News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Quote from: mgk920 on June 06, 2022, 01:44:59 PM
I'd rather US 151 be rerouted to replace WI 23 east of Fond du Lac.  Reflag the north-south part of present day US 151 to restore it as WI 55 and turn back the east-west part east of WI 55 to the various counties.  Right now, I would NOT recommend that through big-rig trucks use US 151 between Chilton and WI 55, especially westbound.

Mike
Agree with this, but it would be nice to have a free-flowing connection if it does happen.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

The Ghostbuster

I believe that US 151 and STH 23 should remain on their existing alignments. STH 23 from Fond du Lac to Sheboygan has existed since the state highway system debuted in 1918 (the orignal western terminus was at STH 10, now US 51, in Packwaukee; US 151 from Fond du Lac to Manitowoc dates back to 1934, when 151 was extended, replacing STH 31 between those two cities. Therefore, mgk920's proposed reroutings are unnecessary. The only change I would make is to number all of the exits along STH 23 between Fond du Lac and Sheboygan.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 06, 2022, 06:16:41 PM
I believe that US 151 and STH 23 should remain on their existing alignments. STH 23 from Fond du Lac to Sheboygan has existed since the state highway system debuted in 1918 (the orignal western terminus was at STH 10, now US 51, in Packwaukee; US 151 from Fond du Lac to Manitowoc dates back to 1934, when 151 was extended, replacing STH 31 between those two cities. Therefore, mgk920's proposed reroutings are unnecessary. The only change I would make is to number all of the exits along STH 23 between Fond du Lac and Sheboygan.

Albeit could argue just have hwy 82 keep going east of I-39 instead of 23 and have hwy 23 end once it reaches I-39 east of the Dells. Not gonna happen but looking at a map without historical context having 82 continue one likely would have made more sense(albeit go way back and people would say that all should be hwy 71 lol).
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

GeekJedi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 17, 2022, 11:52:11 AM
Ditto.  This is part of the reason I think WIDOT should do more to discourage people from taking WI-26.

I vote to have the speed limit reduced to 45 and have the entire stretch patrolled by the Rosendale PD! :-D
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

hobsini2

Quote from: gr8daynegb on June 06, 2022, 07:27:28 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 06, 2022, 06:16:41 PM

Albeit could argue just have hwy 82 keep going east of I-39 instead of 23 and have hwy 23 end once it reaches I-39 east of the Dells. Not gonna happen but looking at a map without historical context having 82 continue one likely would have made more sense(albeit go way back and people would say that all should be hwy 71 lol).

I hate the fact that 23 goes both north-south and east-west. I am all for having the east-west section become Wis 82. I wish Wisconsin would have their numbers as an odd/even orientation but no grid needed.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Molandfreak

It would be a different story if it weren't a four-lane highway across the rest of Wisconsin. But 151 is a special case where a very significant amount of the road in both states is an expressway. That being the case, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't move it to the logical expressway it could continue on, rather than keep it on the random two-lane road to satisfy some history buffs. This is also the reason why it should be moved off the surface roads of Madison.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 07, 2022, 05:47:37 PM
It would be a different story if it weren't a four-lane highway across the rest of Wisconsin. But 151 is a special case where a very significant amount of the road in both states is an expressway. That being the case, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't move it to the logical expressway it could continue on, rather than keep it on the random two-lane road to satisfy some history buffs. This is also the reason why it should be moved off the surface roads of Madison.

I think it is quite different to move US-151 onto the Beltline and I-39/90, which is effectively a bypass of Madison, then routing US-151 along WI-23.  In the first case, even with this move, US-151 isn't changing the corridor it serves - Dubuque to Dodgeville to Madison to Fond du Lac.

That's not the same as relocating a highway to serve a completely different corridor than it historically has.  And that not just me being a "history buff."  IMO it just makes sense from a navigational perspective to keep the routes where they are.

triplemultiplex

With the four lane open (or almost, whatever), it's now faster between FdL and Manitowoc via Sheboygan then slogging through podunk towns on 151. 

The main thing for me with 151's northern terminus is there's nothing particularly special about it going to Manitowoc instead of Sheboygan.  Those two cities are basically the same.  Oh one's got the ferry, but that's an insignificant draw for traffic.

If I need to go to Door County from Madison from now on, I'll be using the new WI 23 expressway.
Well, absent any desire to do some road geek wandering, that is.  And that usually is a part of any road trip to a corner of the state I don't go to all the time.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 08, 2022, 02:23:41 PM
With the four lane open (or almost, whatever), it's now faster between FdL and Manitowoc via Sheboygan then slogging through podunk towns on 151. 

The main thing for me with 151's northern terminus is there's nothing particularly special about it going to Manitowoc instead of Sheboygan.  Those two cities are basically the same.  Oh one's got the ferry, but that's an insignificant draw for traffic.

