News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 01, 2022, 07:06:05 PM
I wonder if any of the still-open Oasises on the tollway system will eventually be closed in the future. The Dekalb Oasis on Interstate 88 and the Belvidere Oasis on Interstate 90 are the only oases that are in rural areas (relatively speaking).
I wouldn't be shocked at all if DeKalb and Belvidere closed.

Annie Glidden Rd has plenty of services up towards NIU, and the only reason the area at the end of the interchange hasn't popped up services is due to the Oasis. Not to mention the Rochelle exit is near and is free and has services

The Belvidere Oasis has plenty of nearby services. From the Chicago side, the Marengo exit is a free exit with plenty of services avilable. Coming from Rockford, there are plenty of services available in Rockford. Belvidere itself has services at its exits.

Long story short, neither "rural"  Oasis is really necessary anymore

dvferyance

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 02, 2022, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 01, 2022, 07:06:05 PM
I wonder if any of the still-open Oasises on the tollway system will eventually be closed in the future. The Dekalb Oasis on Interstate 88 and the Belvidere Oasis on Interstate 90 are the only oases that are in rural areas (relatively speaking).
I wouldn't be shocked at all if DeKalb and Belvidere closed.

Annie Glidden Rd has plenty of services up towards NIU, and the only reason the area at the end of the interchange hasn't popped up services is due to the Oasis. Not to mention the Rochelle exit is near and is free and has services

The Belvidere Oasis has plenty of nearby services. From the Chicago side, the Marengo exit is a free exit with plenty of services avilable. Coming from Rockford, there are plenty of services available in Rockford. Belvidere itself has services at its exits.

Long story short, neither "rural"  Oasis is really necessary anymore
The Rochelle exit is almost 20 miles from the DeKalb Oasis. There really aren't any services at either DeKalb exit near the tollway. There is a Casey's on Peace Rd but it's a good several miles from the tollway and I beleive there is a toll at that exit. The DeKalb Oasis is definitely needed. I was there back in May it gets a fair amount of traffic. It's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

JoePCool14

I'm gonna also say that the Belvidere Oasis is nice to have too. I know that it's personal bias, but I think it still has its place. I don't think it should close.

The Lake Forest Oasis I can definitely see closing. I would be disappointed, but I can understand it.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Revive 755

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 02, 2022, 01:35:22 PM
One more thing that's contributing to the lack of traffic in Oases that no one has brought up yet: In the age of ETC, it's not really THAT inconvenient to leave and re-enter a tollway.

It might not be inconvenient, but it can result in a nice extra toll for exiting or reentering (or both at some interchanges).  Based on the I-Pass passenger car rates on the Tollway's website:

* I-88 at Peace Road:  $0.75
* I-88 at Anne Glidden Road:  $1.05
* I-90 at Genoa Road:  $0.75 to exit westbound, $0.55 to exit eastbound

SSOWorld

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 02, 2022, 10:50:49 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 02, 2022, 01:35:22 PM
One more thing that's contributing to the lack of traffic in Oases that no one has brought up yet: In the age of ETC, it's not really THAT inconvenient to leave and re-enter a tollway.

It might not be inconvenient, but it can result in a nice extra toll for exiting or reentering (or both at some interchanges).  Based on the I-Pass passenger car rates on the Tollway's website:

* I-88 at Peace Road:  $0.75
* I-88 at Anne Glidden Road:  $1.05
* I-90 at Genoa Road:  $0.75 to exit westbound, $0.55 to exit eastbound
You can thank ISTHA for that - making deals with local munis to cover and make driver pay for it to weasel their way out of it (typical).  Several I-90 interchanges (west ramps to Irene, Genoa (which was free before the reconstruction of I-90), 23, 47, and the west ramps to Barrington Roselle and Elmhurst.  294 has Balmoral, the north ramps to 57 and 147th.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

skluth

I always liked the Lake Forest Oasis before I started avoiding the Tri-State completely (using I-39) on my trips between St Louis and Green Bay. It was a nice place to relax and get my bearings upon entering Illinois. I'd usually grab a bite to eat and hit the rest room, though I'd wait to get gas until I got to past Joliet (about the halfway point and cheaper than gas at the oasis). I'd rarely stop going north, preferring to stop at the WI Welcome Center instead. I rarely used the other oases, but I also mostly either travelled on the Tri-State between WI and I-55 and the Northwest on its I-39 concurrency. I don't remember I-355 having an oasis (I-355/Palatine Rd/ Willow Rd is less stressful than the Stevenson/Tri-State main line) and I've never driven I-88 in Illinois, so I won't comment on those.

