Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Illinois Tollway Notes

<< < (3/302) > >>

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 22, 2016, 10:20:38 PM ---Yeah, that one was bad news. The open road tolling has made quite a difference at many of them. One that I think the tollway should consider moving is the River Road Toll Plaza on I-90 East. That area is such a bottleneck, and anything the tollway can do to lessen the traffic there would make a world of difference. I know it could cause some complications with having to add plazas on ramps to I-90 East from I-294, but I have to believe there is something they could do about that. I don't know if this is getting into fictional territory...
--- End quote ---

If the plaza for eastbound I-90 was moved west - say to be part of the Devon Toll Plaza - traffic exiting eastbound I-90 to I-294 would be hit up again for tolls right away on I-294.

I do recall seeing a newspaper article from years ago where ISTHA apparently considered adding a new mainline toll plaza for I-90 somewhere around Schaumburg.

Now if there is a toll plaza or two that should be removed from I-90, it should be the ones at the I-290/IL 53 interchange.  It seems like a great missed opportunity with the I-90 rebuild, since the currently untolled ramps at Barrington and Roselle Roads will be tolled.  It would only require two additional plazas, one for the eastbound entrance from Beverly Road (which I hear a lot of people use instead of paying to enter from IL 25), and one for the entrances from IL 59.

ChiMilNet:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on March 29, 2016, 05:54:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 22, 2016, 10:20:38 PM ---Yeah, that one was bad news. The open road tolling has made quite a difference at many of them. One that I think the tollway should consider moving is the River Road Toll Plaza on I-90 East. That area is such a bottleneck, and anything the tollway can do to lessen the traffic there would make a world of difference. I know it could cause some complications with having to add plazas on ramps to I-90 East from I-294, but I have to believe there is something they could do about that. I don't know if this is getting into fictional territory...
--- End quote ---

If the plaza for eastbound I-90 was moved west - say to be part of the Devon Toll Plaza - traffic exiting eastbound I-90 to I-294 would be hit up again for tolls right away on I-294.

I do recall seeing a newspaper article from years ago where ISTHA apparently considered adding a new mainline toll plaza for I-90 somewhere around Schaumburg.

Now if there is a toll plaza or two that should be removed from I-90, it should be the ones at the I-290/IL 53 interchange.  It seems like a great missed opportunity with the I-90 rebuild, since the currently untolled ramps at Barrington and Roselle Roads will be tolled.  It would only require two additional plazas, one for the eastbound entrance from Beverly Road (which I hear a lot of people use instead of paying to enter from IL 25), and one for the entrances from IL 59.

--- End quote ---

My only thought on that is that they might wait and see if IDOT will ever work with them to upgrade the interchange. If so, that could be a time they decide to remove the tolls there.

Sort of on the same topic, is the Meachem Road interchange being designed so that ramps could be added for Eastbound I-90 movements in the future? At the very least, I feel there should at least be an exit ramp for I-90 in this spot, as it could alleviate the mess on I-290 right in that spot near Woodfield (why IDOT didn't have a through auxiliary lane right there is beyond me).

Joe The Dragon:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on March 29, 2016, 05:54:26 PM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
maybe they can get rid of the toll to exit to I-290 if they add new tolls to ramps. Or at least some kind of  virtual ticket to have a big ETC discount for taking an exit after getting on at Barrington and Roselle Roads + IL-59

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 29, 2016, 11:27:53 PM ---Sort of on the same topic, is the Meachem Road interchange being designed so that ramps could be added for Eastbound I-90 movements in the future? At the very least, I feel there should at least be an exit ramp for I-90 in this spot, as it could alleviate the mess on I-290 right in that spot near Woodfield (why IDOT didn't have a through auxiliary lane right there is beyond me).
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately not.  The gore for the ramps to I-290 and IL 53 from eastbound I-90 will be near the Meacham overpass, and the C-D roadway will be too close to the mainline to easily squeeze in future ramps.  Plus the C-D roadway will be under the same overpass as the main lanes, unlike the setup for westbound where the C-D roadway for the I-290/IL 53 ramps uses a shorter, separate structure set back enough from the main lanes to fit the ramps in.  But I suppose if they wanted to get fancy with braiding an eastbound entrance from Meacham and somehow add access to Meacham via Wiley Road (the south outer road for that stretch of I-90) they might be able to pull it off.

In short, I-90 at Meacham probably should have been designed similarly to I-55 at I-270/I-255 and US 50/US 61/US 67 south of St. Louis.  Aerial view of that one from Google

The thinking I've heard is that the new eastbound exit to Roselle, plus the new eastbound exit to Barrington will take some pressure off the EB I-90 to EB I-290 ramp.  I do wonder though about the Tollway not planning for any additional traffic the new ramps may add to mainline.  There's also the possibility that the extra traffic may require more work on Roselle Road, such as filling the gap in the six lane section between IL 62 and Central Road.  Depending how the Motorola campus redevelopes, there could be a push in the future to look at getting another eastbound exit near Meacham.

Joe The Dragon:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on March 30, 2016, 09:19:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 29, 2016, 11:27:53 PM ---Sort of on the same topic, is the Meachem Road interchange being designed so that ramps could be added for Eastbound I-90 movements in the future? At the very least, I feel there should at least be an exit ramp for I-90 in this spot, as it could alleviate the mess on I-290 right in that spot near Woodfield (why IDOT didn't have a through auxiliary lane right there is beyond me).
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately not.  The gore for the ramps to I-290 and IL 53 from eastbound I-90 will be near the Meacham overpass, and the C-D roadway will be too close to the mainline to easily squeeze in future ramps.  Plus the C-D roadway will be under the same overpass as the main lanes, unlike the setup for westbound where the C-D roadway for the I-290/IL 53 ramps uses a shorter, separate structure set back enough from the main lanes to fit the ramps in.  But I suppose if they wanted to get fancy with braiding an eastbound entrance from Meacham and somehow add access to Meacham via Wiley Road (the south outer road for that stretch of I-90) they might be able to pull it off.

In short, I-90 at Meacham probably should have been designed similarly to I-55 at I-270/I-255 and US 50/US 61/US 67 south of St. Louis.  Aerial view of that one from Google

The thinking I've heard is that the new eastbound exit to Roselle, plus the new eastbound exit to Barrington will take some pressure off the EB I-90 to EB I-290 ramp.  I do wonder though about the Tollway not planning for any additional traffic the new ramps may add to mainline.  There's also the possibility that the extra traffic may require more work on Roselle Road, such as filling the gap in the six lane section between IL 62 and Central Road.  Depending how the Motorola campus redevelopes, there could be a push in the future to look at getting another eastbound exit near Meacham.

--- End quote ---

6 lane part being extended a bit but the cemetery is in the way or they can cut into the forest preserve a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version