News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Advise on Travel on I-5 from California to Vancouver BC in late December-January

Started by kendancy66, October 31, 2023, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kendancy66

I wanted to find out if there might be weather related issues travelling On I-5 from Los Angeles to Vancouver BC in late December.  I know that there are sometimes issues travelling over the Grapevine north of Los Angeles.  But not familiar with the part of I-5 in Northern California past Sacramento and Oregon.  I know there is a mountain pass on the CA-OR border.  Are there ever weather related closures through that pass and through Oregon? If there are closures, could they be avoided by travelling along on the coast on US-101?

Max Rockatansky

The most weather prone portion is Siskiyou Pass right at the California/Oregon state line.  There are occasional closures but they generally don't last long.  The bigger concern is having to potentially deal with chain controls. 

To that end, there are segments of US 101 north of Eureka which occasionally get snow also.  You are more likely to run into severe winter rains more than anything.  There aren't really many good return routes from US 101 to I-5 between US 199 and US 26. 

gonealookin

Portland occasionally grinds to a halt during snow and ice storms.  Ice storms can happen with a weather pattern that sends frigid air from the east down the Columbia River.  I-84 gets the worst of that and can be closed for a few days, but Portland is also impacted because not many people there are driving on winter tires.  Seattle also famously has issues with snow storms.  These aren't too common, and some winters probably go by with little to no ice or snow at all, but if you draw that particular straw you'll be impacted.

Agreed that Siskiyou Summit ("Highest Point on Interstate 5!") frequently has chain requirements and occasional full closures, and that's the forecast you need to look at a few days ahead to decide on timing going over that.

kendancy66

Thanks for responses, Max and gonealookin.  Does anyone have alternate route suggestions, in case there are chain controls?  I currently don't have any chains.  Should I get some, just to be safe?
I checked on Google Maps and see that detouring from Red Bluff to Eureka to Crescent City to Grants Pass would add 2.5 hours to trip on the way there

Max Rockatansky

Realistically you would need to turn inland pretty far south of Red Bluff to find a suitable road to get to US 101 from Red Bluff.  36 isn't exactly what I would consider difficult but it is pretty curvy and you're likely to run into the same chain controls that would be hypothetically affecting Siskiyou Pass. 

Really to answer your question about chains we would need to know what you are driving.  If you have an AWD of 4WD vehicle you can pretty much bypass R1 Chain Controls. 

gonealookin

Quote from: kendancy66 on November 01, 2023, 02:25:55 AM
Thanks for responses, Max and gonealookin.  Does anyone have alternate route suggestions, in case there are chain controls?  I currently don't have any chains.  Should I get some, just to be safe?
I checked on Google Maps and see that detouring from Red Bluff to Eureka to Crescent City to Grants Pass would add 2.5 hours to trip on the way there

I would probably use CA 20 to get from I-5 to US 101, or even possibly go through the Bay Area and over the Richmond Bridge.  Years ago when I was in the Bay Area and my grandparents lived in Medford I would go up US 101 through Crescent City and Grants Pass if the weather north of Redding looked bad.  It does add some time, but if you run into weather issues on I-5 that you would rarely see on US 101/199, subtract that difference.

Having chains is never a bad idea.  A cheap set of cable chains is fine and you can find those for $39.99 at a place like Walmart.  You do want to know how to put them on; reading the instructions and trying to figure that out for the first time alongside the highway in miserable weather is not smart.  If you do buy chains, I recommend going through the installation procedure beforehand, perhaps by going to an empty office building parking lot on the weekend, putting them on and driving around a little bit to make sure you've got it right.

kendancy66

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2023, 09:15:38 AM
Realistically you would need to turn inland pretty far south of Red Bluff to find a suitable road to get to US 101 from Red Bluff.  36 isn't exactly what I would consider difficult but it is pretty curvy and you're likely to run into the same chain controls that would be hypothetically affecting Siskiyou Pass. 

Really to answer your question about chains we would need to know what you are driving.  If you have an AWD of 4WD vehicle you can pretty much bypass R1 Chain Controls. 
The car I am renting for the trip is a Ford Edge.  A quick goggle search says that after 2022 year, the ford edge has all wheel drive as a standard feature.  So based on what you previously said, I think should be okay then without chains. But will still think about the different options based on weather reports a couple of days ahead of time.

jakeroot

Heavy rain from storms like a pineapple express/atmospheric river would be my primary concern, apart from higher elevation snow near the CA/OR border.

Virtually all of I-5 from Northern California up to Vancouver (i.e. BC-99) can get snow in winter, but I don't think it's a common occurrence anywhere along the route.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Tejon Pass has some fairly regular snow closures.  They usually are short and if known or in advance can be avoided via US 101.

Quote from: kendancy66 on November 02, 2023, 05:46:57 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2023, 09:15:38 AM

The car I am renting for the trip is a Ford Edge.  A quick goggle search says that after 2022 year, the ford edge has all wheel drive as a standard feature.  So based on what you previously said, I think should be okay then without chains. But will still think about the different options based on weather reports a couple of days ahead of time.

