News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: SW Indiana on November 18, 2022, 01:06:07 PM
INDOT has bid letting scheduled for Jan 19, 2023 for signing along 69 from "Ohio River-Vanderburgh Co to 4M N of Monroe-Morgan Co line: new interstate signing."
I hope this is adding the "Indianapolis"  Control (or maybe Bloomington but INDOT isn't huge on Secondary Controls) in addition to Destination/Distance signage

I'd say even overdue to add the NB Indy Control. Better Late than Never

bmeiser

INDOT has bid letting scheduled for Jan 19, 2023 for signing along 69 from "Ohio River-Vanderburgh Co to 4M N of Monroe-Morgan Co line: new interstate signing."
Finally getting consistent mille markers?

Pixel 6

pianocello

Quote from: bmeiser on November 19, 2022, 12:04:40 AM
Finally getting consistent mille markers?

Pixel 6

What's wrong with the mile markers? They should be accurate in that stretch, or at least close enough for when the zero point changes from US 41 to the new Ohio River bridge.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

tdindy88

The only mile markers that should be changed are those along Section 5 from Bloomington to Martinsville. I hate seeing the wierd blue mile markers for the mile itself and the white-on-green mile markers for the half miles. Either make them all white-on-green like the rest of I-69 to the south or make them the correct white-on-blue design you see from Martinsville northward.

I'm assuming this update on signage will add Indianapolis for the northbound control city from Evansville up to Bloomington. The signs at the interchanges are already the right size to put the city name on them with no problem. Evansville should also be added on some of the former I-164 signs south of I-64. I will be curious if they decide to add any controls south of Evansville. If any I would guess Henderson.

Other things I hope to see are obviously mileage signs, signs for roads/waterways and proper county line signs. Not the enter county/leave county design we currently see on I-69 south of Bloomington. Those signs are fine on two-lane highways but not an interstate. Section 6 has been built with the correct signage throughout, hopefully this signage bid includes updating I-69 to match that.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 19, 2022, 05:42:11 PM
The only mile markers that should be changed are those along Section 5 from Bloomington to Martinsville. I hate seeing the wierd blue mile markers for the mile itself and the white-on-green mile markers for the half miles. Either make them all white-on-green like the rest of I-69 to the south or make them the correct white-on-blue design you see from Martinsville northward.

I'm assuming this update on signage will add Indianapolis for the northbound control city from Evansville up to Bloomington. The signs at the interchanges are already the right size to put the city name on them with no problem. Evansville should also be added on some of the former I-164 signs south of I-64. I will be curious if they decide to add any controls south of Evansville. If any I would guess Henderson.

Other things I hope to see are obviously mileage signs, signs for roads/waterways and proper county line signs. Not the enter county/leave county design we currently see on I-69 south of Bloomington. Those signs are fine on two-lane highways but not an interstate. Section 6 has been built with the correct signage throughout, hopefully this signage bid includes updating I-69 to match that.

I'm hopeful that they're replacing everything, not just reskinning them again. Those jobs look like crap, and the Vincennes District is overrun with them.

I can live with the small enter/leave signs, even though they don't belong on an Interstate, but yeah, it's time to get the rest of the job done. What's it been, 11 years since Evansville-to-Bloomington opened?

silverback1065

this also may finally remove the 37 cosigning as well.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 19, 2022, 07:15:36 PM

I believe that the plan is that once 69 is signed continuously, 37 will be decommissioned between Bloomington and Fishers.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

RIndy

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 19, 2022, 05:42:11 PM

The signage at County Line Exit 158 already has two BGS one says 69 South Evansville and other BGS says 69 North Indianapolis.  As for Henderson, because of a gap between two interstates, Indiana will have Evansville as southern control city, and Kentucky uses Henderson as its northern control city. It be another five to ten years before the gap is closed.
At I-64 on SB 69, the BGS does say 69 South Evansville and Henderson.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 19, 2022, 08:08:04 PM

I believe that the plan is that once 69 is signed continuously, 37 will be decommissioned between Bloomington and Fishers.

