News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: chays on July 27, 2020, 12:09:55 AM
Any word on if/when the exction between I-65 and I-71 will be signed as I-265?
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27242.0

It was postulated in the Beltway Mileage Clockwise vs Counterclockwise thread, that KYTC will probably add I-265 signage for the North/West Direction at the I-71/I-265 Interchange as that interchange is scheduled to be reconstructed

I hope they not only add I-265 signage, but KYTC finally gives the Synder proper Control Cities. Now that it crosses the Ohio, it functions both as a true beltway and a suburban connector. Without the Ohio River Bridge, without Controls was fine, as it was basically a suburban connector freeway

chays

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 27, 2020, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: chays on July 27, 2020, 12:09:55 AM
Any word on if/when the exction between I-65 and I-71 will be signed as I-265?
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27242.0

It was postulated in the Beltway Mileage Clockwise vs Counterclockwise thread, that KYTC will probably add I-265 signage for the North/West Direction at the I-71/I-265 Interchange as that interchange is scheduled to be reconstructed

I hope they not only add I-265 signage, but KYTC finally gives the Synder proper Control Cities. Now that it crosses the Ohio, it functions both as a true beltway and a suburban connector. Without the Ohio River Bridge, without Controls was fine, as it was basically a suburban connector freeway
Thank you for the update!

someone17

Anyway, why is I-265 past the interchange with I-65 still signed as SR 265? Also, by exit 11 on I/SR-265, in Utica, there's supposed to be an "interchange" where River Ridge Pkwy splits with another road that hasn't been built yet.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: someone17 on August 23, 2020, 08:49:31 AM
Anyway, why is I-265 past the interchange with I-65 still signed as SR 265? Also, by exit 11 on I/SR-265, in Utica, there's supposed to be an "interchange" where River Ridge Pkwy splits with another road that hasn't been built yet.

It's up to INDOT and KYDOT to change the signage between I-65 and I-71, no idea why they haven't done yet.

As for the River Ridge interchange, that entire area north of 265 is an old munitions depot that is being redeveloped. The parts along IN 62 got developed first and that section where that interchange is will be future development.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

If anyone is so inclined, they can email KYTC.District5info@ky.gov to ask when the I-265 signage will be installed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CardInLex

The new C/D ramps at I-265 and I-71 opened late last night! The I-Move project is moving ahead at a crazy speed. I hope this style design/build project happens for future projects.

Edit: I hope the signs are permanent. Northbound is still identified as KY 841 and not I-265. Hopefully as the project progresses, the signs will be corrected.

Edit edit: I hope the signs aren't permanent.

cl94

I would assume that the renumber just isn't a high priority item for either INDOT or KYTC. New signs cost money and the I-designation means less with how people tend to navigate by GPS nowadays. The renumber became official in 2019, so it's not like they're just waiting on AASHTO approval to change out signs.

Quote from: CardInLex on January 03, 2021, 08:47:00 AM
Edit: I hope the signs are permanent. Northbound is still identified as KY 841 and not I-265. Hopefully as the project progresses, the signs will be corrected.

This is the item that raises question marks. The 71/265 rebuild would be the logical time to renumber on the KY side because they're already changing out the signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on January 04, 2021, 11:07:53 PM
I would assume that the renumber just isn't a high priority item for either INDOT or KYTC. New signs cost money and the I-designation means less with how people tend to navigate by GPS nowadays. The renumber became official in 2019, so it's not like they're just waiting on AASHTO approval to change out signs.

This is the item that raises question marks. The 71/265 rebuild would be the logical time to renumber on the KY side because they're already changing out the signs.

If anyone is truly concerned, they can email kytc.district5info@ky.gov to pose the question, and post the answer here.

GreenLanternCorps

How long does it take for Riverlink to send you a bill for crossing the bridge?

I finally crossed it Westbound on a foggy day the weekend before Thanksgiving and still have not gotten a bill...

I-55

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on May 04, 2021, 07:25:10 AM

I finally crossed it Westbound on a foggy day the weekend before Thanksgiving and still have not gotten a bill...

It took me a few months before I received my first invoice, also I think they wait for you to cross twice before sending a bill in the mail (the wisdom being that if you cross once you'll eventually cross back and they want to save money on the snail mail).
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

mvak36

I am not sure if you have to wait for them to send the bill, but I saw that they have a Pay By Plate option (I am not sure if it will work or not. I just saw it on their site).
https://riverlink.com/RiverLink.External/Login?ReturnUrl=%2FRiverLink.External%2FAccount%2FAccountSummary.aspx

EDIT: I guess I should read a little closer. :pan:
QuoteTo pay a toll: Use "Pay by Invoice" if you have received an invoice or "Pay by Plate" if you have not.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

chays

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2021, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 04, 2021, 11:07:53 PM

If anyone is truly concerned, they can email kytc.district5info@ky.gov to pose the question, and post the answer here.