In theory, unless you encounter R2 chain controls and an aggressive chain control inspection zone.  AWD/4WD is required to carry chains in R2 conditions but not required to wear them until R3.  Realistically CHP would just shut down I-5 instead of deploying R3 chain controls.  You probably could also play the tourism card and say you "didn't know" if you encountered R2 controls and get asked if you have chains.

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2023, 08:14:05 AM
In theory, unless you encounter R2 chain controls and an aggressive chain control inspection zone.  AWD/4WD is required to carry chains in R2 conditions but not required to wear them until R3.  Realistically CHP would just shut down I-5 instead of deploying R3 chain controls.  You probably could also play the tourism card and say you "didn't know" if you encountered R2 controls and get asked if you have chains.

I *think* I-5 over Siskiyou Summit has Caltrans chain inspection stops when chain requirements are in effect.  The stop would be after the chain installation point; it's not whether you are carrying chains, it's whether they are already on your tires, or alternately confirming that you have 4WD/AWD with snow tires (the Ford Edge rented in Southern California won't have snow tires).  Here in the Tahoe area Caltrans has those stops on I-80 and US 50 over the Sierra; on lesser roads they just flip the "Chains Required" signs around, there's no checkpoint and if out of compliance you proceed at your own risk.

Quillz

Theoretically you could take CA-96 to some unnumbered roads that also cross the state line into Oregon and would eventually lead back to I-5. But then you're dealing with the Klamath Range. But I know places like Happy Camp and Seiad Valley do provide possible alternatives, but no clue if those roads are decent quality or not.

cl94

Quote from: gonealookin on November 02, 2023, 11:12:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2023, 08:14:05 AM

I *think* I-5 over Siskiyou Summit has Caltrans chain inspection stops when chain requirements are in effect.  The stop would be after the chain installation point; it's not whether you are carrying chains, it's whether they are already on your tires, or alternately confirming that you have 4WD/AWD with snow tires (the Ford Edge rented in Southern California won't have snow tires).  Here in the Tahoe area Caltrans has those stops on I-80 and US 50 over the Sierra; on lesser roads they just flip the "Chains Required" signs around, there's no checkpoint and if out of compliance you proceed at your own risk.

It does. Heck, I-5 occasionally has checkpoints before/during/after storms where they'll check if you have chains even if chain controls aren't active.

The key with "snow tires" is that the law technically requires M+S tires. Most all-season tires are M+S. Unless your rental has summer tires, it should be fine in R2. They may ask to see your chains, but likely won't if you are driving something AWD with decent tires.

If you're concerned about chain controls, buy a cheap set of chains at a national retailer such as Walmart or Auto Zone and keep the receipt. If you don't use them, return them and get your money back. I have chains in my trunk to placate CHP, but if conditions are bad enough that they're actually needed, I don't want to be driving.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

I don't believe most all-season tires are M&S.  Those have the mountain symbol on them and, last time I bought tires a year ago or so, there were a lot of all-season tires without that symbol.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on November 04, 2023, 07:27:41 PM
I don't believe most all-season tires are M&S.  Those have the mountain symbol on them and, last time I bought tires a year ago or so, there were a lot of all-season tires without that symbol.

M+S is not the same as the mountain symbol. M+S is tread pattern, mountain symbol means it was tested in snow/ice. M+S is all that's required to be legal in any state with snow tire requirements.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on November 04, 2023, 08:19:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 04, 2023, 07:27:41 PM

M+S is not the same as the mountain symbol. M+S is tread pattern, mountain symbol means it was tested in snow/ice. M+S is all that's required to be legal in any state with snow tire requirements.

If the tread is at 3mm or less in theory CHP could still turn around a car with snow coded tires. 

pderocco

Another possibility is to stay on the "dry" side of the Sierra Nevada and the Cascades, by going up CA-14 and US-395 to Susanville, then CA-139 and OR-39 to Klamath Falls, then US-97 and US-197 to the Columbia River. That's the lowest elevation point to cross over to I-5. And that route is also a beautiful ride. The down side is that US-395 is often closed by snow because it goes up 3000 feet higher than I-5. So it all depends on where the bad weather is.

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 31, 2023, 11:02:58 PM
The most weather prone portion is Siskiyou Pass right at the California/Oregon state line.  There are occasional closures but they generally don't last long.  The bigger concern is having to potentially deal with chain controls. 

To that end, there are segments of US 101 north of Eureka which occasionally get snow also.  You are more likely to run into severe winter rains more than anything.  There aren't really many good return routes from US 101 to I-5 between US 199 and US 26. 

