News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A Mainah

Started by mhallack, May 05, 2010, 09:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhallack

Well Maine transplant, I'm originally from So. Cal, but been here in Maine for 10 years. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but decided finally to join. I mainly love seeing a lot of the older signs whether from historic photos or ones still lurking about. Haven't been able to find much older signage in Maine. MDOT is a pretty efficent bunch.

Anyway, HI everyone.

agentsteel53

I wonder if this set is still around on Houlton.

if not - New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts (significantly lazier states) are just around the corner.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mhallack

:hmmm:

Good question. Anyone in the Houlton area? (4 hour drive for me) But I'll say likely no.

andytom

Ian

Welcome! I go to Maine every year since we personally know a guy who owns a coastal resort south of Bath. Maine does have some cool signs, but their state shield design could be better than a square. Maine also has some fairly older signs. I like how a lot still have the old font. Here are some old ones I know of:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Yes, the Houlton assembly (and others just like it) are all up still.  There are a TON of older signs from there north.

agentsteel53

that "1" has an old BUSINESS banner, but the shield itself is not old.  Maine still uses that font on occasion - I have seen a 2 shield with the old font and a 2006 sticker.

for some reason, though, interstate shields with that font on the state name and the word INTERSTATE are easy to find, but try finding one with the number in that font ... as far as I know, none are left, though they were fairly common back in the day as photos in people's collections attest.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 05, 2010, 08:01:32 PM
that "1" has an old BUSINESS banner, but the shield itself is not old.  Maine still uses that font on occasion - I have seen a 2 shield with the old font and a 2006 sticker.

For real? May be some new old stock signs being put back up, or some sign shop person dug up the old specs?

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 05, 2010, 08:01:32 PM
for some reason, though, interstate shields with that font on the state name and the word INTERSTATE are easy to find, but try finding one with the number in that font ... as far as I know, none are left, though they were fairly common back in the day as photos in people's collections attest.

So I take it that one on By-Pass US 1 in Kittery is gone? What a shame. That is an awesome interstate shield. I would definetely like to have one of those.
Youtube l Flickr

Dougtone

Quote from: mhallack on May 05, 2010, 09:42:13 AM
Well Maine transplant, I'm originally from So. Cal, but been here in Maine for 10 years. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but decided finally to join. I mainly love seeing a lot of the older signs whether from historic photos or ones still lurking about. Haven't been able to find much older signage in Maine. MDOT is a pretty efficent bunch.

Anyway, HI everyone.

I'm from away, but I do make it to Maine once or twice a year.  There are some old shields still lurking about Maine, even close to you on ME 52 (unless it was replaced since June 2009).  Feel free to browse my collection of Maine photos from my Flickr collection listed in my signature below.

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 05, 2010, 08:56:36 PM

So I take it that one on By-Pass US 1 in Kittery is gone? What a shame. That is an awesome interstate shield. I would definetely like to have one of those.

yep, that one is gone.

now, I know someone who makes those shields, and has that font on his computer ...  :sombrero:

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

Now Maine's I-shields have gone funky....

And welcome aboard!!!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

agentsteel53

that still has the classic 1957 style wide margins - just happens to pair it with 10" numbers instead of the old-spec 8"

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

Right. I've had this thread open in a browser window on one of my desktops for prolly a month now thru several iterations of killing & restarting firefox,  and putting the PC in hibernate... `bout time I replied...

> MDOT is a pretty efficent bunch.
Insert the requisite snide comment about Route 100. ;P

Old sines are swell.
There are some nice older Route 77 signs around Portland. Dig this old SL on old US202 in Windham. Can't tell/forget whether it's embossed, but there are some embossed SLs, STOPs et al out there in the wild too.

That Houlton assembly is probably still about. Older signs can stay up quite a while, especially the further North you go. Andy, that detour & coverup are interesting. I can only hope signage gets more accurate, as the real end's down here.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

DRMan

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 05, 2010, 04:26:06 PM
Welcome! I go to Maine every year since we personally know a guy who owns a coastal resort south of Bath. Maine does have some cool signs, but their state shield design could be better than a square. Maine also has some fairly older signs. I like how a lot still have the old font.

That old font rules!  Massachusetts and (I believe) Vermont and New York had something similar, but there are still a lot left in the field in Maine. 

Ian

Quote from: DRMan on July 28, 2010, 09:51:05 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 05, 2010, 04:26:06 PM
Welcome! I go to Maine every year since we personally know a guy who owns a coastal resort south of Bath. Maine does have some cool signs, but their state shield design could be better than a square. Maine also has some fairly older signs. I like how a lot still have the old font.

That old font rules!  Massachusetts and (I believe) Vermont and New York had something similar, but there are still a lot left in the field in Maine. 

Indeed it does! Massachusetts used a wider version of the font and Vermont used the same thing MA did but only for a short while. New York I know did a similar font, and a few still remain, same with MA and VT.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.