News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is there a reason the Mass Transit board is only visible to members?

Started by getemngo, April 19, 2014, 11:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getemngo

The most minor of complaints. I don't know how I noticed that, and it hardly has any bearing on anything, but it's weird. I can't think of a good reason why it should be that way.

(Actually, my tablet doesn't like to keep me logged in, and I generally don't care to take the effort to log in when checking the site unless I decide to make a post. So it does affect me a bit.)
~ Sam from Michigan

vdeane

Because then transit enthusiasts with no interest in roads might join.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Quote from: vdeane on April 19, 2014, 11:49:47 AM
Because then transit enthusiasts with no interest in roads might join.

Same with Fictional Highways. It's not like there are members that joined just to post in that forum...

Wait a minute, there are!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

Quote from: Zeffy on April 19, 2014, 11:50:58 AM
Same with Fictional Highways. It's not like there are members that joined just to post in that forum...

Wait a minute, there are!

Yup. :P I think there's more than one, but I can't quite remember any of the others.

getemngo

Oh. Duh. I knew that was the reason for Fictional Highways, but somehow it didn't click with Mass Transit. I figured some administrator checked the wrong box when they created the board. :pan:

Can't find any others hidden to non-members. I'm surprised Sports isn't... though if you can't find a busier place to talk about sports, you must suck at Google.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

This is not exactly a hotbed of sports discussion. I'm among the most sports-oriented, in that I follow teams in all five major sports.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2014, 12:14:39 AM
This is not exactly a hotbed of sports discussion. I'm among the most sports-oriented, in that I follow teams in all five major sports.

I will refrain from questioning on the technicality that the soccer league did put the word "major" in there from the get-go. 

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 20, 2014, 09:19:59 AM

Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2014, 12:14:39 AM

I will refrain from questioning on the technicality that the soccer league did put the word "major" in there from the get-go. 
So did lacrosse. But soccer has been a major world sport for decades, even if it's slow to catch on here.

Scott5114

Zeffy is exactly right in the rationale behind hiding the fictional and mass transit boards. Those are meant to be extra content for those who sign up to discuss the main topics of the board. ("Oh, cool, I signed up to talk about the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but now I can talk about transit too.")

Additionally, with the mass transit board, there was a concern that having it publicly visible might attract a large number of transit-only posters, which could spill out into the road boards and try to ignite a roads-vs-transit debate on every thread having to do with roads. That's a discussion that is worth having, but having it on a forum that is built specifically to discuss roads and road projects is more likely to be disruptive than anything else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: getemngo on April 19, 2014, 11:47:54 AMThe most minor of complaints. I don't know how I noticed that, and it hardly has any bearing on anything, but it's weird. I can't think of a good reason why it should be that way.

I can--besides the reasons already cited, some of us veterans bear scars from misc.transport.urban-transit crossposts.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 26, 2014, 10:50:47 AM
Quote from: getemngo on April 19, 2014, 11:47:54 AMThe most minor of complaints. I don't know how I noticed that, and it hardly has any bearing on anything, but it's weird. I can't think of a good reason why it should be that way.

I can--besides the reasons already cited, some of us veterans bear scars from misc.transport.urban-transit crossposts.

Ugh.  Thanks for reminding me.  :ded:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.