News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Big Bend National Park

Started by BigMattFromTexas, June 07, 2009, 10:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Has any one ever been to this park? I just got back today (6/7/09). MAN!!! This National Park is 100% AWESOME if you haven't been there you sould come sometime (of corse not if you hate hiking or anything). The Window is AWESOME, Emory Peak(7,825) is a tough hike but it is SO worth it, Dead Man's Lunch is an amazing view, i swam in the Rio Grande (but didn't cross to Mexico), Santa Elena Canyon is AWSOME, theres a (secret) waterfall called Cattail Falls it is beautiful, and on a road to Rio Grande Villiage we went through a COOL tunnel, My group originaly camped in the middle of the wilderness, then we moved to the basin(toilets, running water, bear lockers) and most of all when we were there a youth group of 19 girls was not to far from us, we all played a big game of capture the flag it was awesome. The hike up Emory Peak was a killer and it started raining so we had to camp at a empty campsite that night, but the next day we made it all the way up the mountain. Grapevine Hills is AMAZING, there are all these boulders to climb on it's awesome
So if you want to go to Big Bend you MUST be prepare for it!!! anywhere you go there will be a hike to where you go.
BigMatt

agentsteel53

drove through there in Dec '06 on RR170 - excellent place!

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

SSOWorld

No run-ins with drug wars or anything of the like? :hmm:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: Master son on June 08, 2009, 10:02:54 AM
No run-ins with drug wars or anything of the like? :hmm:
No the Mexican cliffs are at least 5,000 feet above the Rio Grande

I can't wait to go back

hm insulators

An interesting account of a trip to Big Bend National Park is found in the book Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times by Neil Peart (yes, that Neil Peart, drummer for the band Rush). He writes about a trip he took from Los Angeles to Big Bend in a BMW Z-8 and the music he listens to while driving. Interspersed within are anecdotes about when he was growing up and the music he listened to and played, stories about touring with Rush and even an account of a bicycle trip he took to Africa. Even if you're not a Rush fan, this book is a must-read, especially if you love music as much as roads.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.