News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Angry rant about NCDOT and their road projects (Language adjusted)

Started by tolbs17, December 05, 2019, 04:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Ok, so when US-64 and US-264 were both going to be designated as an interstate, what the fuck is NCDOT doing?!?! If anything, I would make an I-46 and I-99 from Raleigh to Norfolk and have the route have TO I-99 signs!!!! Also, make an I-44 from Raleigh to Washington, NC would be a great idea!!

Also, make a I-246 if you can't do I-44.

What is up with the East End Connector and the Winston-salem Northern Beltway? Aren't those supposed to be fucking done by now?? I hope NCDOT doesn't have projects that would be delayed. It pisses me off and I'm sure it makes me and everyone feel like shit!!!!

Greenville urban projects like Allen Rd, Firetower rd, 14th st widening and Evans widening are all delayed to 2024. And what's up with the US 29 601 interchange?!?!?!?!?! Is this a fucking joke? It was originally supposed to be complete in summer 2018. But did it get pushed back 2 years or are they just taking a break? This is ridiculous.

Making US 1 a freeway?!?!?!?! What that will do with anything??? Will it EVER happen because it got pushed back? I'm like really. Holy shit!!
I'm guessing is due to budget issues and as i said, NCDOT takes FOREVER to get stuff done.

This is the end of my rant, goodbye.

Max Rockatansky

Geeze...I'd hate to find out what your opinion on stuff like CA 99, CA 210 and CA 905 would be.  North Carolina is probably one of the more aggressive states presently in attempting to pursue new Interstate designations. 

RoadPelican

East End Connector is supposed to be done next summer.  It was supposed to be done by the end of 2019.

Roadsguy

Somehow NCDOT manages to somehow be one of the best DOTs and one of the worst at the same time...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Scott5114

I have to admit, I got a good laugh out of the concept of the NCDOT snail-fucking division.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 05, 2019, 09:45:19 PM
Somehow NCDOT manages to somehow be one of the best DOTs and one of the worst at the same time...
I say they are good at planning and building highways and not so good when it comes to making new interstates. Like who in the hell would design US 70 as I-36 (NCDOT's original idea)? AASHTO made it I-42 because it fits in the grid. I think NCDOT needs to learn how the interstate highway system works.

ozarkman417

Ouch... I can't speak for North Carolina as I have never been there. Sometimes, I wonder why crucial infrastructure here is simply pushed to the side, like the Bella Vista Bypass. Missouri voters have voted down taxes that benefit transportation time and time again, which may be a contributing factor.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tolbs17

Alright guys, let's get back on topic.

Why the hell do we have I-74 in North Carolina?

Why isn't the Winston-Salem northern beltway a complete (full 360) beltway?!

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/TPBCTP/Winston%20Salem/WSMPO_CTP_Highway.pdf

What happened to the part that would connect goddamn I-74 to US 158? Is that project scrapped or what?! Idk....

What happened to the airport connector? That would have been a new freeway (with tolls) that would connect to the airport and I could possibly use my proposed I-48 to going there! They left no space for any extension. Maybe they want to widen I-40 instead?? Instead of widening highways, why don't you build new ones?! That would help traffic flow and not fuck around with the traffic on existing highways.

Airport connector and US 158 and I-74 connector
http://prntscr.com/q7lk88

Southern Winston-salem beltway
http://prntscr.com/q7lkim

This interchange NEEDS to be a FREE FLOWING interchange! If you want an interstate coming here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2606157,-78.0832955,15.08z

ozarkman417

I would recommend that the title of this rant be changed to "Angry rant about NCDOT" since it is the common denominator to all the problems brought up in the rant.
It was a good move on my part to take a screenshot of the original rant.

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 07, 2019, 12:18:51 PM
I would recommend that the title of this rant be changed to "Angry rant about NCDOT" since it is the common denominator to all the problems brought up in the rant.
Alright, I changed the title of the thread.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 07, 2019, 12:18:51 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2019, 09:54:04 PM
I have to admit, I got a good laugh out of the concept of the NCDOT snail-fucking division.

Now I want to know what the original rant was...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

sprjus4

RoadPelican

I think making all of US 1 a freeway would be a good idea, it would help spur economic development in Franklin and Vance Counties north of Raleigh.  Pfizer in Lee County probably doesn't get built if US 1 is not a full freeway from Sanford to Raleigh. 

South of Sanford making US 1 a freeway would make the Southern Pines-Moore County more desirable to retirees, although the allure of golf at Pinehurst is a good start, and if you continue the freeway to Rockingham maybe tie it into the I-73 corridor and maybe NASCAR will come back to Rockingham Raceway.

As for Greenville projects getting pushed back, I think that city still gets the "it's a small town in the middle of nowhere" by NCDOT, similar to the "it's a little beach town" mentality that Wilmington is STILL to a lot of NCDOT bureaucrats.

wdcrft63

Quote from: RoadPelican on December 07, 2019, 05:29:58 PM
I think making all of US 1 a freeway would be a good idea, it would help spur economic development in Franklin and Vance Counties north of Raleigh.  Pfizer in Lee County probably doesn't get built if US 1 is not a full freeway from Sanford to Raleigh. 

