News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 24, 2017, 11:05:47 PM
Quote from: tribar on April 24, 2017, 10:52:11 PM
They were talking about this on the news tonight. 

Few things:

The Tri State was built in 1958.  It precedes almost everyone who lives near it. Stop complaining that you might lose land and that it might be too loud. You knew it was there before you moved there. It's already loud with the amount of cars and trucks that use it and the tollway would put up sound barriers. Suck it up or move. Don't ruin it for the millions who use it.

It sounds like they really are going all out in this.  HOV lanes, flex lanes etc. This will be a treat to drive when completed. I only hope they don't make it completely cashless, as doing that with the heaviest traveled area on the system is asinine.

They mentioned on the news that the Hinsdale Oasis will be demolished and that only the gas stations will remain. I wish they would find a way to keep these in place. Does anyone know the fate of the O'Hare Oasis?

what channel?

WGN

hobsini2

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 17, 2017, 10:39:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2017, 01:41:20 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on April 17, 2017, 01:56:22 AM
Who said anything about toll booths? Oh You.

And you.

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 14, 2017, 10:15:35 AM
Just one entrance and exit north of the toll could/would work wonders.
Quote from: dzlsabe on April 16, 2017, 12:32:52 PM
So this is an eight mile stretch through heavy industrial/river access to residential with essentially one EB exit after a $4 minimum toll.

That is correct.

And I said an exit EB and entrance WB at 87th. Nothing about tolls on those two. Reading (and comprehension) is fundamental. Just a minor payback for this road that very few in adjacent communities use, and Skyway contributes minimal business/jobs to the area.  They even tore down the McDs that was between the booths and the bridge. Tear up the 93rd St exit after the toll but before the bridge AFAIC.

DZ, the existing toll booth on the Skyway is SOUTHEAST of 87th and Anthony. That would require your EB off, WB on ramps to get booths.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7351852,-87.5662883,661m/data=!3m1!1e3

Once again, you don't think about basic things like this. Then you wonder why so many of us don't give you much credibility.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dzlsabe

WHY would it "require" booths again? DONT build them! YOU overthink (or dont?) such basic things. The bridge is the big money maintenance item, thats ALL that needs be tolled. The existing booths accomplish that. Try "thinking outside the envelope" h2. If that doesnt work, just put the stamp on upside down. :spin:

And I feel really bad that YOU dont give me much "credibility". Hillarryous.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

hobsini2

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 24, 2017, 11:22:17 PM
WHY would it "require" booths again? DONT build them! YOU overthink (or dont?) such basic things. The bridge is the big money maintenance item, thats ALL that needs be tolled.

The entire length of the Skyway is a toll road. Not just the bridge. That's why.
FIFY!
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ET21

Few things:

The Tri State was built in 1958.  It precedes almost everyone who lives near it. Stop complaining that you might lose land and that it might be too loud. You knew it was there before you moved there. It's already loud with the amount of cars and trucks that use it and the tollway would put up sound barriers. Suck it up or move. Don't ruin it for the millions who use it.

It sounds like they really are going all out in this.  HOV lanes, flex lanes etc. This will be a treat to drive when completed. I only hope they don't make it completely cashless, as doing that with the heaviest traveled area on the system is asinine.

They mentioned on the news that the Hinsdale Oasis will be demolished and that only the gas stations will remain. I wish they would find a way to keep these in place. Does anyone know the fate of the O'Hare Oasis?

Agreed, residents along I-90 had the same concerns and now that is the gem of the system. Whether they like it or not, a 60 year old highway operating in 2017 and beyond needs an upgrade and will get it.

As for the O'Hare Oasis, I'm sure it would suffer the same fate. However, the 5 lane sections begins just north approaching the Balmoral/190/90/River interchange so maybe you could squeeze in the lanes without suffering the loss
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

the Oasis's have very limited room to add lanes.

As for the ETC ORT will they just cut the shoulders?? 4 lanes ETC?? redo them to have 5 + full shoulders??

GeekJedi

Quote from: dzlsabe

You shouldn't feel bad. None of us give you much "credibility". Hillarryous indeed.

