News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gordie Howe Bridge (US-Canada)

Started by CoolAngrybirdsrio4, January 13, 2022, 02:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 18, 2023, 07:26:13 PM
Was there a park torn down for the construction of the Gordie Howe Bridge? Within the construction of the bridge on the US side of the Detroit River is the name South Rademacher Park. Can anyone tell me about that park?
An entire neighborhood was pretty much torn down. The neighborhood is named Delray and the park you are talking about was in the neighborhood. The park was at S. Rademacher and South Street. All those streets used to go through and were within a neighborhood of Detroit.

dfilpus

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 18, 2023, 07:26:13 PM
Was there a park torn down for the construction of the Gordie Howe Bridge? Within the construction of the bridge on the US side of the Detroit River is the name South Rademacher Park. Can anyone tell me about that park?
South Rademacher Park was a neighbor park with a playground and a recreation center. It was acquired from the city of Detroit for the building of the plaza. Google maps has pictures of the playground.

Flint1979

The park shouldn't be on Google Maps anymore since it doesn't exist anymore. Livernois ends at Fort now instead of Jefferson it used to end at Jefferson in front of Fort Wayne so those bus stops for Route 30 shouldn't be there anymore either.

The Ghostbuster

cwf1701

Flint1979

I haven't been down to the river in awhile. Is Rademacher closed south of Jefferson now? I'm talking about accessing the Delray boat ramp at the dead end of Rademacher Street.

Plutonic Panda

SSR_317

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 20, 2023, 11:58:22 PM
Canadian tower had topped out: https://www.worldhighways.com/wh12/news/canadian-tower-tops-out-gordie-howe
Good thing, as it appears they will very soon need to be installing cables to the part of the tower that had previously been unfinished!

Also, love the grammar on that website, specifically the line ---> "...where Howe spend is youth." Hope that author is a non-native English speaker; otherwise, they have NO excuse for such a mistake!

thenetwork

KelleyCook

Quote from: thenetwork on January 04, 2024, 01:35:20 PM
Gordie is now scheduled to open in late 2025:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/gordie-howe-international-bridge-opening-delayed-nearly-a-year-officials-say?fbclid=IwAR0AZC8kH99HN4XcPNrW7GjpggQ_lRP4cv6zTo6jfWB5IXOyAW-cvJgBGdQ

Drove into the US site on Sunday afternoon.  Interestingly out of the four phases of the project, the problem is not the bridge.  It appears that it may be completed by April as originally promised.

However the connection ramps to I-75 are not even close to being ready. Worse is the state of the new Detroit Port-of-Entry facility which is airport terminal sized and not even close to be done.  I have not been to the Sandwich POE so I cannot report on it.  Ironically, I actually drove into Canada this weekend, but it was over the wrong bridge as was a trip to Searchmont, north of Sault Ste. Marie.

Sykotyk

My grandfather lived at the corner of Campbell and Driggs. I remember when he was alive, he had hoped they'd take his property so he could move. The land really didn't have much value and he didn't have the money to move out. He owned the house the original plan called for his side of the street to be used as well and to close Campbell St. Then, enough neighbors outright refused to move/sell or just complain about the project in general that they squeezed the footprint to be just across the street from his home. Buying up all those properties.

He died shortly after that was planned, but before the entire southwest side of Campbell was cleared. Now showing that Campbell St is closed, so curious if anyone knows if they've bought up the houses on that side of Campbell St? It's one of three houses still showing on Campbell St. And it will be a bit disheartening that it will eventually be leveled.

Flint1979

Getting closer to meeting in the middle.

doglover44

Flint1979

Flint1979

The towers are about the same height as the RenCen.

catch22

Here's a picture I took last week showing the deck progress, taken from the boat ramp parking lot at the foot of Radenmacher Street next to Fort Wayne.  There's still a lot of work to be done on the customs plazas on both sides, and the ramp construction on I-75.

ilpt4u

IF there were no construction workers and equipment on the deck...I think dem Duke Boys could go flyin to Canada!

Seriously, good progress is being made to link Ontario 401 to I-75!

triplemultiplex

Or if one's bus needed to maintain 50 mph for some crazy reason...
:-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.