Dark theme for the forums?

Started by Zeffy, March 26, 2021, 09:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: formulanone on March 26, 2021, 04:47:26 PM
I just modified the .css file, but there's no way to use one post to display it, since it's over 25,000 characters.

That particular design reminds me of how the forum looked with the original theme.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

IF we were to add another theme here before SMF 2.1, just remember, I have to manually make fixes to the themes whenever I patch a mod we use, or SMF pushes an update on the 2.0.x branch most of the time.  So we have to be careful with what is done.  Just wanted to put this out there.

froggie

For the record, I'm one of the two people using the Core theme because for my eyes it's easier to read than the button copy theme.

I would also be interested in some sort of dark theme, but I can wait until SMF 2.1 if James thinks it would be better to do so.

JoePCool14

I'm still waiting for a forced Clearview theme to make a comeback. :biggrin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

This would've been my idea for a dark theme.

"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

JoePCool14

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on March 28, 2021, 09:53:28 PM

Doesn't really seem all that dark, and the blue doesn't really match the feel of AARoads. It's better than pure white, but what Dark Reader can produce is much better. For reference, this is what the forum looks like when using Dark Reader since I don't think anyone's posted a screenshot of it so far.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 28, 2021, 10:41:00 PM

Doesn't really seem all that dark, and the blue doesn't really match the feel of AARoads. It's better than pure white, but what Dark Reader can produce is much better. For reference, this is what the forum looks like when using Dark Reader since I don't think anyone's posted a screenshot of it so far.

What exactly are the objective criteria for "the feel of AARoads"?
"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

interstatefan990

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 28, 2021, 10:41:00 PM

Oh, I really like that.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on March 28, 2021, 10:44:19 PM

Something that resembles roads in some form. The BGS theming is pretty cool and makes sense. Light blue isn't really a road-related color. That's my subjective opinion though.

Scott5114

When I designed the existing forum theme, the design objective was to create a user interface that evoked the subject matter of the forum (roads, primarily in the US) by using the existing design language of the U.S. road system (that is, the MUTCD) as much as possible. So the "quote" and "edit post" buttons are blue squares, evoking blue square services signage, the "NEW!" icon that shows up on topics with new posts is a modification of the "NEW" banner in the MUTCD, and so on. The grey bar at the top of each page (and above the Quick Reply box) has a pavement-like texture. And of course, the primary color is green, because that's the color of guide signage.

Since the subject matter of the forums hasn't changed, I see no reason why the design language of the forum should either. So a dark version of the forum theme would ideally stick to the same principles, but just use darker greens and greys where appropriate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Eh, Dark reader helps a little bit but I don't really like it.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 28, 2021, 10:56:09 PM

When I designed the existing forum theme, the design objective was to create a user interface that evoked the subject matter of the forum (roads, primarily in the US) by using the existing design language of the U.S. road system (that is, the MUTCD) as much as possible. So the "quote" and "edit post" buttons are blue squares, evoking blue square services signage, the "NEW!" icon that shows up on topics with new posts is a modification of the "NEW" banner in the MUTCD, and so on. The grey bar at the top of each page (and above the Quick Reply box) has a pavement-like texture. And of course, the primary color is green, because that's the color of guide signage.

Since the subject matter of the forums hasn't changed, I see no reason why the design language of the forum should either. So a dark version of the forum theme would ideally stick to the same principles, but just use darker greens and greys where appropriate.

Or you could do a black and yellow theme, resembling asphalt and paint. (buttons resemble warning signage, maybe?)

formulanone

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on March 29, 2021, 07:11:46 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 28, 2021, 10:56:09 PM

Or you could do a black and yellow theme, resembling asphalt and paint. (buttons resemble warning signage, maybe?)

That's sort of what I went for, a "Night Driver" scenario, with a mix of the MUTCD colors for warning and construction. Soon I found a few colors need some desaturation against the dark backgrounds. Personally, I'm not a dark-theme expert, nor a big fan of using black/dark backgrounds with lots of text, so I might be way off! There's also a few mismatches because sometimes you just say "hey, what does this do?" and can't see what that is until you change to a different type of page (profile, messages, forum items outside one's defaults, et al).

In my opinion, the stylesheet is a bit over-complicated, but that also allows for super-fine customization.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 26, 2021, 08:43:43 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2021, 08:22:26 PM
Bonus points if you somehow manage to make it look like Price is Right season 1.

Can't see the image, and I can't pinpoint why. I opened it on my computer and phone and nothing.

It's because the URL has extra junk after the .jpg file extension.

Does this display for you?

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 30, 2021, 11:13:49 AM

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 11:12:53 AM
It's because the URL has extra junk after the .jpg file extension.  If you get rid of the junk, then it doesn't render either, though.  Stupid Wikia Fandom...

It works for me after removing the junk. It's the https issue again.

Fixed.  I had an extra character left over.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.