(Insert one of DZ's tired comments about "Wherethefami, WI", cheese curds, brat stop, etc. here)
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on April 24, 2017, 11:40:29 PM

Few things:

Agreed, residents along I-90 had the same concerns and now that is the gem of the system. Whether they like it or not, a 60 year old highway operating in 2017 and beyond needs an upgrade and will get it.

As for the O'Hare Oasis, I'm sure it would suffer the same fate. However, the 5 lane sections begins just north approaching the Balmoral/190/90/River interchange so maybe you could squeeze in the lanes without suffering the loss

It is good that they are at least discussing rebuilding the I-290/I-88 interchange as part of this, but I wonder what exactly they could do. IDOT would have to cooperate, and since they couldn't get cooperation on rebuilding the I-290/IL-53 system interchange in Schaumburg, what makes you think they will be any more successful here? The only way I guess is if IDOT starts construction on the I-290 improvements at the same time (though we all know that is highly unlikely).

Also, have the Oasis outlived their purpose? Is it really going to be a big deal if the O'Hare and Hinsdale Oasis are removed (other than tax revenue for the cities)? With all of the commercial development in the suburbs since the Tri-State opened, I don't think it will be as big of a loss as people think.

(Btw: Everyone stop engaging with dzlsabe. Seriously, just ignore him. He obviously just wants to argue with everyone, so stop feeding him)

Roadgeekteen

WHY would it "require" booths again? DONT build them! YOU overthink (or dont?) such basic things. The bridge is the big money maintenance item, thats ALL that needs be tolled. The existing booths accomplish that. Try "thinking outside the envelope" h2. If that doesnt work, just put the stamp on upside down. :spin:

What's up with You?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

IMHO, it would be a big loss to lose the oases.  There really isn't that much commercial development near the Tri-State, & the interchanges on the central Tri-State make getting on and off difficult.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

tribar

Quote from: Brandon on April 25, 2017, 05:20:17 PM
IMHO, it would be a big loss to lose the oases.  There really isn't that much commercial development near the Tri-State, & the interchanges on the central Tri-State make getting on and off difficult.

Not to mention people don't want to have to pay another toll just to use the bathroom. The main advantage of the oases is that they're part of the tollway network and you don't have to pay to get on or off.

roadman65

Seriously, they want to remove the Oasis?  That is nuts!  Relocate them if they can as many straight through travelers benefit from them being its the acting beltway of Chicago for N-S and E-W through motorists alike.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

I-39

Quote from: tribar on April 25, 2017, 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 25, 2017, 05:20:17 PM

Not to mention people don't want to have to pay another toll just to use the bathroom. The main advantage of the oases is that they're part of the tollway network and you don't have to pay to get on or off.

Well, you can't squeeze five lanes and wide shoulder under the current structures, so they will need to be removed. If they wanted to keep them, they should have rebuilt and lengthened the Oasis bridge decks when they were being reconstructed, but instead, they chose to just rebuild the structure from the bridge deck up.

It's sad, but it looks like in the future, only the Belvidere and Dekalb Oasis will remain.

roadman65

Where else are there service plazas above the roadway outside of Oklahoma on the Will Rogers Turnpike near Vinita, OK?

These are classical designs as other facilities are in the medians or on the side of the roads.

Sheryl Crowe

hobsini2

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 25, 2017, 04:30:03 PM

What's up with You?

Simple answer, he's a radiator.

kphoger

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 24, 2017, 11:23:59 PM
WHY would it "require" booths again? DONT build them! YOU overthink (or dont?) such basic things. The bridge is the big money maintenance item, thats ALL that needs be tolled.

The entire length of the Skyway is a toll road. Not just the bridge. That's why.
FIFY!

us - You should build a new interchange.
toll agency - OK, why?
us - Just trust me on this one.
toll agency - Sure, no problem.
us - And don't put any toll booths on the ramps.
toll agency - So... we pay for this thing and then get no extra money from it?
us - Is that a problem?
toll agency - Hillaryous.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on April 25, 2017, 06:19:57 PM
It's sad, but it looks like in the future, only the Belvidere and Dekalb Oasis will remain.

Since when are the plans to remove the Lake Forest and Lincoln Oases?

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 25, 2017, 08:57:00 PM

My apologies, I shouldn't have been so definitive. I should have said the Belvidere and DeKalb Oasis might be the only ones to remain in the future.

