News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TWC Naming Winter Storms

Started by 74/171FAN, November 07, 2012, 11:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

The Weather Channel has decided to name winter storms (yes I know I am slightly late on this) as the current Nor'Easter is being called Winter Storm Athena.

I'm personally not a big fan of this.  I can understand naming Nor'Easters somewhat as they are normally their own systems; however, many winter storms come as a part of cold fronts so are all cold fronts with snow involved going to be named?  I doubt this would happen but does that mean that lake effect snow bands that do not move anywhere should get named as well?  I just don't understand the point.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Scott5114

The rationale for naming notable winter storms and hurricanes would seem to me to be about the same. It helps having a name to refer to a particular storm, especially historically, so you don't have to refer to, say, the "2009 Oklahoma snowstorm".

Rather than naming all storms at the outset like is done with tropical storms, I would imagine that this naming would be applied only to storms with the potential to make a great impact (i.e. the same sort of storm that, were it a hurricane, the name would be retired).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 07, 2012, 12:02:38 PM

Rather than naming all storms at the outset like is done with tropical storms, I would imagine that this naming would be applied only to storms with the potential to make a great impact (i.e. the same sort of storm that, were it a hurricane, the name would be retired).

My understanding was pretty similar to this. Only nor'easters (that had not already been part of a named hurricane, like Sandy) and particularly powerful Arctic cold fronts would be named. Some of their names in the list are pretty cheesy, though. Khan? Q?
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

roadman

Well, if Kahn turns out to be a bad storm, they can call the storm's damage "The Wrath Of Kahn".  And then the Star Trek franchise lawyers will wind up owning TWC.  Anbody want the ten-day forecast for Seti Alpha V?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mgk920

One of the local TV stations here in NE Wisconsin (WLUK-TV, channel 11 in Green Bay and a regular poster here in AARoads) has been doing that for many years now.  They use area small towns as a source of names.

Mike

tdindy88

I'm personally waiting for Winter Storm Gandolf. I know it's one letter off, but I'd love to hear "and they're saying that NONE SHALL PASS on the interstates today!"

vdeane

Luna?  Saturn?  Please tell me these are named after the Sailor Moon characters!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: roadman on November 07, 2012, 12:34:51 PM
Well, if Kahn turns out to be a bad storm, they can call the storm's damage "The Wrath Of Kahn".  And then the Star Trek franchise lawyers will wind up owning TWC.  Anbody want the ten-day forecast for Seti Alpha V?

Same thing for Winter Storm Q.  ;)

I see they're going with a Classical History theme; Greek and Roman names.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

74/171FAN

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 07, 2012, 12:02:38 PM
The rationale for naming notable winter storms and hurricanes would seem to me to be about the same. It helps having a name to refer to a particular storm, especially historically, so you don't have to refer to, say, the "2009 Oklahoma snowstorm".

The article states that nothing would be named until 2 to 3 days beforehand for that reason.  I am just unsure if they could maybe name a storm after the fact like maybe a prolonged period of Lake Effect Snow dumping snow all over Michigan or something.

Here TWC states that they mainly named Athena  due to the societal impact post-Sandy.  To be honest this statement confuses me slightly more than getting me to buy into the idea.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

florida

I like the idea and think it has more to do with the twitterverse and those hashtags.
So many roads...so little time.

Scott5114

I hope that if this becomes a seriously-considered proposal, they don't just limit it to severe Northeastern weather events. A snow event of any size will usually shut down Oklahoma City for a day or two. A Northeastern forecaster would probably consider most of our snowstorms small potatoes but we are less tolerant of them, so a "big" snowstorm here will be smaller than a "big" snowstorm in Michigan or Connecticut or something.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 08, 2012, 08:20:37 AM
I hope that if this becomes a seriously-considered proposal, they don't just limit it to severe Northeastern weather events. A snow event of any size will usually shut down Oklahoma City for a day or two. A Northeastern forecaster would probably consider most of our snowstorms small potatoes but we are less tolerant of them, so a "big" snowstorm here will be smaller than a "big" snowstorm in Michigan or Connecticut or something.

They already named Brutus for a system that is supposed to bring a blizzard to Montana and western North Dakota.

Alex

Another reason for them to garner ridicule from the TWC fans of the classic days. "Winter Storm Athena will be preempted tonight for a premiere episode of Coast Guard Alaska". Lame on all kinds of levels. As lame as having nine "field-reporters" covering one storm. Where does that leave actual synoptic weather or weather maps for those who just want to know where a system is located and where it is heading?

deathtopumpkins

The problem is that 99% of viewers don't want that. They want destruction and disaster and drama, rather than science!

And, quite fortunately, the National Weather Service has refused to use TWC's names.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

Quote from: Alex on November 08, 2012, 09:07:30 AM
Another reason for them to garner ridicule from the TWC fans of the classic days. "Winter Storm Athena will be preempted tonight for a premiere episode of Coast Guard Alaska". Lame on all kinds of levels. As lame as having nine "field-reporters" covering one storm. Where does that leave actual synoptic weather or weather maps for those who just want to know where a system is located and where it is heading?

