Roads named after 'Sesame Street' characters

Started by bandit957, June 05, 2022, 06:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

How many roads are named after 'Sesame Street' characters?

According to Google Maps, there is a section of Lake Forest, California, with roads named after Grover, Kermit, Oscar, Big Bird, and Cookie Monster. Silverdale, Washington, has Big Bird and Cookie Monster. Pella, Iowa, has a Cookie Monster, which is really just a little unpaved road. A few other places have a Big Bird.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

thspfc

Imagine trying to sell a house on Cookie Monster Lane.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on June 05, 2022, 06:55:53 PM
Imagine trying to sell a house on Cookie Monster Lane.

Apparently the one in Lake Forest is a RV Park.  Appears to be retiree oriented.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bandit957 on June 05, 2022, 06:19:32 PM
According to Google Maps, there is a section of Lake Forest, California, with roads named after Grover, Kermit, Oscar, Big Bird, and Cookie Monster.

The other street in this mobile home park is Pothead Dr.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

elsmere241

There's an actual Sesame Street in Tempe, Arizona.

MATraveler128

Quote from: elsmere241 on June 06, 2022, 12:31:03 PM

There's also an actual Sesame Street in Wakefield, Massachusetts.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 05, 2022, 10:24:55 PM
According to Google Maps, there is a section of Lake Forest, California, with roads named after Grover, Kermit, Oscar, Big Bird, and Cookie Monster.

The other street in this mobile home park is Pothead Dr.

I know of a Stoner Dr in West Hartford, CT (and no, there isn't a house number 420).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on June 06, 2022, 01:28:23 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on June 06, 2022, 12:31:03 PM

There's also an actual Sesame Street in Wakefield, Massachusetts.

There's also one in Bon Air, Virginia. It leads to the Richmond PBS station.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

epzik8

There is a Grover Road in Millersville, Maryland right off I-97. However, I'm not sure the DOT had Sesame Street in mind when they were thinking of what to name it.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dvferyance

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

lepidopteran

Well, the New Jersey Turnpike has two service plazas with characters' names in them: Grover Cleveland, and Molly Pitcher.  (Molly was a mail lady in Season 3, played by Charlotte Rae.)  Of course, at that age I also thought of Sesame Street when we got off at Exit 13 -- same number as the channel for WNET, or PBS in New York City (even Billy Joel notes that in the song "Pressure").  Where we were in NJ, we could also pick up PBS on Channel 12 from Philly/Wilmington, but I don't think I ever, ever, got on or off at Exit 12, for as often as I've taken the NJTP.

bandit957

The main PBS station in Cincinnati is Channel 48. There was a singer-songwriter who was popular before I was born named Bert Sommer whose highest charting hit single peaked at #48. I think it's hilarious that a performer with the same name as a 'Sesame Street' character had a record that peaked at our local PBS station's channel number.

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on June 09, 2022, 09:24:17 AM
I think it's hilarious that a performer with the same name as a 'Sesame Street' character had a record that peaked at our local PBS station's channel number.

Indeed, I just picked myself up off the floor, I was laughing so hard.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

elsmere241

There is a neighborhood in Raleigh where the streets are named for Winnie the Pooh characters.

GCrites

Well, if we include the human characters that really opens things up.

michravera

How many roads are named after 'Sesame Street' characters?

According to Google Maps, there is a section of Lake Forest, California, with roads named after Grover, Kermit, Oscar, Big Bird, and Cookie Monster. Silverdale, Washington, has Big Bird and Cookie Monster. Pella, Iowa, has a Cookie Monster, which is really just a little unpaved road. A few other places have a Big Bird.

... Not to mention a whole city in California named "Grover Beach"....

NWI_Irish96

If we're going to expand this to other unusual street names, there's a street in Elkhart County, IN, named Hemlock Court and every time I drive by there I ask myself who would ever buy a house there? I think I'd need a house to be at least 20% below market value before I'd tell my friends, family and employer that I moved to Hemlock Court.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jlam

GaryV

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 12, 2022, 09:21:32 PM
If we're going to expand this to other unusual street names, there's a street in Elkhart County, IN, named Hemlock Court and every time I drive by there I ask myself who would ever buy a house there? I think I'd need a house to be at least 20% below market value before I'd tell my friends, family and employer that I moved to Hemlock Court.
How is that any different than Maple, Oak, Pine, Spruce ...

They named it after the tree, not the poison.

bandit957

Quote from: GaryV on June 13, 2022, 09:53:00 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 12, 2022, 09:21:32 PM
How is that any different than Maple, Oak, Pine, Spruce ...

They named it after the tree, not the poison.

I thought they named it after Sherlock Hemlock.

US 89

There's a whole town in Utah named Elmo. It's one of the few incorporated places in the state that is not on the state highway system.

CapeCodder

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 09, 2022, 11:33:48 AM
Well, if we include the human characters that really opens things up.

Nantucket has Hooper Farm Road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.