Many good E/W routes are present in Oregon.  42, 38, 126, 34, 18, US 30...I have driven all of them and never seen any winter problems unless the conditions were severe enough to close down both 101 and I-5.  6 from Tilalmook going east has to deal with Wilson River flooding.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on November 07, 2023, 08:24:58 AM

Many good E/W routes are present in Oregon.  42, 38, 126, 34, 18, US 30...I have driven all of them and never seen any winter problems unless the conditions were severe enough to close down both 101 and I-5.  6 from Tilalmook going east has to deal with Wilson River flooding.

Rick

Right, but how many are exactly "time efficient?"  US 26 and US 30 are probably the most practical to get back to I-5 north of US 199.  It might be just more advantageous to just stay on US 101 all the way north to Washington and take US 12 back to I-5.

pderocco

The O.P. didn't ask specifically for a time-efficient route, and there are so many beautiful scenic routes between Los Angeles and Vancouver. The most boring route is I-5 through the California Central Valley. The second most boring route is CA-99 through the Central Valley. I-5 north of Red Bluff, CA is at least pleasant, occasionally beautiful. US-101, US-97, and US-395 are all trips to remember, although US-101 in Oregon and Washington is pretty slow.

jakeroot

Quote from: pderocco on November 06, 2023, 11:27:26 PM
Another possibility is to stay on the "dry" side of the Sierra Nevada and the Cascades, by going up CA-14 and US-395 to Susanville, then CA-139 and OR-39 to Klamath Falls, then US-97 and US-197 to the Columbia River. That's the lowest elevation point to cross over to I-5. And that route is also a beautiful ride. The down side is that US-395 is often closed by snow because it goes up 3000 feet higher than I-5. So it all depends on where the bad weather is.

I appreciate that you addressed the major concern with that route. Though it can be drier, when a precipitation event does occur, it seems more likely to be snow on that side of the mountains. Driving in heavy rain is a miserable experience, but I would probably take it over snow.

My other major concern is actually the Columbia River stretch, along I-84. That stretch can get some pretty interesting weather, especially freezing rain as I recall.

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 07, 2023, 08:28:42 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on November 07, 2023, 08:24:58 AM

Rick

Right, but how many are exactly "time efficient?"  US 26 and US 30 are probably the most practical to get back to I-5 north of US 199.  It might be just more advantageous to just stay on US 101 all the way north to Washington and take US 12 back to I-5.

"Time efficiency" takes a back seat to "Can I get from Point A to Point B" in the winter when discussing NorCal and Oregon.  Snowed in passes, slides, flooded roads...these all impact the choice of routes.
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

pderocco

Quote from: nexus73 on November 07, 2023, 09:04:41 PM
"Time efficiency" takes a back seat to "Can I get from Point A to Point B" in the winter when discussing NorCal and Oregon.  Snowed in passes, slides, flooded roads...these all impact the choice of routes.

Sure, but if you watch the weather and traffic reports, there is still a good chance that some or all of the route will have nice weather, even in January. I've done LA to Portland (or the reverse) probably half a dozen times in winter, and I only recall one trip that was iffy due to snow, and one where it rained heavily.

Quillz

Quote from: pderocco on November 07, 2023, 03:51:11 PM
The O.P. didn't ask specifically for a time-efficient route, and there are so many beautiful scenic routes between Los Angeles and Vancouver. The most boring route is I-5 through the California Central Valley. The second most boring route is CA-99 through the Central Valley. I-5 north of Red Bluff, CA is at least pleasant, occasionally beautiful. US-101, US-97, and US-395 are all trips to remember, although US-101 in Oregon and Washington is pretty slow.
A nice variant is to utilize the Volcanic Scenic Byway. Instead of I-5 to the west, drive CA-89, especially between Lassen and Shasta. Some great views of the mountains and surrounding area. I did the entirety of CA-49, then cut onto CA-70 westward to CA-89. But you can vary it up how you'd like.

kendancy66

I am following up to report my trip.  On the way up on 1-1-24, the weather was perfect.  In Dunsmuir, it was mostly sunny, temp was upper 40's to low 50's (from my recollection).  I saw mountain that was completely white. I am not sure if that was Mt Shasta or not. No issues at all.  However on the way back on 1-7-24 was a different story.  It had snowed the previous day and was cloudy and near freezing temperatures.  It looked like several inches based on what was on the side of the road.  But by the time I drove through the pass between Oregon and California, the road was mostly clear except for some wet pavement.  I was worried about ice but did not have any issues

Quillz

QuoteI am not sure if that was Mt Shasta or not.
Yes, it was. Shasta has snow year-round and on a clear day, can be seen as far south as Sacramento. The surrounding area is very flat so it has a huge amount of prominence. Likewise, you can see it from as far north as Crater Lake in Oregon. It's also easily viewed from the Lassen summit.

US-97 about 10 miles northeast of Weed has a good viewing platform you can pull into. It's almost directly north of the mountain and you get one of the best unobstructed views. Also has some signs explaining the history of the mountain, and how the current mountain was formed much more recently than I would have expected (it's a young mountain similar to Mt. St. Helens).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.