South of Sanford making US 1 a freeway would make the Southern Pines-Moore County more desirable to retirees, although the allure of golf at Pinehurst is a good start, and if you continue the freeway to Rockingham maybe tie it into the I-73 corridor and maybe NASCAR will come back to Rockingham Raceway.

As for Greenville projects getting pushed back, I think that city still gets the "it's a small town in the middle of nowhere" by NCDOT, similar to the "it's a little beach town" mentality that Wilmington is STILL to a lot of NCDOT bureaucrats.
?? US 1 already is a full freeway between Raleigh and Sanford, although it would need some upgrades to reach interstate standards. There's a stoplight at NC 78 in Tramway, just south of Sanford, but most of US 1 from there almost to Southern Pines is a near-freeway with only two at-grade intersections, both in the "smart" configuration. The Sandor-Southern Pines section was upgraded to support major golf tournaments in the Pinehurst area.

Scott5114

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 07, 2019, 05:24:50 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 07, 2019, 01:19:31 PM
Now I want to know what the original rant was...
Just the word "f--k" used a lot more.

No, he used the word fuck a lot more.

Also there was a bit that was suggested that NCDOT's slow pace on certain projects was due to the organization's desire to have sex with snails. (I'd like to see the minutes of the meeting where that was put on their eight-year plan.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mileage Mike

I'd actually say NCDOT is one of the best DOTs right now. They've done a pretty good job on most of their latest projects. NC freeways look a LOT better and higher quality than they did 30-40 years ago.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Cemajr on December 08, 2019, 03:19:43 PM
I'd actually say NCDOT is one of the best DOTs right now. They've done a pretty good job on most of their latest projects. NC freeways look a LOT better and higher quality than they did 30-40 years ago.

That was might point of contention on the harshness of the original version of the opening post.  There are a lot of DOTs that deserve critical scorn way more than NCDOT does these days.  It

sprjus4

^ Agree his arguments do have valid concerns, but NCDOT is still getting it done faster than any other state would, even if it's delayed.

Roadsguy

Even what I said about them being one of the best and worst DOTs at the same time may be a bit harsh, since there's not a whole lot about their major projects that I can really point to as being downright stupid other than clearly not knowing how 3di numbering directionality works. Well, that and the numbers of I-87 and I-540, but that's another discussion. Of course, I don't live anywhere near NC and have only been there three times, so I don't know anything about minor projects or general maintenance quality.

They may take forever to do any one of their million major projects, but PennDOT for instance takes forever to do any of their major projects that feel like they can be counted on one hand. To steal an analogy I heard about multi-core computer processors, nine women can't make a baby in a month, but they can make nine babies in nine months. I guess all they can do is have a lot of projects in development and that all the design, environmental permitting, ROW acquisition, etc. takes just as long as in every other state.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tolbs17

Quote from: Cemajr on December 08, 2019, 03:19:43 PM
I say they are good at planning and building highways and not so good when it comes to making new interstates.

That's what I said... Haha

tolbs17

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_0707B_Report-2012.pdf

This project would have been very nice but it's fucked up because they are already developing around the areas when this highway was proposed. Who thinks this would still come out useful? I think I would still like this project without having to widen I-40.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 09, 2019, 01:53:25 PM
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_0707B_Report-2012.pdf

This project would have been very nice but it's fucked up because they are already developing around the areas when this highway was proposed. Who thinks this would still come out useful? I think I would still like this project without having to widen I-40.
The project was to build an 8-mile expressway / boulevard between western Greensboro / airport area to High Point to bypass an 8-mile congested 5-lane arterial that currently exists.

Widening I-40 wouldn't do anything, traffic would still largely use NC-68.

It's a valuable connection, and one that could still be built. There's still open land that could carry a readjusted routing, plus there's this thing called right of way acquisition.

Ideally though, this project, if built, should be constructed as a freeway facility with full control of access. The Winston-Salem / High Point / Greensboro triangle is growing, and good connectivity needs to be maintained. It seems like a mistake to construct it as a surface roadway that will get littered with traffic signals and side developments. It's not some local boulevard, it's a key connection between the western side of the Greensboro to High Point that is currently missing (the eastern side already has I-85 as an adequate connection). That local boulevard connection already exists via NC-68. The study indicates the AADT would be over 40,000 in 2040. Over a distance of 12 miles, that's definitely warrants a full freeway. 4-lanes of a 65 mph freeway can easily handle that load, whereas 4-lanes of a 45 mph surface boulevard with traffic lights will be choked.

EDIT - After looking at the design plans closer, it appears the only "arterial" stretches would be a few minor at-grade intersections with likely one traffic signal at Idol Cox Rd, along with utilizing the existing I-74 interchange. My recommendation would be relocate the minor at-grade intersections as frontage road connections or overpasses, the one traffic signal at Idol Cox Rd be replaced with a diamond interchange, and a larger directional interchange constructed south of the existing NC-68 interchange be constructed creating a seamless freeway-to-freeway movement. It's not much changes, the current design is already rural expressway with a few unneeded intersections.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.