News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: MCRoads on November 28, 2018, 05:22:51 PM
Quote from: mrsman on November 28, 2018, 05:02:44 PM
Here's an interesting signal that I just discovered through web browsing on GSV:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4152901,-121.6881783,3a,75y,204.15h,70.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbb5IF88lntTOuBrcv__0rQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The signal on the mast arm has two red orbs for some reason.
This is fairly commen when the signal needs to be really apparent. I’m guessing it is that way because the road has a high speed limit, and red-light running became a problem.

It’s funny, I was about to mention the signals on 5400 W in SLC (which have the same double red orbs), because they need to accommodate the “Flex Lanes”, and so the left turn signal switches as the day progresses. Just thought that was cool, and wanted to mention it.

FYI, it's 5400 South. The Utah street grids take some getting used to. ;)

I was always under the impression that the double red light was used at intersections with a high red-light crash rate to draw special attention to the red signal. 5400 South is the only road in Utah with Flex lanes, but I know Utah has at least a few more double reds. For example, there are two on SR-193 near Ogden, at Church St and Fairfield Rd. There was also one on US 89 at Nicholls Rd in that area as well, but it was removed when the left turns there became protected-only.

MCRoads

Well I was made aware of an issue the road was having via an online news report: the lane controll structures were confusing drivers, and some were running red lights, thinking the green arrow behind the light, was the light. So, they put the "T"  signals up to emphasize that the light is red.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

SignBridge

Those T-shaped signals in Utah with the double reds are interesting but I would worry that some drivers might confuse them with HAWK signals which are very similar in appearance. And they might be confused about how to comply with them. But maybe not since the double steady-red means the same thing in both types. Still I wonder if Utah would have been smarter to arrange the double reds in a vertical line instead to avoid looking like HAWK signals.

jakeroot

I only know of one installation that uses vertical double red orbs, and it's at a signal located next to a railway crossing. The lower red is for the near-side stopped cars (those stopped on the side closest to the intersection), and the upper red is for cars waiting on the other (far) side of the crossing.

McCarver @ Ruston, Tacoma: https://goo.gl/63N1tu (both are not visible from a driver's perspective).

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on November 28, 2018, 10:32:48 PM
I only know of one installation that uses vertical double red orbs, and it's at a signal located next to a railway crossing. The lower red is for the near-side stopped cars (those stopped on the side closest to the intersection), and the upper red is for cars waiting on the other (far) side of the crossing.

McCarver @ Ruston, Tacoma: https://goo.gl/63N1tu (both are not visible from a driver's perspective).

US 271 Paris Texas,  pretty much a standard for protected lefts in Texas
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: SignBridge on November 28, 2018, 09:48:33 PM
I would worry that some drivers might confuse them with HAWK signals

I wouldn't worry about that.

Quote from: US71 on November 29, 2018, 09:24:41 AM
pretty much a standard for protected lefts in Texas

Yep.  There are zillions of double red orbs in Texas over the left-turn lane.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Double red orbs are certainly far from rare, but they're unusual in the T-configuration as posted up thread.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on November 29, 2018, 03:40:43 PM
Double red orbs are certainly far from rare, but they're unusual in the T-configuration as posted up thread.

True that.  The only one that comes to my mind is Naper Blvd @ Plank Rd in DuPage County, IL.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Michael

I remember posting about this before somewhere on the forum, but anyway, there's a set of double red signals on NY 104 at NY 3 in Hannibal.  This is the only one I've ever seen.  Here's the eastbound view, and here's the westbound view.  It was installed in either the late 90s or early 2000s.  In addition to having double red balls, there is also a strobe.  The speed limit is 55 in this area, and this is the only signal between Oswego and Wolcott, so it makes sense to have extra emphasis on the red light.

kphoger

Quote from: Michael on November 29, 2018, 03:53:49 PM
I remember posting about this before somewhere on the forum, but anyway, there's a set of double red signals on NY 104 at NY 3 in Hannibal.  This is the only one I've ever seen.  Here's the eastbound view, and here's the westbound view.  It was installed in either the late 90s or early 2000s.  In addition to having double red balls, there is also a strobe.  The speed limit is 55 in this area, and this is the only signal between Oswego and Wolcott, so it makes sense to have extra emphasis on the red light.

Yep, you posted it on the thread about stoplights with strobes here.  You must have a pretty good memory, because that was nine years ago!
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2018, 03:50:07 PM

True that.  The only one that comes to my mind is Naper Blvd @ Plank Rd in DuPage County, IL.

You beat me to that one - it's the only one I know of around here.  I believe it (both northbound and southbound Naper) were installed due to the curve that Naper takes in both directions prior to Plank Road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on November 29, 2018, 04:13:28 PM

You beat me to that one - it's the only one I know of around here.  I believe it (both northbound and southbound Naper) were installed due to the curve that Naper takes in both directions prior to Plank Road.

