News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

^ I believe, in addition to that, a project is being planned that would add a 4th southbound lane between VA-3 and US-1.

kernals12

Alps

kernals12

Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2021, 09:58:05 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on August 28, 2021, 04:29:44 PM
Alexandria is planning to widen the Mount Vernon Trail.
Have they never heard of induced demand  :bigass:
this is my favorite post of yours

In order to truly relieve congestion, they need to build an automobile parkway to provide an alternative means of transportation.

SkyPesos

Alps

bluecountry

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 28, 2021, 12:58:46 PM
Express lanes will also be able to exit directly to US 17 at Exit 133 without getting in the CD lanes or the mainline 95 lanes.

South of VA 3, I-95 will still be 3 lanes.  They are getting ready to do a project to widen the off-ramp at Exit 126 to 2 lanes and extend a transtion lane on US 1-17 south from that ramp in an effort to keep traffic from backing up onto I-95 SB.
Will that do much to help?  I can't find for some reason the renderings of the new ramp.

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 28, 2021, 01:54:52 PM
^ I believe, in addition to that, a project is being planned that would add a 4th southbound lane between VA-3 and US-1.
Really?  Where did you see this stated?

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on August 31, 2021, 12:24:27 AM
Express lanes will also be able to exit directly to US 17 at Exit 133 without getting in the CD lanes or the mainline 95 lanes.

South of VA 3, I-95 will still be 3 lanes.  They are getting ready to do a project to widen the off-ramp at Exit 126 to 2 lanes and extend a transtion lane on US 1-17 south from that ramp in an effort to keep traffic from backing up onto I-95 SB.
Will that do much to help?  I can't find for some reason the renderings of the new ramp.

The 2013 Fredericksburg Relief Study has extending the C/D lanes from VA 3 to US 1 with options for exits at both VA 208 and SR 620 Harrison Rd.

This 2019 Corridor Improvement Plan does float adding a 4th lane

Here is a rendering of the Exit 126 ramp project - https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Fredericksburg/Exit_126_Improvements/publichearing_displayone.pdf

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 31, 2021, 11:26:11 AM
https://twitter.com/STATter911/status/1432706328082976776

This has been going on here for quite a few years.  ACPD and VSP could issue a lot of summonses here (maybe for reckless driving too) to people that do this.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

It really amazes me people go lengths to do this... there's literally a direct connector ramp to the HO/T lanes from the GP on ramp.

1995hoo

The thing I used to see there every morning back when I drove downtown to work was people already on I-395 cutting to the right at the top of that ramp to use the acceleration lane as a passing lane; many of them would just continue down the shoulder so as to use the lanes merging from Route 1 to pass more traffic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

bluecountry

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 31, 2021, 06:23:46 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 31, 2021, 12:24:27 AM

The 2013 Fredericksburg Relief Study has extending the C/D lanes from VA 3 to US 1 with options for exits at both VA 208 and SR 620 Harrison Rd.

This 2019 Corridor Improvement Plan does float adding a 4th lane

Here is a rendering of the Exit 126 ramp project - https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Fredericksburg/Exit_126_Improvements/publichearing_displayone.pdf
Thanks for that info, and links, but that really confuses me.

So right now, 95 is 6 lanes (3-3) throughout Stafford, Fredericksburg, and Spotsylvania.
Once complete, the construction now will have it so:
-95 is 3-2-3 in Stafford to Route 17
-95 is 3-3-3-3 from Route 17 to Route 3
What will 95 be south of Route 3 to Route 1/17, and from Route 1/17 south to 295?

sprjus4

^ 6 lanes (3 each way) for both, as it is built today.

Old Dominionite

Quote from: kernals12 on August 29, 2021, 08:39:09 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2021, 09:58:05 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on August 28, 2021, 04:29:44 PM
Alexandria is planning to widen the Mount Vernon Trail.
Have they never heard of induced demand  :bigass:
this is my favorite post of yours

In order to truly relieve congestion, they need to build an automobile parkway to provide an alternative means of transportation.

I think the city will try to make the Mount Vernon Trail wider than Seminary Road...and then boast about it.

AlexandriaVA

At least pre-covid, the MVT always had a steady stream of bike commuters from South Arlington, Alexandria, and even eastern Fairfax county. It's very useful to get to many of the major business districts in DC and near the Pentagon.

AlexandriaVA

Also, I have yet to be stuck in one of these alleged seminary road traffic jams, despite living within earshot of the road...

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 02, 2021, 01:13:21 AM
^ 6 lanes (3 each way) for both, as it is built today.
Ouch, not good.

Thing 342

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 06, 2021, 12:36:25 AM
At least pre-covid, the MVT always had a steady stream of bike commuters from South Arlington, Alexandria, and even eastern Fairfax county. It's very useful to get to many of the major business districts in DC and near the Pentagon.
A widening certainly seems warranted after looking at Street View; the trail seems barely wider than a footpath in places and I bet it's no fun trying to dodge joggers in the morning.

AlexandriaVA

Another trail in Northern Virginia, the Washington and Old Dominion (named after the railroad that used to operate on that right-of-way) has been undergoing a widening project in Falls Church, whereby there will be a separate path for walkers/joggers, and bikers/horses*.

I was just out there yesterday, and it's coming along nicely.

*Horseback riding is allowed on the W&OD, but I've never seen it in 10 years of patronizing the trail. I think most equestrian activity is out in Loudoun County.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 11, 2021, 12:56:00 PM
*Horseback riding is allowed on the W&OD, but I've never seen it in 10 years of patronizing the trail. I think most equestrian activity is out in Loudoun County.

It's been some 28 years since I lived in downtown Herndon, but we used to walk and bike alongside horses west of there back then.  Not sure how they got into Herndon, but they always seemed to be starting out from the W&OD train station and headed west.  [Back in those days, there were still several big farms in the Frying Pan area and I know there was plenty of horse boarding in that area].

Thing 342

Understandable, not too many places to tie up your horse while at work in DC these days.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 11, 2021, 10:17:57 PM
It's been some 28 years since I lived in downtown Herndon, but we used to walk and bike alongside horses west of there back then.  Not sure how they got into Herndon, but they always seemed to be starting out from the W&OD train station and headed west.  [Back in those days, there were still several big farms in the Frying Pan area and I know there was plenty of horse boarding in that area].

By the way, it was crazy trying to cross VA-28 at grade on foot or on bicycle back in those days.  I can't imagine how you could have gotten a bunch of horses across all that traffic.  But sometimes we would see them on both sides.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.