News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicHasClass

QuoteIs it legal for a passenger car to use a truck bypass?

Yes, it's absolutely legal. The restriction is on the trucks, not you. https://www.pe.com/2018/01/21/on-the-road-what-are-the-rules-for-truck-bypass-lanes/

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 01, 2022, 04:50:45 PM
Quote from: GaryA on June 01, 2022, 04:44:02 PM
Is it legal for a passenger car to use a truck bypass?  This was prompted by Memorial Day traffic at the Lebec 5/99 merge, where taking the truck bypass was noticeably faster than staying in the car lanes.  The signage (https://goo.gl/maps/HuJBbCjZSvHXHPhu5) in this case has a BGS over the car lanes with "Passenger Cars / Buses", and a BWS over the truck lanes with "Trucks / All Trailers".

Yes, as far as I know.  I use the truck bypass on I-5 northbound at CA 14 almost every time I'm heading into Santa Clarita due to the general use lanes clogging.

I often do the same eastbound on CA 60 at the I-215 split near Moreno Valley for the same reason. The truck bypass is often almost empty.

SeriesE

Quote from: GaryA on June 01, 2022, 04:44:02 PM
Is it legal for a passenger car to use a truck bypass?  This was prompted by Memorial Day traffic at the Lebec 5/99 merge, where taking the truck bypass was noticeably faster than staying in the car lanes.  The signage (https://goo.gl/maps/HuJBbCjZSvHXHPhu5) in this case has a BGS over the car lanes with "Passenger Cars / Buses", and a BWS over the truck lanes with "Trucks / All Trailers".

I think so. The northbound I-5/I-405 truck bypass in Orange County even has local traffic (from Lake Forest Dr and Bake Pkwy) merge in to the truck bypass lanes, so it has to be legal for non-trucks to use those lanes.

bing101

A Caltrans Worker has died on duty from Hit and Run Injuries on a section of I-80 in Vacaville area.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/caltrans-worker-killed-vacaville-interstate-hihgway-80-hit-run/

kkt

Quote from: bing101 on June 05, 2022, 11:39:58 PM
A Caltrans Worker has died on duty from Hit and Run Injuries on a section of I-80 in Vacaville area.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/caltrans-worker-killed-vacaville-interstate-hihgway-80-hit-run/

RIP.  I hope her children do okay.  Sure, they'll have something from the memorial fund and maybe some insurance, but they need a mom, not just a pile of money.

roadman65

I find it interesting that I-5 and US 101 both have different standards for assigning mileage control cities.

One has two destinations (the interstate) and the other ( the US Route) has three.

On other roads it seems to be the latter as I mostly encountered three destinations.  Yet I-5 seems to have a different standard.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

I-10 also has signs with two control cities. At least here and here. But not here or here.

jdbx

Quote from: skluth on June 08, 2022, 11:27:24 AM
I-10 also has signs with two control cities. At least here and here. But not here or here.

It takes a keen eye to spot the acknowledgement of the existence of that Other Desert City (Phoenix) by name on I-10.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jdbx on June 08, 2022, 12:44:01 PM
Quote from: skluth on June 08, 2022, 11:27:24 AM

It takes a keen eye to spot the acknowledgement of the existence of that Other Desert City (Phoenix) by name on I-10.

Which also happens to lie just east of the "other Desert Cities."

TheStranger

Driving home from Berkeley early this morning around 1:30 AM...saw Caltrans crews working on the signage for the I-80 westbound ramp at 5th Street in SF (the ramp that used to carry US 40 and 50 to surface streets prior to the 1950s).

Essentially they were adding the external left exit tab (which had been missing for a couple of weeks) to this sign.  The previous sign had an internal exit tab dating from about 2009 or so.

Interesting to contrast that with another 2022-era sign install set, the stretch of US 101/Bayshore Freeway between the Central Freeway and Alemany Maze, where all the new signs have internal exit tabs (particularly at Silver Avenue and at the ramps to I-280)!  The signs along this segment replace retroreflective, no-exit-number installations from around 2000-2003.
Chris Sampang

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on June 08, 2022, 10:26:42 AM

One has two destinations (the interstate) and the other ( the US Route) has three.

On other roads it seems to be the latter as I mostly encountered three destinations.  Yet I-5 seems to have a different standard.

If I'd been designing that sign on I-5, I would have put a third destination, for Mount Shasta.

Techknow

Quote from: TheStranger on June 08, 2022, 03:26:52 PM
Driving home from Berkeley early this morning around 1:30 AM...saw Caltrans crews working on the signage for the I-80 westbound ramp at 5th Street in SF (the ramp that used to carry US 40 and 50 to surface streets prior to the 1950s).

