News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fairbanks?

Started by coatimundi, February 19, 2016, 12:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coatimundi

I'm going to be in Fairbanks in a couple of weeks. Both to hit my 50th state and to try and see the Aurora. I can't do anything dramatic, like clinching an Alaska interstate, since it's very much winter there still, but I was wondering if there was anything of road geek interest there that I should check out semi-locally. New and/or interesting bridges? Interesting intersections? I see they have at least one SPUI.

Thunderbyrd316

If you go just north of Fairbanks on Hwy. 2 you will encounter the farthest north highway interchange in North America at the junction with Chena Hot Springs Road. (There are freeway interchanges farther north than this in Europe.)

Going just a very few miles further north will bring you to the end of the northern most 4 lane highway segment in North America.

Also, the Johansen Expressway in Fairbanks has the ONLY exit numbers that I know of in the entire state of Alaska.

Enjoy your trip.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on February 19, 2016, 02:43:04 PM
   If you go just north of Fairbanks on Hwy. 2 you will encounter the farthest north highway interchange in North America at the junction with Chena Hot Springs Road. (There are freeway interchanges farther north than this in Europe.)

This interchange on Alaska 2 (Steese Highway) is at about 64°53'17.9"N 147°37'22.4"W.

In Töre, Kalix, Sweden, there is a junction between two arterial highways E4 and E10 (north) at 65°54'34.3"N 22°39'18.8"E.

In Kyläjoki, Finland, there is a segment of highway E8 approaching Tornio on the Finnish/Swedish border that is full motorway, including this interchange at 65°50'15.4"N 24°16'46.9"EThat might be the northernmost freeway interchange in Europe (and maybe the world).

The interchange in Töre is "south" of Tornio (E4 is a north-south road), but because E4 runs mostly east-and west between Töre and its "northern" terminus at Tornio in Finland, the interchange at Töre lies further north than Kyläjoki.

South of Töre (along E4/E10) where E4/E10 has an isolated section of Super-2 bypassing Luleå, might be the northernmost freeway interchange in Sweden (if we accept Super-2 as a freeway) at 65°37'27.6"N 22°03'33.2"E, still north of the interchange on Alaska 2.

Sorry if this is TMI.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 21, 2016, 04:38:12 PM
South of Töre (along E4/E10) where E4/E10 has an isolated section of Super-2 bypassing Luleå, might be the northernmost freeway interchange in Sweden (if we accept Super-2 as a freeway) at 65°37'27.6"N 22°03'33.2"E, still north of the interchange on Alaska 2.

Since highway 97 appears to be full freeway here, I am not sure why there would be a need to accept the E4/E10 "Super-2" segment as freeway in any event.

And no, I do NOT think this is too much information. I would think people would find this fascinating. Though I have known about the Kemi, Finland stretch of the E-8 freeway for years. 

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on February 19, 2016, 02:43:04 PM
   Also, the Johansen Expressway in Fairbanks has the ONLY exit numbers that I know of in the entire state of Alaska.

And also one of Alaska's few SPUIs.

East of Fairbanks, on Chena Hot Springs Rd. roughly halfway to the springs, look for a set of thermosiphon pipes along the side of the road. Those pipes refrigerate a patch of permafrost under the road that would undermine the pavement if it ever thawed. The Milepost guide to Arctic highways (get one, if you don't have it already) might be able to pinpoint the location.

At the north end of AK 3, one of the exit signs seems to tell you to drive south to the North Pole. Actually, it refers to the Christmas-themed suburb of North Pole, with many candy-cane light poles. That interchange also has an AK 3 route marker with a rare "end" banner -- Arctic custom seems to use "end" banners only where, as with AK 3, they are completely unnecessary.

If you have time, drive northwest on the Elliott Highway (part of AK 2), which is paved all the way to the Dalton Highway (AK 11) junction. Along the way, around mile 50, is a store where you can stock up on Dalton Highway and other souvenirs. You can also drive a little bit of the Dalton (despite what the car rental contract says) so you can say you've done it, though Alaska DOT&PF has plans for a bypass of that particular hairy stretch at the south end of the Dalton.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Chris

There's also a four-lane, controlled-access highway through Rovaniemi, Finland at 66.31 N.

Even farther north, the recently constructed bypass of Murmansk, Russia has a section with four lanes, interchanges and one full cloverleaf: https://www.google.com/maps/@68.8765168,33.1253331,635m/data=!3m1!1e3 It is located at 68.59 N, comparable to Inuvik, Canada or just north of the Brooks Range in Alaska.

Murmansk:

Tromsøysund Tunnel in Tromsø, Norway is the northernmost four-lane highway at 69.41 N, comparable to 30 miles south of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. However it does not have any grade-separation.

Rothman

Is there signage at that cloverleaf? :D

When I lived in Volgograd, there was a single overhead BGS in the entire city.  I just spent some time trying to find it and couldn't.  Looks like Russians have gone crazy with billboards to a level only reached in some Madison Ave. man's dreams.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

qguy

Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2016, 08:19:37 AM
Sorry if this is TMI.

Absolutely not.  Thanks.

I'm sorry; I don't understand. What is this expression "TMI" of which you speak?

Actually, I don't think it's an officially recognized concept on this forum and glad for it!   :thumbsup:

nexus73

Quote from: qguy on February 23, 2016, 06:06:32 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2016, 08:19:37 AM
Sorry if this is TMI.

Absolutely not.  Thanks.

I'm sorry; I don't understand. What is this expression "TMI" of which you speak?

Actually, I don't think it's an officially recognized concept on this forum and glad for it!   :thumbsup:

TMI = Too Much Information

Was that TMI?  LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Chris on February 22, 2016, 10:03:35 AM
Even farther north, the recently constructed bypass of Murmansk, Russia has a section with four lanes, interchanges and one full cloverleaf: https://www.google.com/maps/@68.8765168,33.1253331,635m/data=!3m1!1e3 It is located at 68.59 N, comparable to Inuvik, Canada or just north of the Brooks Range in Alaska.

This is definitely new, though Russia has been spending  a lot of resources on upgrading its (often terrible) highway system since the late 1990's.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.