News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Seattle Screwjob

Started by bugo, September 25, 2012, 08:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I'm boycotting the NFL until they get rid of these horrible refs.  That play last night was obviously an interception.  Roger Goodell needs to be fired and the NFL needs to make a deal with the real refs immediately.  The NFL's brand is tarnished, and it's only going to get worse.  Remember how badly baseball suffered during the strike year?  It still hasn't recovered.  The same thing is going to happen to the NFL.  I've seen my share of bad calls and last night's call was one of the worst I've ever seen.  The Seattle QB is the first player in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 08:53:32 PM
I'm boycotting the NFL until they get rid of these horrible refs.  That play last night was obviously an interception.  Roger Goodell needs to be fired and the NFL needs to make a deal with the real refs immediately.  The NFL's brand is tarnished, and it's only going to get worse.  Remember how badly baseball suffered during the strike year?  It still hasn't recovered.  The same thing is going to happen to the NFL.  I've seen my share of bad calls and last night's call was one of the worst I've ever seen.  The Seattle QB is the first player in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

It's not the fault of the NFL ... it is the fault of Big Labor, i.e. the trade unions of the refs and the refs themselves.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

bugo

It's the fault of the NFL for not coming to terms with the refs.  For something that is as important to so many Americans like football, only the best will do, even if that means paying them more than you think they're worth.  You can't put a price on fair play.

hbelkins

I presume these refs officiate football at other levels -- college or high school. Wouldn't this poor performance by them at the pro level call into question their competency to officiate at their normal levels?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 09:04:54 PM
It's the fault of the NFL for not coming to terms with the refs.  For something that is as important to so many Americans like football, only the best will do, even if that means paying them more than you think they're worth.  You can't put a price on fair play.

The NFL is not at fault for refusing to accept the demands of the referee union.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

agentsteel53

Quote from: Beltway on September 25, 2012, 09:13:27 PM

The NFL is not at fault for refusing to accept the demands of the referee union.

yes it is.  I believe the difference is 3 million dollars.  there is going to be significantly more lost than that if the games lose popularity due to shitty officiating. 

it is the NFL's fault for not running the numbers and keeping their business viable.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

But they are.  They should have accepted the demands.  What if an airline refused to deal with their pilots?  Would you feel comfortable with a scab pilot flying your plane?  Give the refs what they want.  Quit being so goddamn cheap, Goodell.

bugo

Does this look like a catch to you?

They need to write the regular refs a blank check.  The integrity of the league is at stake.  It is the fault of the NFL for being so cheap and greedy.  It's coming back to bite them on the ass.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2012, 09:09:17 PM
I presume these refs officiate football at other levels -- college or high school. Wouldn't this poor performance by them at the pro level call into question their competency to officiate at their normal levels?

Unions aren't so bad, are they, Elkins?

6a

I'm boycotting the NFL until they get rid of these horrible refs.

Bullshit.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 25, 2012, 09:16:05 PM
there is going to be significantly more lost than that if the games lose popularity due to shitty officiating. 

it is the NFL's fault for not running the numbers and keeping their business viable.

Bingo.  Everyone hates the referee...baseball, basketball, football, *everyone* hates the referee.  That's a part of the game.  The difference here is that, in the past, the referee had respect, and that's not the case anymore.  Never mind what Belichick did, or what happened to the Packers, there are players tweeting "fine me and use the money to pay the regular refs."  There is a top-down disrespect for these officials.  Players, who have lived a life of discipline and order, are rebelling against any good sense without fear of financial penalty. 

I have a hearing loss and read lips and expressions, so I don't know how much of this stuff is seen by others,  but I have seen more than one official say "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" to a coach.  Some of the head refs genuinely look frightened when they cue the mic to make an announcement.  People aren't going to boycott the game, don't be silly, but I really feel there will be more injuries and more games will be screwed up.  Betting will be affected, which (make no mistake) has bearing on the league (why do you think they didn't change the outcome of this game?) Basically, the more variables you introduce to the system, the less reliable it becomes.  TV and Vegas hate these things.  I bet it gets rectified soon.

SSOWorld

This becoming more a political thread than a sports thread :eyebrow: keep it civil. --ms

both sides are at fault.  No deal forces replacement refs, bad calls and touchceptions.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

nyratk1

Quote from: Beltway on September 25, 2012, 08:57:07 PM

It's not the fault of the NFL ... it is the fault of Big Labor, i.e. the trade unions of the refs and the refs themselves.
The owners locked them out. And wanted to cut their pensions.

Who knew trying to cheap out would result in a substandard workforce? Anyone who is anti-union is a moron. If the owners can collude, incorporate or unite and make the demands, so can those employed by them. The owners take risk by putting up capital but that capital is a result of labor's work in all the owners' ventures. The refs and players as labor put their bodies on the line.

Also one of the scab refs wasn't even good enough for the LINGERIE FOOTBALL LEAGUE. How awful is that? The owners are not suffering - they just want to squeeze more profit out of the average fan by cheaping out on ref/player costs and extorting local governments for taxpayer money. If the owners can make the money on others' sweat, isn't it right for others to demand what they are worth in labor?

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 09:43:44 PM

But they are.  They should have accepted the demands.  What if an airline refused to deal with their pilots?  Would you feel comfortable with a scab pilot flying your plane?  Give the refs what they want.  Quit being so goddamn cheap, Goodell.

Bwahawhawhaw !!

"The regular refs, who make an average of $150,000 a year for part-time work, want a raise."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/story/2012-09-25/Seahawks-Packers-refs-NFL/57842268/1

Cry me a river...

(Robert Coté, 2002)

6a

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 09:48:29 PM

They need to write the regular refs a blank check.  The integrity of the league is at stake.  It is the fault of the NFL for being so cheap and greedy.  It's coming back to bite them on the ass.

