News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NWA I-540 Street Name BGSs

Started by M86, November 15, 2013, 02:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

This has bothered me, mainly because I'm a road geek with OCD.

First of all, aren't cardinal directions frowned upon on BGSs?

Exit 83 in Rogers... I can not figure out why it is signed Pinnacle Hills Parkway.  It's really New Hope Road (for the eastern side of the ramps), and the ramps on the western side of the interchange meet where 52nd Street and Pinnacle Hills Parkway meet. 

http://goo.gl/maps/zSt3g

Exit 82 in Rogers... It's signed as Promenade Blvd on I-540, yet Pauline Whitaker Parkway is to the west of the ramps. 

And, at the end of the ramps is this:  http://goo.gl/maps/4nS7S  (Forgive the Google Steetview mangle)  Apparently, the city of Rogers posted the correct signage on the signal pole, but left the AHTD sign.

I need to get rid of this OCD when it comes to signage.

US71

Quote from: M86 on November 15, 2013, 02:23:19 AM
This has bothered me, mainly because I'm a road geek with OCD.

First of all, aren't cardinal directions frowned upon on BGSs?

Exit 83 in Rogers... I can not figure out why it is signed Pinnacle Hills Parkway.  It's really New Hope Road (for the eastern side of the ramps), and the ramps on the western side of the interchange meet where 52nd Street and Pinnacle Hills Parkway meet. 

http://goo.gl/maps/zSt3g

Exit 82 in Rogers... It's signed as Promenade Blvd on I-540, yet Pauline Whitaker Parkway is to the west of the ramps. 

And, at the end of the ramps is this:  http://goo.gl/maps/4nS7S  (Forgive the Google Steetview mangle)  Apparently, the city of Rogers posted the correct signage on the signal pole, but left the AHTD sign.

I need to get rid of this OCD when it comes to signage.

It may be that Pinnacle Hill Parkway and Promenade Blvd are considered more important ?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

txstateends

Were any of the exit streets you mentioned, around at the time that I-540 first went through, or were any of them added (or names changed? whatever the case) since?  Or is AHTD's BGS guru/s just lazy or minimal about having all the streets that serve the exit named correctly/completely?

There are a few things I see about BGS/LGS/other-S that bug me too sometimes, but I wouldn't consider your case OCD, you just notice something that should be more helpful/true/complete, that somebody in the sign shop somewhere doesn't know of (or care about).  Is there anywhere you can contact (call, email, whatever) about this, or do you think it would do any good?  I've heard a few things about AHTD on this forum since I've been around here (plus the vague recollections of my MTR days about it as well), would they be receptive to anyone trying to make suggestions, or are they just, "F-it we're gonna do what we want"?

If their ears are in listening mode, this might be a good time to find a good contact about this, since the I-49 work/signage/naming/etc is progressing and 'I-540' will be on its way out in that area.

BTW, while looking at that last GSV linkie, I only saw I-540 signage there.  Is this part only signed as I-540 without the US 62 or US 71 signs included, or is it just this exit?  I can't remember how receptive AHTD is about signing overlaps (other than the way they treat most of US 59 north of Texarkana).
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

Quote from: txstateends on November 15, 2013, 10:53:08 AM
Were any of the exit streets you mentioned, around at the time that I-540 first went through, or were any of them added (or names changed? whatever the case) since?  Or is AHTD's BGS guru/s just lazy or minimal about having all the streets that serve the exit named correctly/completely?

There are a few things I see about BGS/LGS/other-S that bug me too sometimes, but I wouldn't consider your case OCD, you just notice something that should be more helpful/true/complete, that somebody in the sign shop somewhere doesn't know of (or care about).  Is there anywhere you can contact (call, email, whatever) about this, or do you think it would do any good?  I've heard a few things about AHTD on this forum since I've been around here (plus the vague recollections of my MTR days about it as well), would they be receptive to anyone trying to make suggestions, or are they just, "F-it we're gonna do what we want"?

If their ears are in listening mode, this might be a good time to find a good contact about this, since the I-49 work/signage/naming/etc is progressing and 'I-540' will be on its way out in that area.

BTW, while looking at that last GSV linkie, I only saw I-540 signage there.  Is this part only signed as I-540 without the US 62 or US 71 signs included, or is it just this exit?  I can't remember how receptive AHTD is about signing overlaps (other than the way they treat most of US 59 north of Texarkana).

Signage: AHTD doesn't like posting overlaps.

Roads, it's complicated.

Pinnacle Hills Parkway was Horsebarn Rd and intersected New Hope long before 540 was designated. Because of the proximity to US 71 (later I-540) the area experienced almost explosive growth. New Hope Rd (formerly AR 94) was the original control street, but the exit was changed to Pinnacle Hills on the signs when new signs were put up. Previous to that, it was New Hope Rd/ Pinnacle Hill Blvd.

Promenade is a little trickier. There was no exit there before, just an overpass on Perry Rd. After the shopping center was built, the new exit was built and the Perry Rd overpass demolished.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: US71 on November 15, 2013, 10:42:09 AM
It may be that Pinnacle Hill Parkway and Promenade Blvd are considered more important ?

That shouldn't be an issue... If a ramp connects with a street in an urban area, then it should be on the sign.

NE2

Quote from: M86 on November 16, 2013, 02:32:08 AM
That shouldn't be an issue... If a ramp connects with a street in an urban area, then it should be on the sign.
Welcome to Texas. Frontage Road next 564 exits.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.