News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Whatever happened to that guy?  If you complained about the weather in Chicago, he'd respond IT'D BE BETTER IF WE BUILT THE HYPOTENUSE!

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 19, 2018, 09:08:35 AM
Whatever happened to that guy?  If you complained about the weather in Chicago, he'd respond IT'D BE BETTER IF WE BUILT THE HYPOTENUSE!

I thought he was banned?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on June 19, 2018, 12:58:01 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on June 19, 2018, 09:08:35 AM

I thought he was banned?

Yep, and the mods correct me if I'm wrong, he got hit with the ban stick.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

edwaleni

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 18, 2018, 11:28:58 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 17, 2018, 11:10:10 PM
The 2019 Road Atlas no longer shows the proposed 490. Does this mean the proposal is dead. I think it's a bit overkill myself to connect the Elgin O Hare to both 90 and 294. Pick one or the other but really both?

I'm not convinced it's necessary at all given the presence of I-290 and IL-83, but I don't think it make sense to connect IL-390 to I-90 or I-294.

Its all part of the O'Hare Western Access deal that was brokered.

O'Hare would get essentially its last expansion and the western burbs would be allowed to build a western bypass that not only provides passenger access, but physically "ties in" the airport to its current boundaries.

After the deal was struck, Chicago DOT wasted very little time getting their new runways built toot sweet. The state and ISTHA had to slog through the details of finishing their part of fhe deal.

ET21

Quote from: edwaleni on June 19, 2018, 05:17:43 PM
The 2019 Road Atlas no longer shows the proposed 490. Does this mean the proposal is dead. I think it's a bit overkill myself to connect the Elgin O Hare to both 90 and 294. Pick one or the other but really both?

I'm not convinced it's necessary at all given the presence of I-290 and IL-83, but I don't think it make sense to connect IL-390 to I-90 or I-294.

O'Hare would get essentially its last expansion and the western burbs would be allowed to build a western bypass that not only provides passenger access, but physically "ties in" the airport to its current boundaries.

After the deal was struck, Chicago DOT wasted very little time getting their new runways built toot sweet. The state and ISTHA had to slog through the details of finishing their part of fhe deal.

^This

I-490 is gonna help tremendously for the 294/190/90 shitshow and help relieve people going south on 294 by spreading out the flow more.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on June 20, 2018, 08:32:07 AM

^This

I-490 is gonna help tremendously for the 294/190/90 shitshow and help relieve people going south on 294 by spreading out the flow more.

The impact on I-190 will be incremental - the latest plans for expansion show the area that was going to be used for the Western Terminal being used for employee parking and employee security screening.  Passengers and anyone else with airport business will still need to use I-190 to access ORD.

edwaleni

Western burbs tried for years to build a dedicated transit route for the western access to O'Hare. But the City of Chicago wouldnt have it. Afraid it would drain off parking and terminal services revenue. Even the Elgin-OHare was built with room for a "future transit line" down the middle. (Now since removed)

So when O'Hare wanted to expand yet again, the suburban politicos and planners were in a much better position to dictate.

Even now Chicago absolutely refuses to permit any public transit entering/exiting the airport unless they control it. The one they dont control (Metra) doesnt stop on airport property. Its way out in the rental car return lots and you have to change trains.

So this is why we have tollways being built around OHare. Chicago's paranoia about control and patronage.

Its also why they object to the third airport ( which is a different subject) and said they will file suit if it carries the name "Chicago" on it.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: edwaleni on June 20, 2018, 09:20:41 AM
Western burbs tried for years to build a dedicated transit route for the western access to O'Hare. But the City of Chicago wouldnt have it. Afraid it would drain off parking and terminal services revenue. Even the Elgin-OHare was built with room for a "future transit line" down the middle. (Now since removed)

So when O'Hare wanted to expand yet again, the suburban politicos and planners were in a much better position to dictate.

Even now Chicago absolutely refuses to permit any public transit entering/exiting the airport unless they control it. The one they dont control (Metra) doesnt stop on airport property. Its way out in the rental car return lots and you have to change trains.

So this is why we have tollways being built around OHare. Chicago's paranoia about control and patronage.

Its also why they object to the third airport ( which is a different subject) and said they will file suit if it carries the name "Chicago" on it.

Well they did try metra star line but then funding did not happen

SEWIGuy

Does the City of Chicago own the airport?  Are they responsible for the infrastructure investment and paying the bonds that go with it through gate fees, parking fees, etc.?

I believe the answer is yes to both questions.  You can call it "paranoia," but IMO if this were a private business, this is exactly how they would act as well. 

abefroman329

The problem with the Metra line isn't that it doesn't actually enter the airport, it's that there's only infrequent rush hour service on that line, and none on the weekends, and that's on the freight company that owns the line, not the City of Chicago.  And even the people mover extension will be a better solution than the current option (taking a shuttle bus from the station).

Quote from: edwaleni on June 20, 2018, 09:20:41 AMIts also why they object to the third airport ( which is a different subject) and said they will file suit if it carries the name "Chicago" on it.
(a) Gary renamed their airport "Gary/Chicago" with no issues, (b) the obstacle to a third airport is the fact that United and American refuse to use it.  Not that I blame them, both they and the airlines they merged with tried service to MDW, and couldn't get it to work.

abefroman329

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 20, 2018, 09:32:38 AMYou can call it "paranoia," but IMO if this were a private business, this is exactly how they would act as well.

Yup - taxicab companies, limo companies, charter bus operators, etc. all hate the idea of public transit to airports too.