Yes, it's a catch, and no they don't need a blank check.  It's not black and white. 

bugo

Quote from: 6a on September 25, 2012, 10:00:09 PM

Bullshit.

Watch me.  I won't watch another game this year.  I'd rather watch "America's Got Talent" or "The Voice" than another NFL game with these horrible refs.  I hate reality TV, but at least those guys get fair shots.  And I'm far from the only one who is boycotting the NFL.  They are going to lose a lot of money over their stubbornness and cheapness.

there is going to be significantly more lost than that if the games lose popularity due to shitty officiating. 

Bingo.  Everyone hates the referee...baseball, basketball, football, *everyone* hates the referee.  That's a part of the game.  The difference here is that, in the past, the referee had respect, and that's not the case anymore.  Never mind what Belichick did, or what happened to the Packers, there are players tweeting "fine me and use the money to pay the regular refs."  There is a top-down disrespect for these officials.  Players, who have lived a life of discipline and order, are rebelling against any good sense without fear of financial penalty. 

I have a hearing loss and read lips and expressions, so I don't know how much of this stuff is seen by others,  but I have seen more than one official say "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" to a coach.  Some of the head refs genuinely look frightened when they cue the mic to make an announcement.  People aren't going to boycott the game, don't be silly, but I really feel there will be more injuries and more games will be screwed up.  Betting will be affected, which (make no mistake) has bearing on the league (why do you think they didn't change the outcome of this game?) Basically, the more variables you introduce to the system, the less reliable it becomes.  TV and Vegas hate these things.  I bet it gets rectified soon.

You're wrong.  There are going to be mass boycotts of the NFL this year.  They could fix it and create a lot of goodwill by coming to a deal with the refs, but they won't.  They are harming not only the sport but the NFL brand.  Irreparable damage.  They are in danger of losing a generation of football fans.  I'll still watch football on Saturday, but on Sunday I'll watch something else.

bugo

Quote from: 6a on September 25, 2012, 10:04:53 PM

Yes, it's a catch, and no they don't need a blank check.  It's not black and white. 

It was an interception, and it is black and white.  There is no such thing as a "sort of a touchdown."  The rules are very clear, and the refs fucked up.  The NFL lost all of its credibility by standing behind the ruling.  No more NFL for me until they hire the real refs again.

bugo

Quote from: Master son on September 25, 2012, 10:00:56 PM
This becoming more a political thread than a sports thread :eyebrow: keep it civil. --ms

What the fuck are you talking about?  I don't see any politics, unless you consider the rules of the game political.

bugo

Quote from: Beltway on September 25, 2012, 10:03:24 PM
Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 09:43:44 PM

Bwahawhawhaw !!

"The regular refs, who make an average of $150,000 a year for part-time work, want a raise."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/story/2012-09-25/Seahawks-Packers-refs-NFL/57842268/1

Cry me a river...

You go stand out on a field with 350 pound linemen running at full speed and tell me $150K is too much money.  Most of the refs are well under 200 pounds.  They put their lives on the line every time they step onto the field.

6a

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 10:20:30 PM
Quote from: 6a on September 25, 2012, 10:04:53 PM

It was an interception, and it is black and white.  There is no such thing as a "sort of a touchdown."  The rules are very clear, and the refs fucked up.  The NFL lost all of its credibility by standing behind the ruling.  No more NFL for me until they hire the real refs again.
I meant it was a catch by the Packers, sorry for the confusion.

6a

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 10:17:02 PM
Quote from: 6a on September 25, 2012, 10:00:09 PM

Bullshit.

Watch me.  I won't watch another game this year.  I'd rather watch "America's Got Talent" or "The Voice" than another NFL game with these horrible refs.  I hate reality TV, but at least those guys get fair shots.  And I'm far from the only one who is boycotting the NFL.  They are going to lose a lot of money over their stubbornness and cheapness.

You're wrong.  There are going to be mass boycotts of the NFL this year.  They could fix it and create a lot of goodwill by coming to a deal with the refs, but they won't.  They are harming not only the sport but the NFL brand.  Irreparable damage.  They are in danger of losing a generation of football fans.  I'll still watch football on Saturday, but on Sunday I'll watch something else.

Care to step back, take a breath, re-read what I posted and tell me exactly what it was that was in disagreement with you?  If you don't want to bother it was the vehicle for disagreement (I think people will watch, you don't.)  On the other points we look to be in agreement.  Stand down a bit, son.  It's sports. 

bugo

Do not call me "son."  Only one person is allowed to call me that, and that's my dad.  He doesn't even call me that, he calls me by my name.  And I'm older than you.  It's hard to offend me, but calling me "son" is one of the quickest ways to do so.  I demand an apology.

What we disagreed on is that you said "bullshit" when I said that I'm boycotting the NFL. I'm not watching any games as long as these scab refs are still being used, whether you believe it or not.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2012, 10:23:58 PM
You go stand out on a field with 350 pound linemen running at full speed and tell me $150K is too much money.  Most of the refs are well under 200 pounds.  They put their lives on the line every time they step onto the field.

Baloney ... these "collisions" don't happen, refs aren't dying on the field.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Stephane Dumas

I couldn't resist to post this one but just imagine if there was a sequel to the movie The Replacements involving also the referees.  :-D :banghead: :spin:

6a

I see now there are rumblings about taking a knee for a whole game. While I doubt such a thing would ever happen, it is an amusing thought. At the least, it shows the level of frustration by the players.

Special K

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2012, 09:09:17 PM

Not necessarily.  They're used to a certain style and speed of play.  NFL is a totally different breed and the replacements are completely out of their element.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.