Largest vehicle you've operated?

Started by kurumi, June 26, 2019, 11:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Ned Weasel

I'm not winning any contest for the largest, since I never drove doubles or triples.

Second-largest was a 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V.  I test-drove it and considered buying it, but single-digit MPG was a deal-breaker.  It probably would have needed heavy investment in repairs, anyway.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

wriddle082

Quote from: formulanone on July 05, 2019, 06:02:22 PM
26-foot box truck from Penske.

Me too, drove one 450 miles from Nashville to Columbia, loaded with most of my worldly possessions, and through a snowstorm along I-40 through Haywood Co., NC.  When I got through that and pulled off at a rest area on the other side of Asheville, I literally kissed the ground!

sparker

When I was exhibiting audio goods (speakers, amplifiers, etc.) at CES in Las Vegas (from '98 to '03), I normally rented an extended van which was sufficient to move the equipment for our display room.  In 2000, the agency was out of vans, so I had to rent a 26' bobtail (box truck) w/"tommylift" gate (some of the speakers were around 150 pounds each).  Diesel, of course; getting it up the hill NE of Baker (CA) on I-15 was harrowing to say the least (and very slow! -- as was the return trip over Mountain Pass).  But the worst thing about it was its utter lack of maneuverability, particularly in the loading area of the hotel where our display room was located.  I also took out a taillight of a car in a local Safeway parking lot where I was picking up snacks -- nothing like an extra $300 to add to the normal and not insubstantial cost of displaying at the show!  Fortunately, for the ensuing three shows before I stopped doing them I was able to return to the usual large vans.  If I were ever to drive a bobtail again, the circumstances would have to have given me absolutely no choice in the matter; that's something I'll continue to avoid!

Buck87

allniter89

For a couple of years in the 1970s, I drove a bean picker for Green Giant. I don't have the specs of the machine but it was huge.

From 1989 to 2009 I drove a 70' 18 wheeler. I rode thru 48 states.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

kphoger

Quote from: allniter89 on July 07, 2019, 04:47:09 PM
For a couple of years in the 1970s, I drove a bean picker for Green Giant. I don't have the specs of the machine but it was huge.

From 1989 to 2009 I drove a 70' 18 wheeler. I rode thru 48 states.

Bean harvesters are the worst vehicle to encounter head-on while driving a narrow country lane..
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

catch22

On road, the largest Ryder truck they'll rent to the average person.

Off road, my uncle's corn harvester, similar to this one:

tolbs17

Buck87

After helping my cousin move last weekend, mine is now a 26 foot F650 U Haul

Terry

A Ford F-350 with a dump attachment instead of the box. Mostly city driven but had to make some highway runs from SE Edmonton to the city dump.

D-Dey65

1975 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine. I saw it being sold near me, and I asked about it. The owner tried to sell it to me, so I thought I'd try it out. My idea was (if I had actually bought it) to rent it out to movies and/or high school proms where I'd close the windows so the kids could fool around in the back. I couldn't handle it, and the owner saw that and we mutually agreed not to make a deal.

And just for fun, this is my 2323rd post on the AARoads Forum.

Bruce

A Home Depot rental truck (with a Ford Transit van body). It was actually quite easy to handle despite my initial reservations about driving something so large.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Bruce on February 09, 2020, 04:09:18 PM
A Home Depot rental truck (with a Ford Transit van body). It was actually quite easy to handle despite my initial reservations about driving something so large.
Somehow, I think I'd have an easier time with that than the '75 Cadillac Limo.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

andrepoiy

Volkswagen Atlas because I just started to drive and that's my dad's car haha.

7/8

For me, it would be the contractor's Ford F-150 Supercab (only driving it a few blocks on-site). I was not a fan of trying to park it :-D. I much prefer my smaller GTI.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.