Schenectady/Amsterdam Roadmeet - August 6, 2022

Started by vdeane, May 01, 2022, 04:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

The meet will be August 6 at noon at Jumpin' Jack's Drive-In.  After lunch and dropping off the cars at a nearby park and ride, the tour will feature the construction on NY 5 in Amsterdam to make the current westbound lanes two-way, which will facilitate the removal of the current eastbound lanes, which will be used for downtown revitalization. Other highlights of the tour will include an an old sign (if it's still around) and a roundabout in Schenectady, the I-890 pavement rehabilitation, an old arch bridge at Rotterdam Kiwanis Park, lock 9 at the NY 103 bridge over the Erie Canal/Mohawk River (including a clinch of NY 103), the Mohawk Gateway pedestrian bridge in Amsterdam, the NY 30 "freeway", a stop at Karen's Produce and Ice Cream near the bridges over Schoharie Creek, the Schoharie Aqueduct, and some old cast iron signs in Tribes Hill.

Facebook event: https://fb.me/e/56tIWroso

Tour notes: https://nysroads.com/files/sch22.pdf

Article with more info on the NY 5 construction: https://www.recordernews.com/news/local-news/194249
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Definitely interested.  I haven't been to Schenectady in years, and as the brother of a Union College alumna, this will no doubt bring back lots of memories.

Laura

Jim

I've never been to a road meet but likely would join this one, given that I live right in the middle of all of the planned stops - except, I'll be in Yellowstone NP that day.

It looks like a great plan.  You can't go wrong with Jumpin' Jacks or Karen's.  Though I'll put the ice cream at Cappie's in Amsterdam above both.  I'd recommend stopping at any of the Barge Canal (Mohawk River) locks for those who haven't seen the adjustable dams.  If you stop at Lock 11 as an example of this, you could also see the yet-to-be repaired damage to the Guy Park Manor from the flooding following Tropical Storm Irene.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Alps

Quote from: Jim on May 11, 2022, 11:06:12 AM
I've never been to a road meet but likely would join this one, given that I live right in the middle of all of the planned stops - except, I'll be in Yellowstone NP that day.

It looks like a great plan.  You can't go wrong with Jumpin' Jacks or Karen's.  Though I'll put the ice cream at Cappie's in Amsterdam above both.  I'd recommend stopping at any of the Barge Canal (Mohawk River) locks for those who haven't seen the adjustable dams.  If you stop at Lock 11 as an example of this, you could also see the yet-to-be repaired damage to the Guy Park Manor from the flooding following Tropical Storm Irene.
I would love to finally meet you... change your schedule :D

froggie

I may try to get to this, but I cannot commit yet.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

I should have the day off so I'll likely attend the lunch.

corco

I'm going to try to be there- I'll be in Maine/NH on Thursday and Friday so hoping I can get back down in time

hotdogPi

Quote from: corco on July 20, 2022, 10:58:42 AM
I'm going to try to be there- I'll be in Maine/NH on Thursday and Friday so hoping I can get back down in time

While I'm not going to the meet, are you interested in stopping for an hour or two in the Lowell/Lawrence/Haverhill area to meet me? I don't drive, but we can pick a place for lunch (or any other time – I'm working from home) and I can get there by public transit. When I met with noelbotevera several years ago, we ate at a Cambodian place in Lowell.

This assumes you're taking I-495 at some point and are already going in that direction.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

corco

Normally yes- in this case my girlfriend and I are heading up for a wedding so will already be a bit pinched for time

vdeane

I'm planning to do scouting this weekend to verify what's open/not, verify/finalize stops, and finalize the route so I can put the tour notes together.  My original plan was to include a couple sights around Schenectady in the drive from Jumping Jacks to the park and ride, but in coming up with alternate plans in case of a ramp closure, I came up with a possibility that includes it in the carpool tour (at the cost of driving 890 between NY 5 and the GE circle both directions).  Assuming ramp closures don't force the issue, is there any preference over which version to use?  I personally like the idea of not having to drive that part of I-890 three times (twice on the tour and once to go home), but there is also virtue in not sending a parade of cars through the Stockade neighborhood (plus it reduces the odds of someone making a wrong turn and getting lost simply by having fewer cars making the trip).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vdeane

I have uploaded the tour notes to my site!  I ended up tweaking the stops a little - there isn't a great way to view the Plotter Kill aqueduct except from NY 5S, and I don't feel like asking people to walk onto the shoulder there.  The roundabout construction in Amsterdam isn't very far along either, so I moved that stop closer to the intersection work that has been done a couple blocks east.  I also added a stop at Lock 11.

