Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Illinois Tollway Notes

<< < (294/302) > >>

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on August 31, 2022, 06:13:31 PM ---I was at the Lincoln Oasis last week and I was surprised it's half empty. I would think now that Hinsdale closed some of the businesses that were there would have moved over to Lincoln. There is no Taco Bell, KFC or Panera at Lincoln and there was at Hinsdale. Why not move them there? That would make sense. The Lake Forest Oasis to my surprise also has spaces available as well why? With 2 Oasis closed I would think the other 2 remaining ones would be filled with as many tenants as they can take but they're not.

--- End quote ---

Because Oasis interests beyond gas and a bathroom has been waning for many years for general motorists.

When the Tollways had more restrictive options for getting off and on, it had some value, but today with it getting easier to traverse the Tollway system, therefore the Oasis format is less viable as a retail entity.

When they were conceived, autos averaged only 12 mpg on the highway, today with the average highway mpg exceeding 23, cars can travel nearly twice as far without having to stop.

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on August 31, 2022, 06:13:31 PM ---I was at the Lincoln Oasis last week and I was surprised it's half empty. I would think now that Hinsdale closed some of the businesses that were there would have moved over to Lincoln. There is no Taco Bell, KFC or Panera at Lincoln and there was at Hinsdale. Why not move them there? That would make sense. The Lake Forest Oasis to my surprise also has spaces available as well why? With 2 Oasis closed I would think the other 2 remaining ones would be filled with as many tenants as they can take but they're not.

--- End quote ---

The various pandemic restrictions (with Illinois having more than Wisconsin and Indiana) probably didn't help.

The Ghostbuster:
I wonder if any of the still-open Oasises on the tollway system will eventually be closed in the future. The Dekalb Oasis on Interstate 88 and the Belvidere Oasis on Interstate 90 are the only oases that are in rural areas (relatively speaking). If all of the oases on the Tri-State Tollway closed, I'm not sure how much people would miss them, as there are likely plenty of other options in the surrounding communities to get food and fuel from. I assume that is why no oases were built on the Interstate 355 Veterans Memorial Tollway.

CtrlAltDel:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on August 31, 2022, 07:30:07 PM ---When they were conceived, autos averaged only 12 mpg on the highway, today with the average highway mpg exceeding 23, cars can travel nearly twice as far without having to stop.

--- End quote ---

If cars today get twice the mileage, given that there's now about half as many oases as before, it kind of works out.  :-D

Joe The Dragon:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 01, 2022, 07:06:05 PM ---I wonder if any of the still-open Oasises on the tollway system will eventually be closed in the future. The Dekalb Oasis on Interstate 88 and the Belvidere Oasis on Interstate 90 are the only oases that are in rural areas (relatively speaking). If all of the oases on the Tri-State Tollway closed, I'm not sure how much people would miss them, as there are likely plenty of other options in the surrounding communities to get food and fuel from. I assume that is why no oases were built on the Interstate 355 Veterans Memorial Tollway.

--- End quote ---
and say EOE like tolling with lot's of tolling points + filling in the missing ramps may be the final nail in the coffin for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version