News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Staten Island should be part of New Jersey

Started by Mike2357, August 17, 2021, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike2357

With the outrageous toll charges, I think there's plenty of cash to go around to both governments. It is literally cheaper to go 70 miles out of the way (north to cuomo bridge and back down) then to go through Staten Island.

1 Gallon = $3.34, 25 miles/gallon, = 3 gallons = 9 dollars spent

Cuomo Bridge: $6.83
Geothals Bridge + Verrazano Bridge: $26.17

= $20 Saved
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 17, 2021, 01:06:24 PM
Please forgive me of this has been discussed elsewhere in the forums years ago.

I think it's been discussed elsewhere for longer than I've been alive.  But I forgive you.

While we're at it, how about Michigan's Upper Peninsula becoming part of Wisconsin, and then fixing everything wrong with the shape of Maryland?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

vdeane

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 17, 2021, 03:15:40 PM
The Dutch were the original settlers in the area and they included Staten Island as part of Manhattan (New Amsterdam) so it's their fault.
Blame the English, they're the ones who split the Dutch territory into New York and New Jersey (with a charter that has nonsensical geography that created massive border disputes).  New York, which had more wealth, largely got what it wanted... New Jersey ended up giving up Staten, Liberty, and Ellis Islands in return for river access.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgZ1f4ACZBQ

For the record, I think the border New Jersey proposed is more logical.

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 17, 2021, 08:29:34 PM
Quote from: Mike2357 on August 17, 2021, 08:11:22 PM
Quote from: kkt on August 17, 2021, 07:38:34 PM
How long would the Staten Island Ferry continue to be free if it crossed state lines?

That should be based on the distance, not where it docks

Problem is if it's New York-to-New York, the New York government has the incentive to provide it as a service to NY residents. If it's New York-to-New Jersey, now, there's two governments involved, and at least some of the benefit is going toward people who don't live (i.e. pay taxes) in New York.
That might have implications for the Verrazzano in this scenario, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Are people in Staten Island more culturally similar to residents of New Jersey?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

I never realized it until now, but this is thread #30000.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 20, 2021, 06:05:40 AM

The forum home page says there are 28,472. Where are the other 1,528? Maybe in the mod/admin-only sections?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: vdeane on August 17, 2021, 09:27:30 PM
How long would the Staten Island Ferry continue to be free if it crossed state lines?
Problem is if it's New York-to-New York, the New York government has the incentive to provide it as a service to NY residents. If it's New York-to-New Jersey, now, there's two governments involved, and at least some of the benefit is going toward people who don't live (i.e. pay taxes) in New York.

In this hypothetical, presumably both the ferry & the Verrazzano would go to PANYNJ (since they operate almost all other infrastructure crossing the state line in the area)?  In which case the ferry almost certainly wouldn't be free anymore, but the Verrazzano toll might actually drop slightly. (And switch to eastbound only?)  :-D

Getting a bit carried away now, but the other hypothetical question I would have is if the Outerbridge, Goethals, & Bayonne would go to another agency since they would no longer be crossing the state line? Maybe NJTA or some newly-created agency such as "Staten Island Bridge Authority"?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman65

My mom always believed Staten Island should be in NJ.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 20, 2021, 10:23:34 AM
Quote from: vdeane on August 17, 2021, 09:27:30 PM

In this hypothetical, presumably both the ferry & the Verrazzano would go to PANYNJ (since they operate almost all other infrastructure crossing the state line in the area)?  In which case the ferry almost certainly wouldn't be free anymore, but the Verrazzano toll might actually drop slightly. (And switch to eastbound only?)  :-D

Getting a bit carried away now, but the other hypothetical question I would have is if the Outerbridge, Goethals, & Bayonne would go to another agency since they would no longer be crossing the state line? Maybe NJTA or some newly-created agency such as "Staten Island Bridge Authority"?
That's assuming it would have been built at all.  Given the size of it, I imagine there'd be less pressure to get it built as it would be an interstate crossing, not an intrastate crossing.  As for the other bridges - would they even be tolled, or would they be like the Pulaski Skyway?  Or maybe Goethals and Bayonne would be part of a Newark Bay Exetension that had gone further south?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on August 20, 2021, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: 1 on August 20, 2021, 06:05:40 AM

The forum home page says there are 28,472. Where are the other 1,528? Maybe in the mod/admin-only sections?

There are 1,575 threads in the admin-only sections, so assuming that 47 threads have been created since this one, that would seem to account for the difference.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.