News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US route 67 patching and milling in Jacksonville, AR

Started by capt.ron, August 27, 2014, 01:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

Anybody driving towards Jacksonville be careful of the construction going on there. Traffic is stop and go at times. They are replacing some of the concrete and milling it down and making it smooth. I'm also seeing temporary jersey barriers just south of Jacksonville extending onto the newer 6 lane section as well. And it also looks like they will be replacing bad sections and milling the freeway north of Jacksonville to the Pulaski County line as well.
AHTD, is this in any way related to the planned 6 lane expansion of the 67 freeway from Jax. to exit 16?

AHTD

ABSOLUTELY!

The work north of the Main Street overpass is a sectional replacement project. The contractor is replacing/repairing select 6-foot by 12-foot sections of the route up to State Highway 5 in Cabot. This work should be complete by the end of the year. This will tide us over until we can rip up the pavement and reset the grade and widen the freeway.

South of this area, work has begun on the replacement (and widening) of the Redmond Road and Main Street overpasses. We will extend the three-lane freeway to just north of the Main Street overpass. This should be completed by 2016.

Now is your time to find an alternate route!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Road Hog

I'm glad the freeway through Jacksonville is finally getting fixed. That concrete has to date to the 1960s and it is some of the roughest ride you'll find anywhere. I imagine a lot of storefronts are going away, too. That is a narrow channel.

RBBrittain

Quote from: Road Hog on September 25, 2014, 01:30:02 AM
I'm glad the freeway through Jacksonville is finally getting fixed. That concrete has to date to the 1960s and it is some of the roughest ride you'll find anywhere. I imagine a lot of storefronts are going away, too. That is a narrow channel.
Yeah, but it will be VERY expensive to buy & rip out those storefronts. That's why they're patching the pavement now, so it'll last till they can figure out how to squeeze 6 lanes out of a ROW made for 4 lanes with a guardrail median (the Jersey barrier came later). Even one-way service roads won't prevent expensive eminent domain buyouts and lawsuits there...

capt.ron

Update on the progress: From exit 16 to roughly 1.5 miles into Pulaski County, the left southbound lane has been milled down and it's nice and smooth. Most of the work is occurring at night so be very careful going through the area. Meanwhile on the Main St and Redmond Rd. bridge areas, work has begun on the new bridges, and a new on ramp from Redmond Rd to southbound 67 is being built. Luckily for me, I don't work in the LR area so I come through the area every once in a while. 

bugo

Temporary I-140? (Or just go ahead and sign it as I-30.)

Road Hog

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.