If I need to go to Door County from Madison from now on, I'll be using the new WI 23 expressway.
Well, absent any desire to do some road geek wandering, that is.  And that usually is a part of any road trip to a corner of the state I don't go to all the time.

But US-151 has gone to one place for nearly 100 years. Ditto WI-23. Why change that?  Will it really help with navigation?

And I'm pretty sure US-151 to I-41 to WI-172 to I-43 to WI-57 is going to be the fastest way to Door County regardless of WI-23.

hobsini2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 08, 2022, 05:10:10 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 08, 2022, 02:23:41 PM

But US-151 has gone to one place for nearly 100 years. Ditto WI-23. Why change that?  Will it really help with navigation?

And I'm pretty sure US-151 to I-41 to WI-172 to I-43 to WI-57 is going to be the fastest way to Door County regardless of WI-23.

Just did the math on it. Madison to Stugeon Bay
151 to 23 to 43 to 42 - 201 miles, 3:35
151 to 41 to 172 to 43 to 57 - 194 mi, 3:05
151 to 26 to 41 to 172 to 43 to 57 - 185 mi, 2:59
151 to 23 to 43 to 57 - 218 mi, 3:30

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kernals12

Milwaukee is set to lose another freeway. WisDOT wants to replace the existing I-94/US 175 interchange with a DDI

Big John

Quote from: kernals12 on June 09, 2022, 09:43:37 AM
Milwaukee is set to lose another freeway. WisDOT wants to replace the existing I-94/WI 175 interchange with a DDI
fixed

SEWIGuy

Milwaukee is set to lose another freeway. WisDOT wants to replace the existing I-94/US 175 interchange with a DDI

Yeah this was discussed earlier in this topic.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 09, 2022, 11:20:56 AM

It's time for me to rant a little about why I don't like this giant garbage can of a thread for all Wisconsin stuff.  These "notes" threads are supposed to be for little things flung around the state that would clutter the place with threads of their own.  But when EVERYTHING gets dumped here stuff gets buried too quickly in a miles deep thread no one is going to read.

We have a nice thread for Milwaukee area stuff that these kinds of discussions should be in.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4191.0
Yet things keep getting piled in here that should go in other, more geographic threads.  There used to be nice separate threads for Milwaukee, Madison, the I-41 corridor; even Wausau had a thread for all the stuff that was going on up there at the time.  But now all that discussion gets swallowed by this enormous thread.

I don't know why this bothers me so much but it's been digging at me for years now.  I guess I just feel like the discussions flow better when they are grouped together more logically rather than just have a giant dumpster.  Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I'm just putting this out there:  Use other threads when appropriate.

hobsini2

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 09, 2022, 11:26:50 AM

It's time for me to rant a little about why I don't like this giant garbage can of a thread for all Wisconsin stuff.  These "notes" threads are supposed to be for little things flung around the state that would clutter the place with threads of their own.  But when EVERYTHING gets dumped here stuff gets buried too quickly in a miles deep thread no one is going to read.

We have a nice thread for Milwaukee area stuff that these kinds of discussions should be in.
Yet things keep getting piled in here that should go in other, more geographic threads.  There used to be nice separate threads for Milwaukee, Madison, the I-41 corridor; even Wausau had a thread for all the stuff that was going on up there at the time.  But now all that discussion gets swallowed by this enormous thread.

I don't know why this bothers me so much but it's been digging at me for years now.  I guess I just feel like the discussions flow better when they are grouped together more logically rather than just have a giant dumpster.  Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I'm just putting this out there:  Use other threads when appropriate.

I get it. You aren't wrong to feel that way.

mgk920

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 09, 2022, 12:46:42 PM

I get it. You aren't wrong to feel that way.

That freeway proposal ship sailed back in the late 1960s and very early 1970s.  Those roads and bridges are wearing out (they're over 45 years old(!) now) and it's time to rebuild them.  Do it as well as can be done for all concerned.

Mike

SEWIGuy

People can start new topics if they wish.  The mods don't seem to care.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 09, 2022, 08:27:13 PM

People can start new topics if they wish.  The mods don't seem to care.

And neither do I, 'OP' in this thread.

Mike

gbgoose

Big John

^^The first link was from last year.

gbgoose

Quote from: Big John on July 20, 2022, 09:50:32 AM
^^The first link was from last year.

<-----  clearly not enough coffee this morning

mgk920

Big John

^^ In 1993.

It is usually the CTH J bridge that gets hit.

The Ghostbuster

What is the vertical clearance of the CTH-CC/Rose Hill Rd. overpass? An Interstate-Standard bridge has to be at least 16 feet in vertical clearance. Maybe they need to start manufacturing shorter dump trucks (or shorter trucks in general).

triplemultiplex

It would be nice if they could just jump straight to building the new bridge that is gonna go there once the six laning project starts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.