News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2016 New Haven/Connecticut River Valley Road Meet - July 23

Started by dgolub, May 02, 2016, 11:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dates are good for you?

July 9
5 (45.5%)
July 16
5 (45.5%)
July 23
7 (63.6%)
July 30
5 (45.5%)
August 6
6 (54.5%)
August 13
6 (54.5%)
August 20
4 (36.4%)
August 27
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

dgolub

As discussed of a prior thread, I'm planning to host a meet this summer in New Haven and the Connecticut River Valley.  It will be a one-day meet based in New Haven on a Saturday, probably with an optional pre-meet walking tour of the Yale campus for anyone who's interested.  Highlights of the meet itself will include the following:

* Oak Street Connector (CT 34) removal
* CT 154 causeway in Old Saybrook
* CT 82 swing bridge in East Haddam
* Arrigoni Bridge (CT 17/CT 66)
* CT 17 and CT 3 expressways, clinched
* Mount Carmel Connector (CT 40) highway-to-nowhere with rock cliffs
* Mountain tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Parkway (CT 15)

So, if you're interested, please indicate your date preferences above.

kurumi

I can't make this one, but you might also like the East Rock Connector freeway stub at I-91 exit 6. This route was going to straddle the Mill River and connect to Route 10A.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

froggie

There's no option to pick more than one date.

dgolub

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2016, 07:30:45 AM
There's no option to pick more than one date.

Is there a way to configure it so that you can?  I couldn't find anything.

froggie

"Maximum votes per user" under Poll options.  To let a user pick up to 3 options, you set that to 3.  If a user can select all options, set the number to how many options you have (in this case, 8).

vdeane

I'm interested.  My calendar is open right now on all those dates, though I'd prefer not July 9 or August 27 and back to back roadtrips can be tiring.

How much of I-95 and CT 15 do you plan to clinch in the tour?  May affect my drive over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2016, 01:29:05 PM
I'm interested.  My calendar is open right now on all those dates, though I'd prefer not July 9 or August 27 and back to back roadtrips can be tiring.

How much of I-95 and CT 15 do you plan to clinch in the tour?  May affect my drive over.

Most likely I-95 exits 44-69 and CT 15 exits 59-67, although I have yet to finalize the route, so it might change a little around the edges.

dgolub

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2016, 11:23:42 AM
"Maximum votes per user" under Poll options.  To let a user pick up to 3 options, you set that to 3.  If a user can select all options, set the number to how many options you have (in this case, 8).

I see.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it lets you change that once the poll has been created.

froggie

Could always ask the mods to fix it.  Or ask them to delete the thread and start afresh.

PHLBOS

At present, my available Saturdays are July 9 & 30 plus August 6, 13 & 27.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

It's adjusted now so that you can select up to eight options in the poll.

Alps

I should remember to keep an eye on this so it doesn't interfere with the Tappan Zee meet. That said, I may find out my weekend options are relatively limited. Let's be in touch.

froggie

For my part, I put the three weekends I'm tentatively available.  We've got a concert the last weekend of July, and my wife is trying to get me to take part in Ride the Dragon, a charity event on Lake Champlain.  Even if I don't participate, I'll be supporting her, so that rules out 7/16 and 8/6.  Classes begin 8/22 so that rules out anything for me from 8/20 on.

As a side note, if anyone's interested in coming up to Burlington on 8/7, that's the day of the charity event.

cl94

I might be able to swing this assuming that it doesn't conflict with the Tappan Zee meet. Would give me an excuse to clinch I-91 and the Merritt.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on May 23, 2016, 10:59:22 AM
I might be able to swing this assuming that it doesn't conflict with the Tappan Zee meet. Would give me an excuse to clinch I-91 and the Merritt.

I doubt that two meets relatively close together, that would draw from the same pool of potential attendees, would be scheduled on the same date. What are the two locations, 90 minutes apart? Wouldn't make a lot of sense to have them conflict.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

It looks like August is winning for mine but July is winning for this, if that helps.

dgolub

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2016, 12:10:05 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 23, 2016, 10:59:22 AM

I doubt that two meets relatively close together, that would draw from the same pool of potential attendees, would be scheduled on the same date. What are the two locations, 90 minutes apart? Wouldn't make a lot of sense to have them conflict.

Probably closer to an hour apart.  I'm hosting this meet and planning to attend Steve's TZ meet, so I'll be making sure they don't get scheduled for the same day.

tckma

I've been through the Heroes Tunnel on CT-15 many times.  It's the only highway tunnel through rock in New England, if memory serves.  Good choice.