Maybe it's time for someone to make a competing weather network, with a more serious outlook on things. No idea how popular it would be though. Could just be that, like many other things, people wanting serious, in-depth discussion now have no choice but to turn to the Internet for the coverage they want, having been let down by traditional media sources. (Plus the WS4000 emulator to let us remember the good old days...)

It is hard as hell to find a real weather map. Usually the only place you can find them is from universities. I know what isobars and wind barbs mean, dammit, give me the real maps!

Sanctimoniously

Is Weatherscan still around or did they get rid of that?
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 08, 2012, 09:56:14 AM
Quote from: Alex on November 08, 2012, 09:07:30 AM

Maybe it's time for someone to make a competing weather network, with a more serious outlook on things. No idea how popular it would be though. Could just be that, like many other things, people wanting serious, in-depth discussion now have no choice but to turn to the Internet for the coverage they want, having been let down by traditional media sources. (Plus the WS4000 emulator to let us remember the good old days...)

It is hard as hell to find a real weather map. Usually the only place you can find them is from universities. I know what isobars and wind barbs mean, dammit, give me the real maps!
One of my friends always joked that he could take down TWC by having a Local on the 7s.  ;-)  Seriously though I think TWC has kinda become like ESPN (which technically has competition but the other networks I have never found on cable) as they believe that not enough people will ever stop using their services (specifically online) that any thing they do to gain ratings and beat other networks will not hurt them overall.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: mgk920 on November 07, 2012, 12:50:11 PM
One of the local TV stations here in NE Wisconsin (WLUK-TV, channel 11 in Green Bay and a regular poster here in AARoads) has been doing that for many years now.  They use area small towns as a source of names.

Mike

They've been doing it for years here in CT.  WFSB, the CBS affiliate has named storms for decades.  For example, last year's Snowtober storm was Winter Storm Alfred.  God help us if we get to winter storm Zeus or Zoe.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MVHighways

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on November 08, 2012, 10:16:19 AM
Is Weatherscan still around or did they get rid of that?
Yes, it is still around.

I personally do not care even the slightest bit for this naming system. They claim it will ease confusion, but listen to this. TWC and, let's say your local NBC affiliate are calling a winter storm "Ceasar". The local newspaper could name it after an animal (ex. Wolf), the local ABC affiliate not naming it, CNN naming it after one of their popular staff members (let's say for example Anderson Cooper), the local CBS affiliate naming it after what street they're on, and the National Weather Service (obviously) doing NOTHING. Even with one or two names it gets INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to track - except for geeks - unless the name was assigned by the National Weather Service.

Scott5114

"Anderson Cooper is ravaging the Northeast, while Wolf Blitzer is hammering the Great Lakes. Meanwhile, the central sections of the country are gearing up for a storm system that may organize into Piers Morgan..."

english si

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 18, 2012, 10:45:28 PMMeanwhile, the central sections of the country are gearing up for a storm system that may organize into Piers Morgan..."
I can't think of anything more horrible.

As Stephen Fry said (say it out loud): definition of countryside = killing Piers Morgan.

Hopefully he'll end up in prison before fading to obscurity - his paper (the Mirror/Sunday Mirror), when he was editor, was far, far worse than News of the World (and indeed, all the Murdoch group put together - and perhaps every other paper, but the Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday) for illegally obtaining information - phone hacking and the like. He's also denied that he knew about it, despite the evidence pointing the other way. Judging by the delay and lack of arrest, the prosecutors are aiming to build an iron clad, air tight case against him, making sure that he gets sent down for as long as possible.

vdeane

"Matty Mouron is about to dump a bunch of snow onto MDOT roadways"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

berberry

Quote from: florida on November 08, 2012, 03:19:56 AM
I like the idea and think it has more to do with the twitterverse and those hashtags.

I think that's correct because it's the rationale that by far makes the most sense.  I can see the benefit where you might have more than one active winter storm impacting the US at once.  I think the Weather Service is just being recalcitrant.  This does seem like a gimmick on TWC's part, so I can understand the NWS's hesitation.  If the names prove successful in social media then they'll probably become permanent and the usage will be much more widespread in a few years.  And if not, then not.

oscar

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 08, 2012, 09:56:14 AM

Canada has The Weather Network, which so far seems not to be buying into winter storm names (either TWC's or its own).  For that reason and others, I'm liking their online weather forecasts better than TWC's for planning a trip up north between winter storms (already delayed several times by inconveniently-timed storms). 

Their TV shows are too Canada- and metric-centric for the U.S. market, but maybe they could do a U.S.-specific product to horn in on TWC's market share.  My own cable provider for now is Comcast, which is in TWC's corporate family, but competing cable providers like Verizon and Cox might welcome the opportunity to stick it to Comcast. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

More importantly, the general populace totally has not bought into it. After "Athena", I have seen or heard a grand total of one reference to another named winter storm (Draco). People don't care.

The problem, as I see it, is that a storm has to be particularly nasty for a name to stick with people. All hurricanes are, but most snowstorms are not. You might get one or two blizzards in a year that are memorable enough to be worth naming, if that. There just isn't enough potential for an alphabetic naming system to work.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.