I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

I found out recently that a friend of mine's girlfriend recently started working with one of the firms that is among the three finalists for the design-build contract for the I-265 east end bridge.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mukade

Wow. What part of the project is this? I never heard that they awarded a contract to any of the four consortiums. Anyway, I guess the project is officially kicked off.

Construction Begins On Bridge To Connect Indiana, Kentucky (Indiana Public Media)

hbelkins

Approach construction on the Hoosier side, I think.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on August 30, 2012, 07:33:33 PM
Wow. What part of the project is this? I never heard that they awarded a contract to any of the four consortiums. Anyway, I guess the project is officially kicked off.

Construction Begins On Bridge To Connect Indiana, Kentucky (Indiana Public Media)

The first exit north of the new bridge will be at Old Salem Road, which needs to be extended/upgraded to handle the traffic. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ShawnP

Only 43 years in the making. Would have been shorter but many Kentucky Governors didn't want it. The River Fields opposition was very politically connected all the way to the Governor's. Only the sheer force of will finally moved Kentucky. Indiana has been ready to go since 05 with actual money. Tolls will be a pain but a necessary one at this time. 

mukade

The potential developer's stance seems to use some tortured logic to me. I guess allowing this sort of action helps explain why there is no east-end bridge after all these years.

Controversial subdivision would be in path of bridge (Courier-Journal)

Henry

Quote from: ljwestmcsd on July 26, 2012, 09:43:44 PM
Here's another article regarding the demolition work in downtown Louisville, complete with a map:

http://brokensidewalk.com/2012/07/24/twelve-lane-highway-gets-started-with-ceremonial-wrecking-of-downtown/

Seeing that there were lots of historic buildings in the area, I can imagine how much opposition to the project there was. Which makes it even sadder to know that they are now gone.

Quote from: ShawnP on June 04, 2012, 10:58:25 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 01, 2012, 07:12:37 AM
Quote from: ShawnP on May 30, 2012, 08:52:07 PM
I have seen a bid up for demolition work.

Demolition of what?
Hopefully Bobby Knight's house.
That's so funny!  :rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on September 12, 2012, 02:41:06 PM
Here's another article regarding the demolition work in downtown Louisville, complete with a map:

http://brokensidewalk.com/2012/07/24/twelve-lane-highway-gets-started-with-ceremonial-wrecking-of-downtown/

Seeing that there were lots of historic buildings in the area, I can imagine how much opposition to the project there was. Which makes it even sadder to know that they are now gone.

Those "historic" buildings are in a very run down area that nobody gave a damn about until people discovered that they could be used as ammunition against the bridges project.

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 12, 2012, 03:10:26 PM

Those "historic" buildings are in a very run down area that nobody gave a damn about until people discovered that they could be used as ammunition against the bridges project.

That's what I've heard, as well, even though I still think the second downtown bridge is a colossal waste of money.

I just spent three nights on the other side of the river from you, and actually got my dinner in Hoosier country last night (the Five Guys on State Street in New Albany.) Got there via I-64 and I-265 and noticed that the button copy on the Sherman Minton Bridge's upper deck is gone, and looks like some other signs have been replaced on I-64 and I-265. Went back to the hotel (Galt House) via I-265, I-65 and US 31 (Clark Bridge). Also saw where the temporary pavement markings to make the ramp from 265 to southbound 65 two lanes during the Sherman Minton closure had been removed.

Henry

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2012, 11:31:25 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 12, 2012, 03:10:26 PM

That's what I've heard, as well, even though I still think the second downtown bridge is a colossal waste of money.