I think they can get rid of all the cross-highway buildings, close about half the oases, and get by with something like a nice Wawa or QuikTrip at any oasis kept open.

hobsini2

Quote from: skluth on September 03, 2022, 02:33:52 PM
I always liked the Lake Forest Oasis before I started avoiding the Tri-State completely (using I-39) on my trips between St Louis and Green Bay. It was a nice place to relax and get my bearings upon entering Illinois. I'd usually grab a bite to eat and hit the rest room, though I'd wait to get gas until I got to past Joliet (about the halfway point and cheaper than gas at the oasis). I'd rarely stop going north, preferring to stop at the WI Welcome Center instead. I rarely used the other oases, but I also mostly either travelled on the Tri-State between WI and I-55 and the Northwest on its I-39 concurrency. I don't remember I-355 having an oasis (I-355/Palatine Rd/ Willow Rd is less stressful than the Stevenson/Tri-State main line) and I've never driven I-88 in Illinois, so I won't comment on those.

I think they can get rid of all the cross-highway buildings, close about half the oases, and get by with something like a nice Wawa or QuikTrip at any oasis kept open.
I-355 never had any Oases.  A little side not on the Oases. Back prior to 1980ish, there were several that had Howard Johnson's Restaurants.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

skluth

Quote from: hobsini2 on September 03, 2022, 02:55:40 PM

I-355 never had any Oases.  A little side not on the Oases. Back prior to 1980ish, there were several that had Howard Johnson's Restaurants.

I'm pretty sure Lake Forest was a HoJos back in the day. Don't remember the others.

hobsini2

Quote from: skluth on September 03, 2022, 03:50:53 PM

I'm pretty sure Lake Forest was a HoJos back in the day. Don't remember the others.
I recall the Des Plaines and Hinsdale were ones as well. I may be wrong. I was 4 at the time.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

abefroman329

Quote from: hobsini2 on September 03, 2022, 03:59:23 PM
Quote from: skluth on September 03, 2022, 03:50:53 PM

I recall the Des Plaines and Hinsdale were ones as well. I may be wrong. I was 4 at the time.
They were.  And before that, they were Harvey Houses (as depicted in Inside Llewyn Davis).

Great Lakes Roads

ilpt4u

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 07, 2022, 10:59:44 PM
https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/1188102/20220906+-+Tri-State+Tollway+%28I-294%29_I-57+Interchange+Ramps+Complete%2C+Scheduled+to+Open+to+Traffic+on+September+11.pdf/c446e0b4-876f-29fe-8837-b12b6d0ab670?t=1662504105798

Looks like phase 2 of the I-294/I-57 interchange will be finally opening to traffic on the night of September 11th, 2 full years ahead of schedule!
I bumped the 5-year dormant thread on the interchange with a link to the Chicago Trubune story on the planned opening this weekend

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=98.0

abefroman329

This was posted to O'Hare's FB page - I thought it was an interesting view of construction on I-490:

ET21

294 observations from this past weekend. I wasn't able to get good looks at the 290/88 interchange work due to nighttime darkness.

-From 95th to Hinsdale Oasis: NB lanes have been shifted back to the right onto new concrete/pavement as they begin to rebuild the middle from the toll booth to just before LaGrange Rd. No changes otherwise, rebuild continues for the new right lanes over I-55 and between I-55/Plainfield Rd. Concrete has begun to get laid for the new SB lanes between the toll booth and 95th, still have to use the one right lane to access 95th.

New bridge beams are up over 87th/Roberts. Mile long bridge continues work, Plainfield Rd bridge has begun to rebuild the other half.

-From Hinsdale to St. Charles Rd: NB lanes have been shifted now from Ogden to the I-88 WB ramp as the Ogden interchange work really gets going. New noise wall beams have also begun to go up but couldn't see the extent due to nighttime darkness. No changes otherwise going through St. Charles Rd. SB lanes are shifted at St. Charles as they begin to rebuild the roadway underneath the bridge. Minor shifts between Cermak and Ogden due to repaving efforts/Ogden Ave interchange work.

The BNSF bridge is fully complete and the shoulder on both sides are being cleared out to begin building the new roadway. The new pedestrian bridge by 47th St remains at 50%, only the NB lanes section is up.

-From St. Charles Rd to Balmoral: New SB lanes between North Ave and St. Charles continues work. The entire center section is now being rebuilt with the most significant construction around the future 490 JCT where a central pier is being built into the median.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ET21

Added note: The new I-55 to NB 294 is now open. The old ramp is slowly being torn down.

Clinched:

Crash_It

Quote from: ET21 on October 09, 2022, 01:11:52 PM
Added note: The new I-55 to NB 294 is now open. The old ramp is slowly being torn down.

People had a real hard time with the original one. Can't wait to see it.

