News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Exits signed for "neighborhood" streets

Started by michravera, April 17, 2022, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on May 25, 2022, 06:04:50 PM
That reminds me of my thought experiment: what specific action would a driver have to take to be in violation of the "No Thru Traffic" sign? (I used to live next to a street that was also signed this way. There was nothing physical preventing thru traffic, so the only way to violate it would be behavioral.)

The easy answer is that it probably depends on the laws in that specific location.  However, having said that...

Charlie Crist is currently the US Representative of Florida's 13th district.  Twenty years ago, though, he was elected to the office of Attorney General for the state of Florida.  During his term as Attorney General, he wrote an advisory legal opinion in response to an attorney in Cape Coral, who had asked about the legality and enforceability of "No Thru Street" signs.  Below are the last three paragraphs of his response:

Quote from: Charlie Crist, Florida Attorney General, 24-MAR-2004
The Florida Department of Transportation has adopted the Federal Highway Safety Administration Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices[5] for use in this state. No provision of the manual and specifications adopted by the Department of Transportation or elsewhere in Chapter 316, Florida Statutes, authorizes the use or erection of a sign stating "No Thru Street."[6] Thus, a municipality has no authority to erect or enforce such a sign pursuant to Chapter 316, Florida Statutes.

The roads upon which the City of Cape Coral has erected signs are municipal roadways on which the public has a right to travel. This is not a situation involving private roads over which the municipality has been requested to exercise traffic control and must enter into an agreement with the private owners to exercise such control.[7]

While the municipality is authorized to provide regulatory or warning signage on municipal roadways to alert motorists to such things as posted speed limits or "watch for children", nothing in Chapter 316, Florida Statutes, or elsewhere authorizes the city to limit the right of the public to use such roadways for the exclusive benefit of the home owners in the area and their invitees.

[5] See Rule 14-15.010, F.A.C., in which the Florida Department of Transportation adopts the MUTCD as Florida's manual of uniform traffic control devices and makes it a part of the administrative rules of the department. The manual may be viewed at http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/kno-millennium.htm.

[6] Compare s. 316.008(1)(f), Fla. Stat., which authorizes a local authority to designate a street as a through street or designate any intersection as a stop or yield intersection.

[7] It is the availability of the area for travel and the right of general and common use that makes certain private property subject to public control pursuant to Chapter 316, Florida Statutes. Thus, this office has concluded that municipalities have enforcement authority regarding traffic violations and accidents occurring on "private property" where the public has the right to travel, such as shopping center parking lots. See Ops. Att'y Gen. Fla. 73-323 (1973) and 72-383 (1972). And see Op. Att'y Gen. Fla. 84-46 (1984) (if public has right to travel on access road owned and maintained by, and located within territorial limits of, airport authority, then provisions of Ch. 316, Fla. Stat., applicable). For those private roads or limited access roads where the public does not have a right to travel, however, section 316.006(3)(a), Florida Statutes, authorizes a municipality to exercise jurisdiction if the municipality has jurisdiction pursuant to a written agreement pursuant to section 316.006(2)(b), Florida Statutes, for municipal traffic control jurisdiction. See Op. Att'y Gen. Fla. 88-5 (1988). The agreement, which must be approved by the governing body of the municipality, must provide for reimbursement of the actual costs of traffic control and enforcement and for liability insurance and indemnification by the party who owns or controls such roads. Other terms, as may be mutually agreeable to the parties, may also be included. Section 316.006(2)(b)1., Fla. Stat. And see s. 316.006(2)(b)2., Fla. Stat., which states that the exercise of this jurisdiction is in addition to jurisdictional authority presently exercised by municipalities under law and that nothing in the paragraph shall be construed to limit or remove any such jurisdictional authority.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Joe The Dragon

I think the us 20 elgin bypass has some

hotdogPi

As part of my internship, I was checking Google Street View for the entire eastern half (by population) of Massachusetts. While intersections where both streets were residential were excluded, I saw pretty much everything on collector roads and above. There was exactly one road that said no thru traffic that was possible as a cut-through. Every other time that sign appeared, it was impossible, not just prohibited.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 06:48:14 PM
The easy answer is that it probably depends on the laws in that specific location.  However, having said that...

Yikes. Sounds like that sign becomes a probable cause magnet, then...

CapeCodder

Quote from: skluth on April 23, 2022, 01:56:32 PM
I never thought this was a thing. I saw lots of these when I lived in St Louis and a fair number when I lived in Tidewater. Here's just a few

St Louis
I-55@ Loughborough, especially NB onto Idaho
I-55@ Bates/Virginia
I-44@ Grand
I-44@ Berry Rd
I-64@ Bellevue
I-64@ Spoede Rd
I-70@ Branch
I-70 @ Lucas and Hunt

Tidewater
I-64@ W Bay Avenue
I-264@ Ballentine Blvd
VA 164@ West Norfolk Avenue

There are others. But these were all pretty obvious.

You forgot the I-70 EB exit for Shreve. Dumps you onto Marcus.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ftballfan

I-96 exit 76 in Portland, MI. Why does this exit even exist considering that there's an exit a mile to the east?

GaryV

Quote from: ftballfan on June 14, 2022, 09:59:46 PM
I-96 exit 76 in Portland, MI. Why does this exit even exist considering that there's an exit a mile to the east?
Maybe because Kent St has a bridge across the Grand River.

roadman65

Does that one exit on US 101 northbound in Ukiah count?  The one near the baseball field and water treatment plant that connects to a dead end residential street.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.