News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stars Next to our Names

Started by JoePCool14, February 18, 2014, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

NE2

They mean you're looking at the screen sideways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JoePCool14

Yes, that is totally what they mean  :rolleyes:

hotdogPi

You get a yellow star at 25, 50, 75, 100, and 200 posts.

At 500 posts, the 5 yellow stars get replaced with a blue star.

You get another blue star at 1000, 1500, 3000, and 5000 posts.

Regional moderator is 1 red star, global moderator is 3 red stars, and admin is 5 red stars.

DOT employee = 1 green star, and agentsteel53 has 2 green stars.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

sammi

To expand more, because I got curious myself and dug into the SMF docs.

The forum software puts us into membergroups. There are two kinds, the standard group and the post-based group.

(AARoads specific)
The post-based membergroups are:
0 - Trail
25 - Side Road ()
50 - Arterial ()
75 - Viaduct ()
100 - Trafficway ()
200 - County Route ()
500 - State Highway ()
1000 - Expressway ()
1500 - Turnpike ()
3000 - Freeway ()
5000 - Interstate ()

And then the standard membergroups:
Member (which the rest of us are in and is unlabeled)
Regional Moderator ()
Global Moderator ()
Admin ()
DOT Employee ()
Site Contributor* ()

Molandfreak

Formerly, there was also State Property ()
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

JoePCool14

I only have 101 posts?? I have over 200!

Alps

Duke87

So here's a question: why is regional mod one bronze star but global mod then three? Is there some theoretical intermediate status which would have two bronze stars that this forum does not use?

And another: we know there is a post-based rank beyond "Interstate" but the only person who has it is a site contributor and thus does not have post-based stars. If someone were to reach that rank without earning any bronze or green star status, what would their stars look like? Still just five blue stars? One star of some other color?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Zeffy

Quote from: sammi on February 18, 2014, 09:45:51 PM
To expand more, because I got curious myself and dug into the SMF docs.

This sort of thing has been around for awhile now. I believe the old Invision Power Board 1.3 (you know, the old Invisionfree software if you were around for that sort of thing), PHPBB2, vBulletin 3.0+, Ikonboard, etc. all had member ranks.

It's just a bulletin board feature, to group members based on how much they post. Or in special cases,  they are used to denote the position of power the user has. But a lot of the times, instead of stars, images are used that are designed especially for that position.

Speaking of which, I made a few ranking images for the higher-ups on AARoads. If any of the staff wants to see them and possibly apply them to the forum (because stars are boring) just send me a PM.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2014, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 18, 2014, 10:04:13 PM
I only have 101 posts?? I have over 200!
It is not a contest.

Oh sure it is.  And right now, Jake is winning.  He likes the forum way, way too much.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

These post counts also correspond with the color of your name on the "currently online" and "online today" lists on the main page.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

hbelkins

Quality beats quantity any day of the week. Except in Alanland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on February 18, 2014, 11:42:35 PM
So here's a question: why is regional mod one bronze star but global mod then three? Is there some theoretical intermediate status which would have two bronze stars that this forum does not use?

And another: we know there is a post-based rank beyond "Interstate" but the only person who has it is a site contributor and thus does not have post-based stars. If someone were to reach that rank without earning any bronze or green star status, what would their stars look like? Still just five blue stars? One star of some other color?
We could assign any number of any color of stars. So we just decided that there was no need for a 2-bronze or 4-bronze status. Similarly, there's nothing above 2 green stars.
As for the latter question, I would snarkily say "find out!", but here's a hint: The color doesn't change for the next rank, but the number does.
Here's another hint: That's not the last rank.

froggie

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 18, 2014, 10:00:19 PM
Formerly, there was also State Property ()

Theoretically, this one should be reinstated and applied to me for the next 4 months...

oscar

Something related, for those who really want to be competitive, you can always compare your time spent on this forum to those of other users. Thankfully, you have to dig a little for it. I'm actually alarmed by my own number (which I try to minimize, but sometimes I forget to jump off the forum before going to bed), which suggests I need to get a life :(
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Zeffy

Quote from: oscar on February 19, 2014, 05:58:40 PM
Something related, for those who really want to be competitive, you can always compare your time spent on this forum to those of other users. Thankfully, you have to dig a little for it. I'm actually alarmed by my own number (which I try to minimize, but sometimes I forget to jump off the forum before going to bed), which suggests I need to get a life :(

9d 5h 28m at the time of this post. I have a feeling that this is a little high...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on February 19, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: oscar on February 19, 2014, 05:58:40 PM

9d 5h 28m at the time of this post. I have a feeling that this is a little high...
Considering I'm at 33 days with over 7x your # of posts - and I read EVERY post just about every day - maybe.

NE2

It can't be an exact number, since the forum software has no way of knowing how much time you actually spend reading, when you take breaks, etc.

PS: 77 days here.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

The time recorded function times out eventually, so if you leave the forum on for 12 hours and do nothing, it does not register 12 hours of time logged on.

How the hell that MightyAce guy had his time so high is beyond me though.

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on February 19, 2014, 07:01:17 PM
It can't be an exact number, since the forum software has no way of knowing how much time you actually spend reading, when you take breaks, etc.

PS: 77 days here.

It apparently can tell when you've switched to some other website, or shut down your browser or computer (even without logging out).  Right?

77 days, 8900+ posts.  You're a more efficient poster than I am.  Steve does even better, almost as many posts in less than half the time (and as an admin, he reads most every post, which I definitely don't).  Good for you both.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hotdogPi

I believe the cutoff is 15 minutes.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Jardine

Any special star (or whatever) for reaching a certain number of posts in Alanland ??

:wow:

Or maybe a star is or isn't awarded ?

:eyebrow:

Duke87

Quote from: 1 on February 19, 2014, 10:04:19 PM
I believe the cutoff is 15 minutes.

Yep, 15 minutes.

Furthermore, if you stay on a single page for more than 15 minutes, it does not give you 15 minutes of logged in time. It gives you 0 minutes of logged in time. You go over the limit, you lose it all.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.