News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways that aren’t signed from junctions but have reassure signage on Route

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 30, 2019, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Along US 202 northbound in Berwyn, PA (southwest of King of Prussia) at the PA 252/Valley Forge Rd. interchange.  Although Valley Forge Road is PA 252; the interchange BGS' do not have PA 252 shields on them.  Note, the southbound exit ramp is signed for PA 252 north.

The interchange prior to Valley Forge Rd. along northbound 202 is signed as TO 252.  The ramp places one on Swedesford Rd. which connects to PA 252 just south of US 202.

Personally (for the northbound 202 interchange BGS'), I would've added a SOUTH message to the TO 252 Paoli BGS and add a PA 252 shield to the northbound Valley Forge Rd. BGS'.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

CT 173 is not signed on BGS's for I-84 Exit 41.  The northern terminus of CT 173 is about 50 feet beyond the northern end of the overpass at Hooker Dr.  The route continues down South Main St about a quarter mile, and meets the northern terminus of CT 71, where CT 71 hands off New Britain Ave to CT 173 as CT 173 turns left.  There is a single directional supplemental CT 173 SOUTH sign on the EB off ramp, but not on the WB ramp.

Another one is at Exit 8 on I-84.  EB signage mentions US 6 EAST, and the ramp is part of the US 6 mainline.  However, WB signage makes no mention of US 6, and is signed Newtown Rd/Bethel.  The only mention of US 6 is on LGS's once you are off the ramp itself and on US 6 West (known internally here as SR 911) just before it joins the ramp to I-84 West.  This is inconsistent with Exit 10 signage, where US 6 rejoins I-84 EB; US 6 is mentioned on BGS's in both directions.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

paulthemapguy

Methinks this is an especially California phenomenon.  I think some of the Utah highways designated as spurs to state facilities and parks might fit in this category.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

US 89

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 17, 2019, 08:18:46 PM
I think some of the Utah highways designated as spurs to state facilities and parks might fit in this category.

Not really - in general, the park and institutional routes are either signed like a normal route or just totally unsigned in the first place. The one exception that comes to mind is SR 319, which has several posted reassurance/END shields but is not signed from the US 40 freeway.

jhuntin1

In Indianapolis US 52 isn't signed on its exit from I-465 to I-865 west, and US 421 isn't signed on its exit from I-465 to I-74 east. Both have reassurance markers shortly after the exit. If you enter I-465 from those roads (or any other that runs concurrently with it) you see a BGS that tells you to follow I-465 to a specific exit to stay on that highway's continuation, but I'm continually surprised that those two highways aren't signed.

Terry

I'm not sure why but, in Alberta, several towns do not display route signs within their limits, unless it's a 1 to 99 "primary" highway, and some don't even show them. Even reassurance signs don't show until after leaving the town limits.

One case is AB 501 around the east limits of Cardston and then on the south limits. 501 WB intersects with AB 2 just south of Cardston. It then branches off to the east but doesn't have directional signs from 2 or, I believe, reassurances through its length around the east and north of Cardston. Going south and intersecting again with 2 (no directional signs again), 501 WB leaves 2 at the south side of town. For the third time, no directional signs. It's only when the road reaches the southwest corner of town, and turns south, that a directional sign appears.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.1857789,-113.3087197,13.46z?hl=en

Another is High River. AB 2A and 23 don't have directional signs showing that they continue through town. At the 2A/543 intersection, there's only a DS to 543, not that 2A continues. 543 only has a DS showing 2A going NB. To top it off, 2A ends and 23 begins at the intersection of 12th Ave. SE and 10th Ave. SE. The only way to tell is the town's overhead directional signs. If you're curious, the reason that 2A and 23 start at that intersection is that 2A used to go south from there but that stretch later was decommissioned.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.5859605,-113.8699182,13.96z?hl=en

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 01, 2019, 06:54:04 AM
Access to MN-5 isn't signed on I-94 or I-35E in Saint Paul, even though there is at least one direct exit to 5 (exit 242C on I-94). Similarly, US-61 is not mentioned at I-94 exit 243 eastbound, even though Mounds Blvd is signed as US-61. (It is signed westbound, since that's where US-61's concurrency with I-94 leaves the freeway.)

There are also a couple interchanges along I-494 in Bloomington where mention of MN 5 has been omitted.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Finrod

I'm thinking of Indiana 329, a very short state road south of Logansport that only exists between where SR 29 turns from north to northwest and where SR 25 exits the expressway to turn north, and isn't signed at either intersection, just with reassurance signs once you leave the intersection at either end.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

cl94

The most egregious example in New York is I-587 at Thruway Exit 19 in Kingston. Signage on I-87/the Thruway only mentions NY 28, but I-587 is fully signed both along the route and on the surface.

Further up the Thruway at Exit 21B, signs mention US 9W and NY 81, but fail to mention NY 385. While neither NY 81 nor NY 385 intersect the Thruway, both intersect US 9W (which has the interchange) at the same intersection.

NY 324 is unsigned from I-190 Exit 17 and is actually impossible to follow EB at that location due to a turn restriction. The concurrencies with I-190 are only across the bridges.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on November 25, 2019, 09:05:06 PM
NY 324 is unsigned from I-190 Exit 17 and is actually impossible to follow EB at that location due to a turn restriction. The concurrencies with I-190 are only across the bridges.
Maybe, maybe not.  What is signed as NY 324 is actually reference route 950C.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

plain

On I-195 SB in Richmond at VA 76, there's no mention of VA 76 on the BGS there (only Powhite Pkwy TO routes it leads to). Right after driving under the bridge that carries I-195 over the roadway, one sees a BEGIN TOLL 76 on the right.

Images from GSV

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

TheGrassGuy

In Bergen County, NJ, the county routes are weird, and there is sort of the opposite situation than what the OP is asking. Instead of the "600-series" county route numbering system that most of the other counties in NJ use (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_routes_in_New_Jersey for more context), it goes from CR 26 all the way to CR 134, and there's a separate series of county routes prefixed with "S" that goes from CR S-25 to CR S-124, and also three "C" routes. Bergen County, you need to FIX your county route numbering scheme. This isn't Yu-Gi-Oh!

Here is a list of county routes in Bergen County: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_county_routes_in_Bergen_County,_New_Jersey

Now, these county routes used to use white square-shaped reassurance signs with the words "Bergen County" on it (keep in mind, this is before the days of signing county routes on traffic lights), but these signs have not been updated. Very few locals really know about them, and even Google Maps pretends they don't exist. The "500-series" county routes are signed in Bergen County just like they are in the rest of NJ, with conventional blue pentagons and so on. If you're lucky enough to stumble upon one of the old white county route signs, you have just caught a rare glimpse of one of the only ways to know what county route you're on in Bergen County.

However, this is where it gets kind of interesting. In addition to the unsuffixed, "S" series, and "C" series, there is a fourth system of route numbers unrecognized by mapping websites or Wikipedia. In this GSV (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0269199,-74.2426887,3a,75y,181.89h,98.51t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1smD4Wp7kvc4qkV-20J_ICdg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DmD4Wp7kvc4qkV-20J_ICdg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D191.46135%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656), you can see "CR 4" in an ordinary blue pentagon on a gantry. Per Wikipedia, this corresponds to CR S-91. What is up with that?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.