So that means that 37 will be three widely-spaced segments, Tell City to Bloomington, Fishers to Marion, and Ft. Wayne to the Ohio state line.  Sounds to me like a renumbering or two (especially the last segment) is in order, but then I forgot that we're talking about Indiana.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

pianocello

Quote from: RIndy on November 20, 2022, 07:46:30 PM
As for Henderson, because of a gap between two interstates, Indiana will have Evansville as southern control city, and Kentucky uses Henderson as its northern control city. It be another five to ten years before the gap is closed.
At I-64 on SB 69, the BGS does say 69 South Evansville and Henderson.

The gap's not the reason. INDOT signs Evansville because it's bigger, and KYTC signs Henderson because they tend to prefer mid-size cities in their own state (as another example, they use Ashland instead of the larger but out-of-state Huntington on I-64 east of Lexington).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

abqtraveler

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 20, 2022, 08:49:43 PM

So that means that 37 will be three widely-spaced segments, Tell City to Bloomington, Fishers to Marion, and Ft. Wayne to the Ohio state line.  Sounds to me like a renumbering or two (especially the last segment) is in order, but then I forgot that we're talking about Indiana.  :)
Given the relatively short length of the SR-37 stretch between I-469 and the Ohio state line, there's a better chance that INDOT might just turn that segment over to Allen County. If INDOT were to decommission that stretch of SR-37, it would likely go by its local name, the Maysville Pike.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: abqtraveler on November 27, 2022, 03:40:36 PM

Given the relatively short length of the SR-37 stretch between I-469 and the Ohio state line, there's a better chance that INDOT might just turn that segment over to Allen County. If INDOT were to decommission that stretch of SR-37, it would likely go by its local name, the Maysville Pike.

37 used to be routed along 9 from Marion to Huntington and 24 from Huntington to Fort Wayne, so at one point it was continuous. I haven't seen any reasoning as to why the signage got pulled between Marion and Fort Wayne.

edwaleni

Google Maps has moved the I-69 shield up to IN-144. IN-37 the rest of the way to I-465.

silverback1065

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 27, 2022, 03:55:02 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on November 27, 2022, 03:40:36 PM

37 used to be routed along 9 from Marion to Huntington and 24 from Huntington to Fort Wayne, so at one point it was continuous. I haven't seen any reasoning as to why the signage got pulled between Marion and Fort Wayne.

might have been to lower mileage. i think overlaps count too for 2 routes (or more). they stopped signing 38 in frankfort too for some reason.

RIndy

I got this update regarding about the new interstate up to S.R. 144.
INDIANAPOLIS (Nov. 28, 2022) — Construction crews are completing the final steps needed to convert State Road 37 to Interstate 69 between Martinsville and Bargersville.

Banta Road, near the Morgan-Johnson county line, is expected to close permanently at S.R. 37 on Wednesday, Nov. 30. This will allow crews time to remove the intersection pavement and traffic signal before winter and begin rebuilding the shoulders and ditches.

With the removal of Banta Road, the first traffic signal north of Evansville will be at Smith Valley Road. Drivers should stay alert in the area as other motorists adjust to the transition.

S.R. 144 interchange

Three of the four ramps at the S.R. 144 interchange are now open, providing access to the area near Banta Road. The ramp from S.R. 144 onto southbound I-69 is on track to open in the next two to three weeks.

By the end of the year, expect S.R. 37 to be officially signed as I-69 and the speed limit to be increased to 70 mph from S.R. 44 in Martinsville to S.R. 144 in Bargersville.

Until the fourth and final ramp opens, motorists can enter southbound S.R. 37 traffic at County Line Road, Fairview Road, Smith Valley Road and Henderson Ford Road.

tdindy88

Just drove down this way to check out the latest progress on Section 6. Indeed the Banta Road stoplight is now gone and there are no traffic lights south of Smith Valley Road, though with the construction it really isn't smooth sailing until you get past 144 heading south.

One thing of note today is that I noticed the first BGS for Southport Road along SR 37 north of County Line Road. The sign says Southport Road 1 Mile with an exit tab for Exit 162. Immediately to my left the mile markers say Mile 159. The original plans erroneously had Exit 162 instead of Exit 160 as it should be. I'm guessing at some point someone points this out to them. Especially since County Line Road is properly Exit 158 and there's never been four miles between County Line and Southport.