Hmmm.  For some reason, I didn't remember there being a T-signal or advance warning sign with flashing light for the southbound direction.  I haven't driven that road since 2006, but GSV from 2007 shows a T-signal in that direction as well. 
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Interesting to see one posted on a nearside pole and not overhead. Seems like most agencies replace one of the primary signals when using double red signals, even at curves.

Brandon

Quote from: jakeroot on November 29, 2018, 04:34:28 PM

Interesting to see one posted on a nearside pole and not overhead. Seems like most agencies replace one of the primary signals when using double red signals, even at curves.

Here's a view from further away: https://goo.gl/maps/rR9jSpAJfWu
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SignBridge

I'm surprised to see the double-red orbs on the Texas left-turn signals heads above. Didn't the 2009 Manual mandate a change to red-arrows in left-turn heads? New York State DOT has changed many of them in recent years.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on November 29, 2018, 09:08:27 PM
I'm surprised to see the double-red orbs on the Texas left-turn signals heads above. Didn't the 2009 Manual mandate a change to red-arrows in left-turn heads? New York State DOT has changed many of them in recent years.

Almost certainly, that Paris signal predates Texas' adoption of the 2009 MUTCD. WA didn't adopt it until mid 2011. And if TX and WA are anything alike, local agencies are not going to rush to make their old signal compliant unless other modifications are made to the intersection (which would then necessitate such a change).

EDIT: to clarify, I think US71 is alluding to a former, very widespread standard, not the actual, current standard.

I would like to preface something I said above. I actually know of a shit ton of double red vertical orb signals, it's just that they're all in Alberta.  :)

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on November 29, 2018, 09:35:06 PM
I actually know of a shit ton of double red vertical orb signals, it's just that they're all in Alberta.  :)

Likewise me, except in Mexico.
Male pronouns, please.

Amtrakprod

Look at this signal: The doghouse has 3m signals, I also like the queue jump:
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 30, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
Look at this signal: The doghouse has 3m signals, I also like the queue jump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsAVL0XXaeo

It's nice to see queue-jump signals outside of the obvious places like Seattle or Snohomish County. Clark County, WA (where the video is from) has never been pro-transit, so to see queue jump signals is quite a surprise, though it is a wise addition given that it accommodates their BRT service.

That doghouse is a mess! Seems like it was piece-mealed haphazardly.

plain

Pertaining to the double red orb T-signals, there are tons of them in and around downtown High Point, NC, especially on Main St.

North Carolina used to have many more statewide (mostly used as protected left signals) but most if not all of those are gone now. I believe a few exists in South Carolina though.
Newark born, Richmond bred

index

Quote from: plain on December 02, 2018, 10:14:22 AM
Pertaining to the double red orb T-signals, there are tons of them in and around downtown High Point, NC, especially on Main St.

North Carolina used to have many more statewide (mostly used as protected left signals) but most if not all of those are gone now. I believe a few exists in South Carolina though.

South Carolina actually still makes wide use of them, including putting new ones up. You almost can't go through SC without seeing one, in fact.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

plain

Quote from: index on December 02, 2018, 02:23:34 PM

South Carolina actually still makes wide use of them, including putting new ones up. You almost can't go through SC without seeing one, in fact.

It's been several years since I've been through South Carolina (other than interstates). I thought they would've got rid of many of them like NC did, glad to hear they didn't. Thanks!

Are there any with double red arrows instead of orbs?
Newark born, Richmond bred

index

Quote from: plain on December 02, 2018, 02:55:36 PM
Quote from: index on December 02, 2018, 02:23:34 PM

It's been several years since I've been through South Carolina (other than interstates). I thought they would've got rid of many of them like NC did, glad to hear they didn't. Thanks!

Are there any with double red arrows instead of orbs?

Yep, there's quite a few of those too.

Here's one with mixed arrows/orbs in Darlington:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3037353,-79.8720654,3a,32y,70.85h,89.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRe-w7RuhCj2yifYxzoRA-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And a full arrow one in Mt Pleasant:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8191588,-79.8435773,3a,15y,15.19h,95.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOhXj1Dpo3YzmboWyzuuONA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And if you want to see something that looks ridiculous, just have this 12-12-12-8 fire signal in Florida with a slightly mismatched backplate. I can't remember where this was:

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Amtrakprod

Has anyone seen or knows why these covers were installed?

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on December 03, 2018, 04:33:03 PM
Has anyone seen or knows why these covers were installed?

Probably to keep drivers from staring at them while waiting at a red light (instead of watching for peds or cross traffic, if any). They make the signal harder to see from an angle.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.