News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Hands down.... the Brookfield Floating Bridge on VT 65 (a dirt road), in the fall of 2005:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LdJssxlEuTQ/TB7R7PnavxI/AAAAAAAAK4g/Gk3N6Fl3BqM/s512/VT%2065%20Brookfield%20%284%29.jpg

It was definetely a little scary to drive over, especially when you got to one end and it sunk down and the bridge was covered in water. 

Some brief info about it here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Lake_Floating_Bridge
It's been closed since the fall of 2008, so VT 65 is a state route with a gap in the middle, and no easy way around it!

D-Dey65

The Williamsburg Bridge.
The Millard E. Tydings Memorial Bridge.
The Suffolk County Road 16 Bridge over Long Island Avenue and the Main Line of the Long Island Railroad.

florida

So many roads...so little time.

Dougtone

Quote from: florida on June 25, 2010, 01:20:37 PM
The Outerbridge Crossing, in a van.

The Outerbridge Crossing is scary driving any vehicle, and especially scary when passing other vehicles.  Fortunately, I don't have much reason to drive to Staten Island.

Dougtone

The Pond Eddy Bridge connecting NY with PA may be the scariest bridge that I've driven over. 

florida

Quote from: Dougtone on June 27, 2010, 07:51:02 AM
Quote from: florida on June 25, 2010, 01:20:37 PM
The Outerbridge Crossing, in a van.

The Outerbridge Crossing is scary driving any vehicle, and especially scary when passing other vehicles.  Fortunately, I don't have much reason to drive to Staten Island.

There isn't much reason to go there, period ;) We were driving up to NYC and staying with a friend on the Island. Next time that happens, hopefully the Goethals bridge is re-done by then.
So many roads...so little time.

golden eagle

There used to be a very steep wooden bridge in Edwards, MS, that was recently replaced with a concrete bridge. Still scary because of the steepness. There's a bridge in Vicksburg that's similar to it.

bugo

This one is not scary because of design or condition, but because of history.  It partially collapsed after being hit by a barge in 2002, killing 14.  It's impossible to cross the bridge without thinking of the disaster.

Scott5114

I'm kind of surprised ODOT hasn't put up any signage noting the incident. Carrie Underwood gets a sign in Checotah though. :-/
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

here in San Diego, we get Danielle Van Dam, who makes our usual dam jokes seem like the ultimate in cosmic importance. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2010, 12:38:41 AM
I'm kind of surprised ODOT hasn't put up any signage noting the incident. Carrie Underwood gets a sign in Checotah though. :-/

A sign like that would just scare motorists.  No reason to get some idiot slamming on their brakes because they are suddenly afraid of crossing the bridge.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Bickendan on June 17, 2010, 07:05:37 PM
Hmm, the most unnerving bridge I've been on was walking my bike across the southbound span of the Interstate Bridge from Vancouver to Portland, but it's not in any structural danger. The Sellwood Bridge gets that honor.

The 7th St Bridge between Oregon City and West Linn, however, is unnerving because how narrow it is.
I biked full speed on that bridge, and it probably wasn't the smartest thing I did considering how narrow the bike path is (particularly on the older span). 

The Sellwood Bridge is actually pretty scary since it doesn't even look safe. 
Take the road less traveled.

BigMattFromTexas

Pecos River Bridge which carries US 90 over the Pecos River. Not like a swaying issue, just the fact that you're over a huge canyon.
BigMatt

Alex

The first time I rode across the Huey P. Long and the original Rigolets Bridges were a bit harrowing. The original Rigolets Bridge is gone now and on many trips on the Huey P. Long since then, I did not experience any trepidation.

Sykotyk

Royal Gorge Bridge (although not on a 'real' road, it's a little harry driving over it in a car). As for interstates, Goethals, or I-70 over the Monongahela.

For US routes, US79 in Arkansas (through the wildlife preserve) is an old dilapidated structure. US12 in Mobridge, SD (although rehabbed)

Sykotyk

bugo

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 13, 2010, 11:04:06 PM
For US routes, US79 in Arkansas (through the wildlife preserve) is an old dilapidated structure.

Are you referring to the Clarendon bridge?

Marc

For me, it would have to be the Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans, LA:

Followed very closely by the Grace Memorial Bridge in Charleston, SC (demolished 2005):

Both are large bridges, but are VERY old and narrow!

froggie

Although Huey Long won't be narrow much longer...

english si

I've been over one or two, on the back of a motorbike, in the jungles of Borneo that was basically a plank of wood and two ropes to balance yourself. The drop was only about ten feet and the span wasn't much longer, but I seem to have blocked the memory.

Bickendan

I just drove across the Hawthorne Bridge on a scooter the other day. That was nerve wracking -- steel girder deck. Love the bridge, hate to wipe out on that.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Bickendan on July 24, 2010, 07:55:15 PM
I just drove across the Hawthorne Bridge on a scooter the other day. That was nerve wracking -- steel girder deck. Love the bridge, hate to wipe out on that.
The roadway is a little scary, since you can see underneath it, but it's pretty sturdy.  Also, the pedestrian path is paved.  Yeah, I've been stopped multiple times from the place I volunteered at in East Burnside to Powells.  I tend to have bad luck with Portland drawbridges.  :P 
Take the road less traveled.

rte66man

Would definitely agree about the I40 Arkansas River crossing, especially if you're westbound.

However, the scariest bridge I've ever been across doesn't exist anymore.  The US64 bridge from Webbers Falls to Gore across the Arkansas River was so narrow that you had traffic lights at each end because it was too narrow for 2-way traffic. Even then, it was VERY narrow and quite high. It was replaced in the 70's by the new US64/OK100 bridge.

The US70 bridge across the White River at DeValls Bluff was quite similarly scary. It too is not longer there.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Scariest Driven:
US 60/ 62 at Birds Point or maybe the US 49 Helena Bridge

Scariest Walked:
Chain of Rocks
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on September 08, 2010, 10:53:08 AM
Would definitely agree about the I40 Arkansas River crossing, especially if you're westbound.

However, the scariest bridge I've ever been across doesn't exist anymore.  The US64 bridge from Webbers Falls to Gore across the Arkansas River was so narrow that you had traffic lights at each end because it was too narrow for 2-way traffic. Even then, it was VERY narrow and quite high. It was replaced in the 70's by the new US64/OK100 bridge.

The US70 bridge across the White River at DeValls Bluff was quite similarly scary. It too is not longer there.

The DeValls Bluff bridge was open to two way traffic.  The concrete approach spans were narrow enough, but the steel trusses (with a steel grate floor) were even narrower.  I don't know that two trucks could have met at the same time.

I don't know why they even bothered to replace that bridge.  I-40 crosses the White River about 2 miles to the north, and that bridge carries very little traffic.  They wasted money and destroyed a historic span.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.