News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

FM Radio Dead Zones

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 03, 2021, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

What are some areas of America with either very little FM radio coverage or no FM radio coverage?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2021, 12:02:21 PM
What are some areas of America with either very little FM radio coverage or no FM radio coverage?

There's a radio quiet zone near Green Bank, WV, because of the observatory there. Even without the NRAO, it's such a remote, rural area, that FM radio reception would be very spotty.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sbeaver44

Dumb and naive question about the radio zone around Green Bank...are cell phones impacted?

Max Rockatansky

The central segment of the Sierra Nevada Mountains south of Lake Tahoe to Lake Isabella.

JayhawkCO

I seem to remember not being able to access any radio stations at all when I was driving to a trailhead in the Sangre de Cristo mountains down by Westcliffe, Colorado.  Similarly when I was in Lake City, Colorado.

Chris

Big John

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: sbeaver44 on June 03, 2021, 03:29:27 PM
Dumb and naive question about the radio zone around Green Bank...are cell phones impacted?

Yes, but even if they weren't, that area is so remote that there likely wouldn't be any cell coverage anyway.

After my recent excursion into the mountains of southwestern WV, I've come to the determination that a cell phone is about the most worthless invention one can possess there.

Even home wi-fi is restricted within a certain distance of the NRAO.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on June 03, 2021, 04:59:40 PM

Yes, but even if they weren't, that area is so remote that there likely wouldn't be any cell coverage anyway.

After my recent excursion into the mountains of southwestern WV, I've come to the determination that a cell phone is about the most worthless invention one can possess there.

How do people live there?

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2021, 10:32:02 PM

The same way they have for centuries.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on June 03, 2021, 10:59:10 PM

Especially during the pandemic zoom era.

bandit957

I always had the impression that K-92 got into the Green Bank dead zone somehow.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Dirt Roads

Quote from: bandit957 on June 04, 2021, 12:13:52 AM
I always had the impression that K-92 got into the Green Bank dead zone somehow.

Indeed.  I have caught WXLK in ridgetop areas north of Marlinton on several occasions.

sbeaver44

Ok that makes sense, HB, I figured deep WV is SOL either way.   I was thinking in July I might return back to PA via US 219 the whole way from US 460.  I don't think not having cell service is a problem, but it does allow me to plan to bring offline music, etc.

Scott5114

Nah, the closest it gets is Leavenworth.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Life in Paradise

I have a step brother that lives on the outskirts of the area, and if you have home internet, you simply have a wired network at your home.  Cable TV would be the same, wired in rather than over the air.  There really aren't any television markets that would get a regular signal in.  Roanoke is the largest regular market, and that is too far away.  There are a couple of smaller towns with PBS stations that probably have their antenna configured to not send a signal towards that area.

hbelkins

Quote from: Life in Paradise on June 04, 2021, 04:07:34 PM

I have a step brother that lives on the outskirts of the area, and if you have home internet, you simply have a wired network at your home.  Cable TV would be the same, wired in rather than over the air.  There really aren't any television markets that would get a regular signal in.  Roanoke is the largest regular market, and that is too far away.  There are a couple of smaller towns with PBS stations that probably have their antenna configured to not send a signal towards that area.

I think Harrisonburg is closer than Roanoke, isn't it? I know Harrisonburg has some network OTA affiliates, but not sure if they have all four.

i would think satellite TV would be available in that area, wouldn't it?

I remember reading a story about wired internet for home service in Green Bank. I'm sure there is a way for phones, tablets, etc. to connect to a wired network, but it's probably an expensive piece of hardware if such exists.

CNGL-Leudimin

Any frequency ending in an even number (valid in Europe, but not in the USA). Otherwise, I don't know because this statment by the OP:
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2021, 12:02:21 PM

... and therefore any relative dead zones in my area (i.e. those in which I can only receive public radios and little else) are out of the scope of this thread.
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 04, 2021, 02:00:43 PM

Nah, the closest it gets is Leavenworth.

That would be KS 92, not WXLK :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jmd41280

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Roadgeekteen

roadman65

Wonder if Google can track your location here?😁
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 05, 2021, 08:32:29 AM
That would be KS 92, not WXLK :sombrero:.

How's the weather over in Storkslapper? :spin:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

There are plenty of places where there is little or NO cell phone coverage (including within a 20-mile (32 km) radius of the Green Bank Observatory), and other places where cell phone coverage is very poor, and a very few places with great cell phone coverage. 

National Radio Quiet Zone (NRQZ) (Wikipedia)

National Radio Quiet Zone (Green Bank Observatory Web site)

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: sbeaver44 on June 04, 2021, 09:35:25 AM
Ok that makes sense, HB, I figured deep WV is SOL either way.   I was thinking in July I might return back to PA via US 219 the whole way from US 460.  I don't think not having cell service is a problem, but it does allow me to plan to bring offline music, etc.

I went Sunday to check out the renovated Dingess Tunnel. Lost cell service shortly after turning off US 52 onto WV 65 at Delbarton. Didn't get service back until I was practically in Wayne on WV 152.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.