I just spent three nights on the other side of the river from you, and actually got my dinner in Hoosier country last night (the Five Guys on State Street in New Albany.) Got there via I-64 and I-265 and noticed that the button copy on the Sherman Minton Bridge's upper deck is gone, and looks like some other signs have been replaced on I-64 and I-265. Went back to the hotel (Galt House) via I-265, I-65 and US 31 (Clark Bridge). Also saw where the temporary pavement markings to make the ramp from 265 to southbound 65 two lanes during the Sherman Minton closure had been removed.
Still, these old buildings could have undergone some sort of rehabilitation, like other large cities have done. The highway itself could still be widened, but it would have to be relocated in either a trench or Big Dig-style tunnel underneath downtown.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tdindy88

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2012, 11:31:25 PM

I was in that area last Spring and saw that basically all the pavement markings and such were returned to normal as it was before the bridge closure (some of those ramps weren't built for two lanes of traffic after all.) Saw too that all the button copy on I-64 (all the way west to Perry County where some still remains) was gone and I remember the signs on the Sherman Minton Bridge, those were ancient (to me at least.)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2012, 09:26:48 PM

Could you find a more biased source?

Wait till the "8664" idiots chime in, and then you will.  :bigass:

NE2

Mods: is there a reason HB can call the 8664 guys idiots but I can't respond in kind?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 15, 2012, 11:03:26 PM
Mods: is there a reason HB can call the 8664 guys idiots but I can't respond in kind?
HB is attacking a group, and you were responding with a personal attack.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on September 16, 2012, 02:54:22 AM
Quote from: NE2 on September 15, 2012, 11:03:26 PM
HB is attacking a group, and you were responding with a personal attack.
I believe I said "the anti-8664 idiots".

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Y'know ... at least I marginally have to deal with the traffic situation in Louisville, as I go there occasionally. I know what a cluster-foxtrot tearing out I-64 would cause because I heard the horror stories about the Sherman Minton closure earlier this year. I think 86-ing I-64 is a really stupid -- idiotic, even -- idea.

I question the leadership and the decisions of the Transportation Cabinet at times but they'll never go for this stupid idea.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2012, 12:32:44 PM
I know what a cluster-foxtrot tearing out I-64 would cause because I heard the horror stories about the Sherman Minton closure earlier this year.
One closure has nothing to do with the other, despite what anti-8664 idiots may think.

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on September 16, 2012, 12:50:03 PM
I know what a cluster-foxtrot tearing out I-64 would cause because I heard the horror stories about the Sherman Minton closure earlier this year.
One closure has nothing to do with the other, despite what anti-8664 idiots may think.

So tell me, o combative Floridian, why do you want I-64 removed from Louisville?

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2012, 01:21:26 PM

So tell me, o combative Floridian, why do you want I-64 removed from Louisville?

It's part of Obama's plan to make us into China.

Alps

I-264 would require significant improvements to carry I-64 through traffic. The only other mildly viable option is completing the I-265 connection to the northeast and designating I-64 around there. Traffic numbers need to be studied on the entire network for viability now and in 30 years before removing I-64 can be properly called an option. Otherwise, it's pipe dreaming by 8664 idiots.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on September 17, 2012, 07:23:22 PM
The only other mildly viable option is completing the I-265 connection to the northeast and designating I-64 around there.
Duh? That's what 8664 proposes...

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 17, 2012, 09:47:00 PM
The only other mildly viable option is completing the I-265 connection to the northeast and designating I-64 around there.
I tend to not read the rantings of idiots. My bad.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on September 17, 2012, 11:22:21 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 17, 2012, 09:47:00 PM
I tend to not read the rantings of idiots. My bad.

I have read their propaganda, although not for a long while. It was always interesting watching the battling between competing groups (8664 vs. River Fields) with both (in my opinion) in the wrong.

I've seen how I-64 traffic can come to a standstill during busy times. Got a good view of it out the western side of the Galt House last week, in fact. If that happens on a free-flowing interstate, imagine how bad it would be on a surface boulevard with traffic lights.

NWI_Irish96

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20121108/BUSINESS/311080056/ohio-river-bridges-project?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home&nclick_check=1

A federal judge has denied a request by a group opposing the Ohio River Bridges Project that would have halted work on the two-bridge plan.

U.S. District Judge John B. Heyburn II ruled Thursday that the public and the parties involved in a lawsuit over the project will be best served by a final decision "on all issues based upon a full administrative record. Such a result will occur in due course."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.