Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Tioga Road opening Friday May 27 - reservations req’d

(1/4) > >>

luv2drive:
[ https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/reservations.htm

Reservations required to drive through the park until September 30, 6:00 AM-4:00 PM. $35 entrance fee unless you have a pass; also you need to get reservations, additional $2.

Max Rockatansky:
Fairly easy to get inside the park boundary before 6 AM (especially on CA 140/El Portal Road ad CA 41/Wawona Road) if you are motivated enough to do it.  Usually when I hike in Yosemite during the summer I try to be to my trailhead (especially in Yosemite Valley around 5:30 AM to avoid the tourism crowds. 

Worth noting, Sonora Pass (CA 180) and Ebbetts Pass (CA 4) have already opened as well.  I’m uncertain about Sherman Pass Road but that’s only because the Forest Service Interactive Map doesn’t work well on a phone.

pderocco:
That sucks. They should only require reservations for parking, which is what most tourists want to do. Since it's also a state highway, they shouldn't restrict drive-throughs. It's a pleasant way to get from one side of the mountains to the other, and even when all the parking is full, I've never seen traffic backed up along 120, except before the entrances and at Tuolumne Meadows.

BTW, the FS map seems to show Sherman Pass open. Given how little precipitation we've had, I would have expected it to open in April this year.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: pderocco on May 22, 2022, 11:06:06 PM ---That sucks. They should only require reservations for parking, which is what most tourists want to do. Since it's also a state highway, they shouldn't restrict drive-throughs. It's a pleasant way to get from one side of the mountains to the other, and even when all the parking is full, I've never seen traffic backed up along 120, except before the entrances and at Tuolumne Meadows.

BTW, the FS map seems to show Sherman Pass open. Given how little precipitation we've had, I would have expected it to open in April this year.

--- End quote ---

Problem is that Caltrans doesn’t maintain anything inside Yosemite itself, otherwise the state would probably have some say.  Last year you could get a timed ticket without reservation to drive over Tioga Pass, but that was discontinued in favor of a less strict reservation system.

Rothman:
Eesh.  It has been 30 years since I've been to Yosemite.  Sad that even the High Country is crowded now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version