Essentially they were adding the external left exit tab (which had been missing for a couple of weeks) to this sign.  The previous sign had an internal exit tab dating from about 2009 or so.

Interesting to contrast that with another 2022-era sign install set, the stretch of US 101/Bayshore Freeway between the Central Freeway and Alemany Maze, where all the new signs have internal exit tabs (particularly at Silver Avenue and at the ramps to I-280)!  The signs along this segment replace retroreflective, no-exit-number installations from around 2000-2003.
Interesting observations! I haven't traveled through there since January this year, I always been on freeways south of I-80. But I will be driving to the East Bay this Sunday. I love to see one of these external exit tabs pop up in the wild!

Techknow

Couple observations as I drove to work and home after chit chatting with friends:

• The US 101 express lanes from I-380 to CA 84 are still under construction. It appears the speed limit through this whole stretch of freeway is 55 MPH. According to GSV these 55 MPH signs have been there for a couple years. I was disappointed! Despite this, I still managed to drive 28 miles (via I-280, I-380, US 101, CA 84) in 40 minutes at 8 AM!
  • Went back home by driving on I-280 from Sand Hill Road. I am reminded of how little light pollution there is. Yes there's lampposts and low beams from cars. But in the background there's little to no lights.

bing101

Here is a tour of the current alignment of CA-58 from Barstow to Bakersfield. Video by Rockersk08.

Occidental Tourist

Great video!  The age references made me feel super old!  :-D

nexus73

Back in 2017 my friend and I were on an Elvis pilgrimage to Memphis.  One of our stops was at a 2nd rate motel in Mojave.  The windmills are lit up at night so that was quite the display! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ClassicHasClass

There are first rate motels in Mojave?  :pan:

kkt

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 11, 2022, 04:13:58 PM
There are first rate motels in Mojave?  :pan:

No, but there are 4th rate ones.  Went to stay at one and asked the see the room.  It was dusk, the, um, innkeeper opened the door and turned on the light and the floor was a solid mass of roaches scattering.

Techknow

Quote from: TheStranger on June 08, 2022, 03:26:52 PM

Your observations are indeed correct and I was able to snap some photos that show some of the new signs, including these external left exit tabs!

The Seventh Street exit sign now has an exit number:

The Vermont Street exit has an exit number and the truck restriction is now clarified for those over 3 (American) tons:

Now the best for last, the external left exit tabs for exit 2B of I-80 west. There is also one for exit 2A that I did not take a photo of. I did not see any other external exit tabs other than those three.

kernals12

AB 1778 is dead!

https://cal.streetsblog.org/2022/06/29/no-freeway-expansion-bill-dies-in-senate-committee/

Hopefully this year's elections bring a less woke legislature and this is the last we'll ever see of such an asinine idea.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on June 30, 2022, 03:13:51 PM
AB 1778 is dead!

https://cal.streetsblog.org/2022/06/29/no-freeway-expansion-bill-dies-in-senate-committee/

Hopefully this year's elections bring a less woke legislature and this is the last we'll ever see of such an asinine idea.

Certainly didn't help that labor unions in the affected communities strongly opposed it.  It read as though nobody even bothered to consult anyone at the community level.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 30, 2022, 03:36:53 PM
AB 1778 is dead!

Certainly didn't help that labor unions in the affected communities strongly opposed it.  It read as though nobody even bothered to consult anyone at the community level.

Also, why would Governor Newsom sign a bill banning freeway improvements his administration has supported?

skluth

Quote from: kernals12 on June 30, 2022, 03:43:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 30, 2022, 03:36:53 PM
AB 1778 is dead!

Also, why would Governor Newsom sign a bill banning freeway improvements his administration has supported?

Really annoying squeaky wheels got greased

TheStranger

Got to travel along 91, 55, and 22 yesterday, and got some photos (including the external tab photo I posted in the thread about those) -

- Freeway name sign (Chino Valley Freeway) at the 71/83 junction
_DSC8789e by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

- Old button copy on 55 south
_DSC8801c by Chris Sampang, on Flickr
_DSC8804c by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

- Interesting to see that the newer, retroreflective (with exit tab) sign has the freeway name alone on it for 22 west (Garden Grove Freeway), while the older sign has a control city plus freeway name.
_DSC8803c by Chris Sampang, on Flickr
Chris Sampang

coldmoney21

Don't think I've seen anybody else posting this but at least in Los Angeles they're updating some freeway signs again! :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.