KMOX4

JREwing78

Quote from: KMOX4 on October 22, 2022, 10:24:55 PM
https://www.cmtengr.com/project/illinois-tollway-congestion-relief/ Is this a old one or new?

Looks old to me. Open Road Tolling has been a thing for at least the past decade on the Tollway. I've also observed no effort to remove the non-open-road tollbooths.

roadman65

Is there a reason why there is no NB exit to IL 171( Archer Avenue) on I-294?  Considering IL 171 has access to SB I-294, you would figure the opposite direction would have equal access.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ChiMilNet

Quote from: roadman65 on October 22, 2022, 11:23:04 PM
Is there a reason why there is no NB exit to IL 171( Archer Avenue) on I-294?  Considering IL 171 has access to SB I-294, you would figure the opposite direction would have equal access.

Long story short, tollways were originally setup to feed traffic to the tollbooths and (at the time) the new O'Hare Airport. While many of the interchanges have been updated to have all directional access (see recent I-90 reconstruction as a great example of this), many tollways, especially I-294 still have many of these legacy interchange setups. Oddly, even with the reconstruction ongoing on Central I-294, there doesn't seem to be much appetite to add additional access on 294, aside from the recently finished interchange at I-57.

ilpt4u

Quote from: roadman65 on October 22, 2022, 11:23:04 PM
There used to be a NB exit to Cork/88th Ave, only 2-3 blocks south of 171/Archer Ave, and ISTHA is putting that one back in as part of the Central Tri-State rebuild project
Quote from: ChiMilNet on October 23, 2022, 12:26:03 AM
Long story short, tollways were originally setup to feed traffic to the tollbooths and (at the time) the new O'Hare Airport. While many of the interchanges have been updated to have all directional access (see recent I-90 reconstruction as a great example of this), many tollways, especially I-294 still have many of these legacy interchange setups. Oddly, even with the reconstruction ongoing on Central I-294, there doesn't seem to be much appetite to add additional access on 294, aside from the recently finished interchange at I-57.
Look at I-55 and I-294. There will still be no direct ramp from SB I-55 to SB I-294 once this rebuild project is done. To make the movement, the signed routing is I-55S->LaGrange Rd S/US 12/20/45->I-294S. At least LaGrange Rd is Freeflow between the two interchanges. It is just short of Freeway due to one at-grade access point at Lawndale Ave/Canal Bank Rd for RIROs only/no crossing over and no left turns, on the island between the canal and the river

Other option to make the movement is to take 55S beyond the 294 exit to the County Line Rd Cloverleaf, and wind your way back to 55N and then take the 55N->294S ramp

ET21

Some notes from this past Friday evening (SB 294 only)

-The SB right lane was being torn up between 82nd St Toll and 95th, the exit to 95th was really janky as you had to cross over the lane plus the pavement divot when the ramp splits from the highway. It was supposed to be completed by this morning.

-The new SB Mile Long bridge is open, the old bridge has begun getting torn down.

-The north side of the Plainfield Rd bridge is awaiting bridge beams. The new center piers are finished.

-The pedestrian pathway by 47th St is fully up. Side work has commenced to complete that bridge.

-Much of SB 294 is almost fully resurfaced between I-88 and I-55. Looks like one final repaving before they begin to rebuild all the lanes in this section.

-There are new overhead signs between the Bensenville Bridge & the west I-290 ramp on SB 294. I feel a couple of them are temporary and will be updated as construction progresses. 

Clinched:

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/1291249/Meeting+Exhibits+-+PM2+-+10042022.pdf/4999c7dd-ada7-c362-7cb1-12533a58bc10?t=1665069112916

Here are the exhibits from the Illinois Route 390's U.S. Route 20 Interchange Improvement Study. A partial DDI, along with a one-lane each direction extension to County Farm Road, is recommended to move forward.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 24, 2022, 11:32:34 PM
https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/1291249/Meeting+Exhibits+-+PM2+-+10042022.pdf/4999c7dd-ada7-c362-7cb1-12533a58bc10?t=1665069112916

Here are the exhibits from the Illinois Route 390's U.S. Route 20 Interchange Improvement Study. A partial DDI, along with a one-lane each direction extension to County Farm Road, is recommended to move forward.
one lane? and is setup so they can extend the road at an later time?

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 25, 2022, 11:07:57 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 24, 2022, 11:32:34 PM

one lane? and is setup so they can extend the road at an later time?

No it looks like essentially a long on/off ramp. Going WB you either exit at US-20 or County Farm, EB you hop on at either County Farm or US-20. Plus it looks like they want you to get on EB 390 from County Farm as they eliminate the on ramp from EB US 20 to EB 390

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.