IndyAgent

Wow, over a billion dollars spent and this happens? How does someone not double check items

Rothman

Quote from: IndyAgent on December 13, 2022, 08:50:07 AM
Wow, over a billion dollars spent and this happens? How does someone not double check items
"Close enough," is probably how the review went.  Being a mile off or so probably wasn't seen as a big deal, exit number wise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

silverback1065

to be fair, that's an easy fix  :-D they can just pop off the numbers and replace them with the correct ones.

Captain Jack

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 01, 2022, 07:25:17 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on October 31, 2022, 09:06:02 PM
When my brother lived south of Nashville and I was making that trip from Chicagoland a couple times a year, If I was in a hurry, I always took I-57 to I-24. If I had time, I liked using US 41/IN 63/Audbon Pkwy/I-165/I-65. I once did I-65 and once did I-69/IN 37/I-65. Not a fan.

Last time we went to Nashville we did US 41/IN 63/US 41/I-69/I-169/I-24. Much, much less traffic than using I-65.

Google Maps as well as GPS's are utilizing the US 41-SR 63 route through Indiana. Recently, a friend from Birmingham called to say he would be stopping in Evansville for lunch on his way to Chicago. He said his GPS always sends him that way.

I agree a good bypass to get from 41 over to 394 would go a long way in making that route. I have driven Evansville to Chicago many times with numerous route combinations. My go-to typically is 41-63-41 to Kentland, US 52 from Kentland to I-57 at Kankakee, and I-57 on in.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Captain Jack on December 14, 2022, 09:16:44 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 01, 2022, 07:25:17 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on October 31, 2022, 09:06:02 PM
When my brother lived south of Nashville and I was making that trip from Chicagoland a couple times a year, If I was in a hurry, I always took I-57 to I-24. If I had time, I liked using US 41/IN 63/Audbon Pkwy/I-165/I-65. I once did I-65 and once did I-69/IN 37/I-65. Not a fan.

Last time we went to Nashville we did US 41/IN 63/US 41/I-69/I-169/I-24. Much, much less traffic than using I-65.

Google Maps as well as GPS's are utilizing the US 41-SR 63 route through Indiana. Recently, a friend from Birmingham called to say he would be stopping in Evansville for lunch on his way to Chicago. He said his GPS always sends him that way.

I agree a good bypass to get from 41 over to 394 would go a long way in making that route. I have driven Evansville to Chicago many times with numerous route combinations. My go-to typically is 41-63-41 to Kentland, US 52 from Kentland to I-57 at Kankakee, and I-57 on in.

I don't often go that way because I live on the Indiana side of the border, but the most common way people get over to 394 from 41 is via 109th Ave, Calumet Ave, and 101st Ave/Exchange St.

Rick Powell

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 14, 2022, 10:02:24 AM
I don't often go that way because I live on the Indiana side of the border, but the most common way people get over to 394 from 41 is via 109th Ave, Calumet Ave, and 101st Ave/Exchange St.

There has been some thought to a direct connection of 109th to Exchange Street that bypasses the Calumet Avenue jog, but it will probably be a difficult lift. Especially if trucks are in the mix. There is literally no legal way for a semi to cross the state line between Sauk Trail in Cook County and IL 17/IN 2 east of Kankakee.

Interstate 69 Fan

I-69 has been officially extended up to SR 144.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Bobby5280

Funny thing: I-69 is signed up to that point in Google Earth now.

theline

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 14, 2022, 12:09:37 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 14, 2022, 10:02:24 AM

There has been some thought to a direct connection of 109th to Exchange Street that bypasses the Calumet Avenue jog, but it will probably be a difficult lift. Especially if trucks are in the mix. There is literally no legal way for a semi to cross the state line between Sauk Trail in Cook County and IL 17/IN 2 east of Kankakee.
My in-laws, now decreased, lived in Crown Point for decades. The 109th/Calumet/101st route was the go-to way to Chicago and points west. It worked great for cars, but as noted the route is illegal and inadvisable for trucks. I recommend it highly to avoid the traffic on the alternatives, like US 30 and I-80.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.