While the direct connection to Bridge Street from NY 30 is open both directions, I decided that the views descending into Amsterdam and of Amsterdam Castle were worth the longer route.  I also decided to have Stockade on the carpool portion of the tour, not only to reduce the number of cars going through that neighborhood but also because I found that stretch I-890 to be more interesting than usual with the pavement work and current state of signage.  There also weren't lane closures or speed reductions when I drove through there, so there shouldn't be much of a delay.

https://nysroads.com/files/sch22.pdf

Jim

Here in Amsterdam, we've got several error US 5 detour signs up throughout the city, if you like that kind of thing.  Not sure if they'll still be there in a couple of weeks.

I agree that the roundabout construction isn't looking too interesting yet.

I haven't yet had a chance to get a picture, but there's been a super ugly "To NY 30 North" installed going up the hill on Northampton Rd at Van Dyke in the last couple of weeks.   The dangerous left turn onto 30 is now no longer permitted (though I've seen cars still doing it).

vdeane

Quote from: Jim on July 25, 2022, 10:54:26 AM
I haven't yet had a chance to get a picture, but there's been a super ugly "To NY 30 North" installed going up the hill on Northampton Rd at Van Dyke in the last couple of weeks.   The dangerous left turn onto 30 is now no longer permitted (though I've seen cars still doing it).
Interesting!  I'm modifying the tour route to include that.  OK if I use the image you posted in the other thread in the tour notes (with credit)?

---

Speaking of the tour, I noticed that there's a historic Erie Canal lock on Queen Ann Street.  It would seem that five stops (not including the ice cream break) is plenty, but I figured I'd mention it if people want to add it.

Jim

Quote from: vdeane on July 28, 2022, 09:11:27 PM
Quote from: Jim on July 25, 2022, 10:54:26 AM
Interesting!  I'm modifying the tour route to include that.  OK if I use the image you posted in the other thread in the tour notes (with credit)?

Of course!

Speaking of the tour, I noticed that there's a historic Erie Canal lock on Queen Ann Street.  It would seem that five stops (not including the ice cream break) is plenty, but I figured I'd mention it if people want to add it.

Yes, Yankee Hill is a nice little spot.  I think they stopped opening the building there during covid, not sure if you can go in now.  Not that it was ever much to see in the building, but it did have a rest room.

vdeane

^ The building at the aqueduct stop has a sign saying to ring the bell for a staff member, so the one by the lock might be similar.

vdeane

It's just a few days before the meet, so I just wanted to post a couple notes.  First, if you're still on the fence, I would appreciate if we could get an RSVP by Saturday morning just so I know to expect you.  Second, the weather unfortunately calls for showers/thunderstorms with a high of 87.  It still looks like Friday is the bigger event, and it doesn't look like it will be continuous all day, but the forecast sadly isn't improving as we get closer.  Jumping Jacks has covered seating, as does Karen's, but tour stops naturally don't have much in the way of cover, so bringing an umbrella would be wise.  Lastly, as of late it seems people have become accustomed to printing their own directions, so I don't plan on printing a whole slate, but I do plan on having a couple just in case.

Other than that, I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!

74/171FAN

:-D  I planned to have a whole slate of itineraries last Saturday until my parents and I inadvertently left them at the hotel. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Laura

I wanted to attend this but I have a friend's moving away party as well as Rainee's best friend's birthday party this weekend. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Philly meet!

74/171FAN

"Partying, partying, yeah!!!"  (It may be best not to introduce Rainee to that song.   :-D)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 03, 2022, 08:42:28 AM
"Partying, partying, yeah!!!"  (It may be best not to introduce Rainee to that song.   :-D)
Fun fun fun fun
Looking forward to the weekend!

froggie

Quote from: Laura on August 03, 2022, 08:39:20 AM
I wanted to attend this but I have a friend's moving away party as well as Rainee's best friend's birthday party this weekend. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Philly meet!

That's a pity...I won't make it to Philly...

jpi

Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2022, 05:23:02 AM
Quote from: Laura on August 03, 2022, 08:39:20 AM
I wanted to attend this but I have a friend’s moving away party as well as Rainee’s best friend’s birthday party this weekend. Hopefully I’ll see some of you at the Philly meet!

That's a pity...I won't make it to Philly...

Same here, however Steph and I will be in central Pennsylvania from next Wednesday 8/10 to Sunday 8/14, then taking a "mystery side trip" then back through central PA for 48 hours until we had west to Dayton the day before the Philly meet
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Rothman

Vdeane did a great job running this meet.  Had a great time with the gang today.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.