I did just that and this was the response:
QuoteKYTC has communicated with FHWA regarding the change and have not heard back from them.

hbelkins

^^^

I was in a room just two weeks ago with practically all of FHWA's Kentucky Division staff (the assistant director is a college classmate of my boss' and she seems to like my work) and could have mentioned this if I'd known.

dvferyance

Quote from: I-55 on May 04, 2021, 12:01:55 PM

It took me a few months before I received my first invoice, also I think they wait for you to cross twice before sending a bill in the mail (the wisdom being that if you cross once you'll eventually cross back and they want to save money on the snail mail).
Many of my recent trips involves very little backtracking. You can be an out of state driver and only cross it once.

NWI_Irish96

I just want to say that our system is very broken if it takes this long for this to get signed as I-265. There needs to be a better process between AASHTO, FHWA and state DOTs.

74/171FAN

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 27, 2022, 08:27:40 AM
I just want to say that our system is very broken if it takes this long for this to get signed as I-265. There needs to be a better process between AASHTO, FHWA and state DOTs.

You may want to get NC involved in those discussions.   :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

I'm going to find out what the holdup is through official channels. Someone remind me in a week or so to report my findings if I have failed to do so in this thread by that time.

silverback1065

won't they have to renumber the exits too when they rename this section 265?  :hmmm: Whole loop has 1 consistent set of numbers?

wdcrft63

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 27, 2022, 08:56:09 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 27, 2022, 08:27:40 AM

You may want to get NC involved in those discussions.   :-D
NC is certainly not perfect, but when I-885 opened it had correct signage and exit numbers.

ilpt4u

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 27, 2022, 07:50:19 PM
won't they have to renumber the exits too when they rename this section 265?  :hmmm: Whole loop has 1 consistent set of numbers?
There is precedent for both a single set of mileage/exits for multi-state 3DIs and mileage/exits resetting at the state line. Saint Louis alone, 270 resets at the MS River while 255 is continuous across the River

For 265, both sides count "up"  to the state line over the Ohio River near the Indiana shore

I think it would make more sense for InDOT to continue KYTC's mileage and numbering, but I don't think it is a requirement for the I-shield

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 27, 2022, 09:21:20 PM
There is precedent for both a single set of mileage/exits for multi-state 3DIs and mileage/exits resetting at the state line. Saint Louis alone, 270 resets at the MS River while 255 is continuous across the River

For 265, both sides count "up"  to the state line over the Ohio River near the Indiana shore

I think it would make more sense for InDOT to continue KYTC's mileage and numbering, but I don't think it is a requirement for the I-shield

INDOT should renumber all of them except for 7. Keep 7 the same.

ilpt4u

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 27, 2022, 10:14:46 PM

If InDOT renumbered based on KYTC's numbering scheme for the Gene Snyder, "Exit 7"  for I-65/IN would be wildly out of place, as that should be somewhere in the 40s, I would think

silverback1065

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 27, 2022, 10:14:46 PM

is 7 your favorite exit?  :-D

hbelkins

OK, I got an answer.

QuoteThe Kentucky Transportation Cabinet submitted a request to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in May 2022 for KY 841 to be designated as Interstate 265. The corridor meets interstate design standards. The request is still under consideration and KYTC and INDOT are coordinating to ensure consistent signage between the states.

But there's more to the story:

QuoteThere are a couple of obstacles that must be overcome. In Indiana, the mileposts run in the wrong direction to join up with I-265 in Kentucky. Additionally, FHWA has included a requirement for Kentucky to commit to renumbering I-265 in order to have I-265 start at I-65 with a 0.0 milepost. KYTC is considering this request comparing the cost to resign and the economic impact of those along the corridor (recognizing advertising costs relating to changing exit numbers). KYTC is coordinating with Indiana and FHWA on the request and FHWA's requests. Indiana has a project in the works to rework its signage.

So basically, Indiana will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at the state line and running west to I-64. And Kentucky will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at I-65. (Currently, mileposting and exit numbers start at the west end of KY 841 at US 31W/US 60.)

I think it would make sense to number the KY 841 standalone section between US 31W/60 and I-65 as I-265 since Dixie Highway is on the NHS.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2022, 02:31:17 PM
OK, I got an answer.

QuoteThe Kentucky Transportation Cabinet submitted a request to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in May 2022 for KY 841 to be designated as Interstate 265. The corridor meets interstate design standards. The request is still under consideration and KYTC and INDOT are coordinating to ensure consistent signage between the states.

But there's more to the story:

QuoteThere are a couple of obstacles that must be overcome. In Indiana, the mileposts run in the wrong direction to join up with I-265 in Kentucky. Additionally, FHWA has included a requirement for Kentucky to commit to renumbering I-265 in order to have I-265 start at I-65 with a 0.0 milepost. KYTC is considering this request comparing the cost to resign and the economic impact of those along the corridor (recognizing advertising costs relating to changing exit numbers). KYTC is coordinating with Indiana and FHWA on the request and FHWA's requests. Indiana has a project in the works to rework its signage.

So basically, Indiana will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at the state line and running west to I-64. And Kentucky will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at I-65. (Currently, mileposting and exit numbers start at the west end of KY 841 at US 31W/US 60.)

I think it would make sense to number the KY 841 standalone section between US 31W/60 and I-65 as I-265 since Dixie Highway is on the NHS.
KY is just one letter from NY.  Who knew the states were so similar?  NY's been "considering the request" of mileage-based exit numbers for decades now.

In terms of stalling, KY has now adopted the methods of NY... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.