The reason I say that is because I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, the Tollway would want to redo the rest of the system (in the suburbs, that is) to incorporate the wider shoulders and active traffic management that they've done on I-90 and will do on the Central Tri-State. Granted, I doubt they go back and widen those sections for at least 15-20 years at the soonest, but any future improvements to the north and south Tri-State will require the removal of the Lake Forest and Lincoln Oases.

I think the south section (the I-80/294 duplex) will likely need five lanes in ten years (especially since the Illiana is likely dead), and they'll need to redo it anyway since ISTHA didn't rebuild the crossroad bridges to eliminate the "pinch-points" (I guess that is the new Tollway term for the crossroad bridges that were not reconstructed when the road was widened, and have narrow shoulders underneath).

In other news, it looks like the Tollway will be replacing the Bradley Road overpass on the North Tri-State just north of the Lake Forest Oasis next year (it is on their bidding schedule). I wonder if they'll bring the shoulders up to regular standard when they do so.

quickshade

Tollway sent out a release that the Tristate rebuild will require an additional 2.1 billion dollars. Or at least thats what I got from the wording in it. Sounds like no additional increases in the tolls and they will just increase the program length itself. However it really does seem like the tri-State rebuild is not only real, but is going to be one of the biggest undertakings in the tollways history. Seems like they are going head on to solve the problem with the roadway, build it out for the future, work with local communities to solve some issues and overall build something that most will be proud of. I don't blame them. Just not looking forward to that construction schedule.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on April 25, 2017, 09:31:53 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on April 25, 2017, 08:57:00 PM

My apologies, I shouldn't have been so definitive. I should have said the Belvidere and DeKalb Oasis might be the only ones to remain in the future.

The reason I say that is because I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, the Tollway would want to redo the rest of the system (in the suburbs, that is) to incorporate the wider shoulders and active traffic management that they've done on I-90 and will do on the Central Tri-State. Granted, I doubt they go back and widen those sections for at least 15-20 years at the soonest, but any future improvements to the north and south Tri-State will require the removal of the Lake Forest and Lincoln Oases.

I think the south section (the I-80/294 duplex) will likely need five lanes in ten years (especially since the Illiana is likely dead), and they'll need to redo it anyway since ISTHA didn't rebuild the crossroad bridges to eliminate the "pinch-points" (I guess that is the new Tollway term for the crossroad bridges that were not reconstructed when the road was widened, and have narrow shoulders underneath).

In other news, it looks like the Tollway will be replacing the Bradley Road overpass on the North Tri-State just north of the Lake Forest Oasis next year (it is on their bidding schedule). I wonder if they'll bring the shoulders up to regular standard when they do so.

I-80 / I-294 is 4+AUX right now other then IL-1 to Lincoln Oases

north part needs more full interchanges.

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2017, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on April 24, 2017, 11:23:59 PM

FIFY!

us - You should build a new interchange.
toll agency - OK, why?
us - Just trust me on this one.
toll agency - Sure, no problem.
us - And don't put any toll booths on the ramps.
toll agency - So... we pay for this thing and then get no extra money from it?
us - Is that a problem?
toll agency - Hillaryous.

Exactly KP. Yet that goes right over his head.

JREwing78

I'm thankful that I-355 is an option for me to bypass Tri-State construction. It'll be awesome when it's done, but a bear while construction is underway.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 26, 2017, 10:28:33 PM
I'm thankful that I-355 is an option for me to bypass Tri-State construction. It'll be awesome when it's done, but a bear while construction is underway.
they need to widen the I-88 to I-290 part.

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 26, 2017, 11:07:59 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on April 26, 2017, 10:28:33 PM
they need to widen the I-88 to I-290 part.

That'll be trouble with the Arboretum, who will block any further expansion in their section
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

roadman65

Hey somebody deleted a post of mine just reminding other users of troll interaction.  I just said that we should be careful and not engage in discussion with people who will argue back to the point of insult as they live on us doing that.

Considering that the other comebacks posts were not it was deleted by accident when the other user tried his hand at snark back at KP, and I am guessing the moderator thought he was too fresh.

Anyway just backing up I-39 as he did make sense that we antagonize when we try to point out wrongs to that one user, and that we should just ignore him.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.