Connecticut is also, as you probably know, chock full of stubs of highways cancelled by an epidemic of NIMBY-ism.  Some of these you might consider, if you haven't already:

CT-72 in Bristol.
I-84 exit 11 in Newtown (what the heck was that thing supposed to connect to?).
Portions of US-7 in Fairfield County from I-95 up to New Milford.  Bet THAT road has a few stubs!
The CT-9/I-84 interchange (I-84 exit 39A/CT-9 Exit 31) by the West Farms Mall in Bristol.  South Road may be a good place for a meet photo, although there are sound barriers there that may prevent a good view of the stub -- I've always been a passenger here and the driver has not stopped.  You'll have to do some scouting.
How about a clinch of CT-11, and a look at its stub end at CT-82?
The CT-25 expressway from CT-8.

Despite several visits to the Hartford area owing to my in-laws living there, I haven't seen any of these.

CT-8 has some absolutely fantastic scenery.
CT-9 is potentially interesting in the Middletown area.  I think there's a numbered "exit" for an at-grade intersection there, but I haven't been down that highway in a long while.

All of the weekends in the poll are currently open for me, and my wife is also interested in going (of course combining it with a family visit).

tckma

Depending on how geographically spread you want this, you might also do a drive up I-395 to show Connecticut's first milepost-based exit numbers.

dgolub

Quote from: tckma on May 31, 2016, 02:24:19 PM
I've been through the Heroes Tunnel on CT-15 many times.  It's the only highway tunnel through rock in New England, if memory serves.  Good choice.

Connecticut is also, as you probably know, chock full of stubs of highways cancelled by an epidemic of NIMBY-ism.  Some of these you might consider, if you haven't already:

CT-72 in Bristol.
I-84 exit 11 in Newtown (what the heck was that thing supposed to connect to?).
Portions of US-7 in Fairfield County from I-95 up to New Milford.  Bet THAT road has a few stubs!
The CT-9/I-84 interchange (I-84 exit 39A/CT-9 Exit 31) by the West Farms Mall in Bristol.  South Road may be a good place for a meet photo, although there are sound barriers there that may prevent a good view of the stub -- I've always been a passenger here and the driver has not stopped.  You'll have to do some scouting.
How about a clinch of CT-11, and a look at its stub end at CT-82?
The CT-25 expressway from CT-8.

Despite several visits to the Hartford area owing to my in-laws living there, I haven't seen any of these.

CT-8 has some absolutely fantastic scenery.
CT-9 is potentially interesting in the Middletown area.  I think there's a numbered "exit" for an at-grade intersection there, but I haven't been down that highway in a long while.

All of the weekends in the poll are currently open for me, and my wife is also interested in going (of course combining it with a family visit).

All excellent ideas, although a bit further from New Haven than I was planning to have the meet take us, with the exception of CT 9 in Middletown, which will be part of the meet.  That said, if people are interested, I'd be open to the possibility of adding an informal second day to explore points of interest in the northern and eastern areas of Connecticut, including any or all of your suggestions.

dgolub

OK, I've scheduled the meet for July 23, since that seems to work for the most people.  The Facebook page for the meet is up at https://www.facebook.com/events/742170809219701/.  I'm also planning to host an optional pre-meet walking tour of the campus of Yale University, which happens to be my alma mater.  I've created a separate Facebook event for that at https://www.facebook.com/events/1759501847618948/.  Please RSVP separately for both so that I know how many people to expect for each.  Thanks!

froggie

Hate to do this, but after this weekend and plans that were made, I have to pull my vote for the 23rd.

vdeane

FYI, there's a park and ride near CT 40 if you want to pull an Ottawa.  Otherwise, the best parking would appear to be the garage on CT 34... the parking in the median of Broadway is REALLY expensive!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2016, 12:29:01 PM
FYI, there's a park and ride near CT 40 if you want to pull an Ottawa.  Otherwise, the best parking would appear to be the garage on CT 34... the parking in the median of Broadway is REALLY expensive!

There's also parking at the train station in West Haven, which appears to be free on weekends.

http://ctrides.com/parking

Duke87

If I may suggest something... when I organized my 2011 New Haven meet we started at a restaurant in Hamden explicitly because no place in downtown New Haven had readily available free parking/parking where people could leave their cars undisturbed as we did the tour.

While the particular restaurant we ate at no longer exists (a self storage facility now occupies the property), I would strongly consider doing something similar and starting away from downtown. To have the meetup location for a road meet be in a spot that does not have plentiful free parking is not entirely unprecedented, but it is certainly both unusual and undesirable since almost everyone will be arriving by car.

EDIT: also bear in mind that depending on attendance the venue may need to be capable of accommodating a large group. Not all restaurants are.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.