ET21

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 20, 2018, 09:01:12 AM
Quote from: ET21 on June 20, 2018, 08:32:07 AM

^This

The impact on I-190 will be incremental - the latest plans for expansion show the area that was going to be used for the Western Terminal being used for employee parking and employee security screening.  Passengers and anyone else with airport business will still need to use I-190 to access ORD.

Right, but at least have a western loop will still help 294 which is also getting an upgrade. Whether they want to expand eastward or not is up to Chicago, tollway will likely build stubs for a possible eastward expansion whenever the city gets its act together. When all is said and done outside of the airport, 294 and 490 along with 390 will help the general traffic flow across that section of the NW suburbs, especially on roads like Mannheim (12/20/45) and IL-83
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SEWIGuy

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 20, 2018, 09:56:00 AM
The problem with the Metra line isn't that it doesn't actually enter the airport, it's that there's only infrequent rush hour service on that line, and none on the weekends, and that's on the freight company that owns the line, not the City of Chicago.  And even the people mover extension will be a better solution than the current option (taking a shuttle bus from the station).

Quote from: edwaleni on June 20, 2018, 09:20:41 AMIts also why they object to the third airport ( which is a different subject) and said they will file suit if it carries the name "Chicago" on it.
(a) Gary renamed their airport "Gary/Chicago" with no issues, (b) the obstacle to a third airport is the fact that United and American refuse to use it.  Not that I blame them, both they and the airlines they merged with tried service to MDW, and couldn't get it to work.

A Chicago third airport would be a huge waste of money.  Expanding O'Hare, along with Midway, Milwaukee, Rockford, etc. is enough to handle the demand.

Beltway

Sites such as near Kankakee or DeKalb have been studied in the past. 

The problem is that they are seriously far from Chicago, and any new major airport anywhere in the U.S. is hard to obtain funding and approval to build.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Brandon

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 20, 2018, 09:32:38 AM
Does the City of Chicago own the airport?  Are they responsible for the infrastructure investment and paying the bonds that go with it through gate fees, parking fees, etc.?

I believe the answer is yes to both questions.  You can call it "paranoia," but IMO if this were a private business, this is exactly how they would act as well. 

The answer is an unqualified yes.  The City of Chicago owns and operates both airports.
https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/doa.html
https://www.flychicago.com/Pages/default.aspx
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

machias

Quote from: Beltway on June 20, 2018, 12:32:36 PM

The problem is that they are seriously far from Chicago, and any new major airport anywhere in the U.S. is hard to obtain funding and approval to build.

Palwaukee became "Chicago Executive Airport"  and it's a fairly busy airport for business jets and general aviation.

Beltway

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 20, 2018, 11:25:19 PM
Palwaukee became "Chicago Executive Airport"  and it's a fairly busy airport for business jets and general aviation.

That is a result of the idiot mayor that had the one downtown destroyed.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on June 20, 2018, 11:32:54 PM

Because all of the CEOs and other assorted bigwigs at all of the corporations a stone's throw from Pal-Waukee were driving all the way down to Meigs prior to that?

Brandon

Quote from: Beltway on June 20, 2018, 11:32:54 PM

Meigs was not used for those types of planes (private, executive jets).  Meigs was more along the lines of Cessnas.

SEWIGuy

The idea of closing Meigs was fine.  The way it was closed by the Mayor was ridiculous. 

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 21, 2018, 10:23:36 AM
The idea of closing Meigs was fine.  The way it was closed by the Mayor was ridiculous.
Meigs was the longtime default airport in Microsoft Flight Simulator even after 9/11

mgk920

Meigs was essentially the 'flagship' of general aviation airports.

Mike

Beltway

Quote from: mgk920 on June 21, 2018, 11:12:24 AM
Mike

The following air carriers operated scheduled passenger service at Meigs Field at various times during its existence:
Air Illinois, which in late 1970s regularly flew the 44-seat Hawker Siddeley HS 748 turboprop, the largest aircraft ever scheduled into Meigs.
Blade Helicopters
Britt Airways
Chicago Helicopter Airways
Gopher Airlines
Great Lakes Airlines (as Great Lakes Aviation dba United Express operating code share service for United Airlines)
Hub Airlines
Illini Airlines
Midwest Commuter Airways
Ozark Air Lines
Skystream Airlines
Trans States Airlines (as Trans World Express operating code share service for TWA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Brandon

Quote from: Beltway on June 21, 2018, 11:19:57 AM
Mike

The following air carriers operated scheduled passenger service at Meigs Field at various times during its existence:
Air Illinois, which in late 1970s regularly flew the 44-seat Hawker Siddeley HS 748 turboprop, the largest aircraft ever scheduled into Meigs.
Blade Helicopters
Britt Airways
Gopher Airlines
Great Lakes Airlines (as Great Lakes Aviation dba United Express operating code share service for United Airlines)
Hub Airlines
Illini Airlines
Midwest Commuter Airways
Ozark Air Lines
Skystream Airlines
Trans States Airlines (as Trans World Express operating code share service for TWA)

At various times.  By the year 2000, it was a general aviation airport with maybe a few helicopters.

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on June 21, 2018, 11:21:25 AM
Quote from: Beltway on June 21, 2018, 11:19:57 AM
Mike

Blade Helicopters
Britt Airways
Gopher Airlines
Hub Airlines
Illini Airlines
Midwest Commuter Airways
Ozark Air Lines
Skystream Airlines

At various times.  By the year 2000, it was a general aviation airport with maybe a few helicopters.

I'm almost positive there was commercial service to Springfield up till its closure, if not very close to its closure.  You are correct that it was mainly GA prop planes, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.