News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Thanksgiving Streetview Quiz

Started by english si, November 24, 2011, 07:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Hi guys, as a Brit who wishes he could celebrate Thanksgiving, I decided to make a little quiz. Below I have 5 streetview (cropped) screengrabs - work out where they are (1 point for a city, another for a more precise location), the theme that links them (worth 2 points) and the order they should be in (worth a bonus point). Answers by PM please so that everyone has a chance. I'll put answers up next Thursday.

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

Best of luck to you all and happy thanksgiving!

note to mods, I put the quiz here, as it seemed the best fit. Feel free to move it if you so desire.

mgk920

Quote from: english si on November 24, 2011, 07:33:22 AM
Hi guys, as a Brit who wishes he could celebrate Thanksgiving, I decided to make a little quiz. Below I have 5 streetview (cropped) screengrabs - work out where they are (1 point for a city, another for a more precise location), the theme that links them (worth 2 points) and the order they should be in (worth a bonus point). Answers by PM please so that everyone has a chance. I'll put answers up next Thursday.

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

Best of luck to you all and happy thanksgiving!

note to mods, I put the quiz here, as it seemed the best fit. Feel free to move it if you so desire.

Hmmm, the images are not showing...

Mike

agentsteel53

it looks like the Google Groups server you are using to host is not allowing hotlinking.  copying and pasting the URLS directly does work.

that said, I have no idea where any of those are.

(ps. what is preventing you from celebrating Thanksgiving?  get some friends and a turkey, and go to town!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

I need some people who actually know it's Thanksgiving, aren't tired or doing something else tonight, and can afford to have a big blowout meal, especially given the Turkey price has skyrocketed due to the Christmas demand, so that you are looking at $50 for a medium size bird.

I can see the pictures, but that's probably just me. I'll imageshack them.

A

B

C

D

E

Scores at the moment are:
Truvelo 4 (which is surprisingly low, compared to his usual skill at things like this)

If you get the theme, the actual pictures should be easy.

english si

Here are some hints.

Three of the images are drive-on-left. The theme has something to do with the Pilgrim Fathers and if you get it, it should be easy to work out where the pictures are (or at least what city they are from).

english si

The answers:
A Western Esplanade, Southampton, Hants
B North Embankment, Dartmouth, Devon
C Outside the Pilgrim Hall Museum, Court Street, Plymouth, MA
D Hoo Road, Plymouth, Devon - I could have gone for Mayflower Street, but it's not near the waterfront.
E Pelgrimsstraat, Delfshaven, nr Rotterdam

The theme was the route of the Pilgrim Fathers across the Ocean: they got on the Speedwell at Delfshaven (as they had originally fled to Holland), sailed to Southampton, picked up the Mayflower and some more pilgrims (at roughly the spot I had) and sailed for the New World. The Speedwell's crew wasn't happy about crossing an Ocean, so drilled a hole in the boat. Both boats then had to stop at Dartmouth to let the Speedwell be repaired. They set off again, but the Speedwell's crew did it again, so they stopped at Plymouth, moved all the pilgrims onto the Mayflower and set off, landing at Plymouth, MA.

Thus the correct order would be E, A, B, D, C.

The final scores are the same as above.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.