News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New categories

Started by hotdogPi, September 11, 2013, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Some ideas for categories:

General should be split into:

"General"
"Questions"
"List these" (not sure what to call it, but it's the kind where there are some examples, like the threads "Forty Six and Two" and "Consecutive Concurrency Captions")
"Opinions" (all polls, plus other opinions like "best interstate ever" and "most pretentious highway designations")
"News articles"

Off topic should be split into:

"Partially off topic" (geography, cars)
"Completely off topic" (completely unrelated to roads)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

sammi

"List these" can probably go into "General".

Also, this board needs some categorizing, because this thread isn't exactly "Welcome".

Alps

It might be helpful to have a topic called "Ideas" in the "Meta" section, since Welcome is currently the place threads go for lack of anything better.

Michael

I'd also like to see a Questions section.  I've had various questions before that weren't big enough to warrant an entire thread, but when I asked them, I tried to find a thread that the question I was asking best fit into.  Recently, I've been considering creating a thread for questions ("Ask A Question That's Too Small To Have Its Own Thread" or something like that), but obviously I haven't.

froggie

I presume these would be for questions that are forum-related and not road-related, as road-related questions are more appropriately located within the highway or regional forums.  And on that note, most states have their own threads at this point...could always post your question there, unless it's a topic that's multi-state in nature.

Indyroads

Quote from: Steve on September 11, 2013, 09:59:37 PM
It might be helpful to have a topic called "Ideas" in the "Meta" section, since Welcome is currently the place threads go for lack of anything better.

This is a most excellent idea.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Scott5114

I would suggest simply splitting this board into two, with a "Welcome" board containing new user introductions, and a "Meta" board containing anything else that has to do with the forum specifically.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

I think there was enough impetus for this. We're discussing more changes. We like your ideas!

Michael

Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2013, 11:59:00 PM
I presume these would be for questions that are forum-related and not road-related, as road-related questions are more appropriately located within the highway or regional forums.  And on that note, most states have their own threads at this point...could always post your question there, unless it's a topic that's multi-state in nature.
I was actually thinking of road-related questions.  I wouldn't want to start a new thread just to ask something like how wide lane lines were.  I have had questions that were specific to New York before, so when I asked them, I posted them in the existing New York thread.

Alps

Quote from: Michael on September 13, 2013, 07:59:56 PM
Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2013, 11:59:00 PM
I was actually thinking of road-related questions.  I wouldn't want to start a new thread just to ask something like how wide lane lines were.  I have had questions that were specific to New York before, so when I asked them, I posted them in the existing New York thread.
a) Lane lines are 4" or 6" wide, depending on the agency.
b) General Highway Talk is the place for road-related questions.

Brandon

Speaking of new categories...  :clap:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Steve on September 13, 2013, 11:31:29 PM

4 or 6 inches? That sounds more like a balance beam!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Michael

I knew that, I was just using it as an example.

Since you answered that question in this thread, I guess I'll ask an actual question I have.  Why do many old truss bridges have a thin panel of latticed metal at the top of the truss?  Here's an example of what I'm talking about on the Exchange Street Bridge in Binghamton.  They're only on the ends of the bridges, and I've never seen them on the ends of trusses in the middle of a multiple span bridge.  It it just decoration, or is there another purpose?

Big John

Quote from: Michael on September 14, 2013, 05:30:45 PM

I knew that, I was just using it as an example.

Since you answered that question in this thread, I guess I'll ask an actual question I have.  Why do many old truss bridges have a thin panel of latticed metal at the top of the truss?  Here's an example of what I'm talking about on the Exchange Street Bridge in Binghamton.  They're only on the ends of the bridges, and I've never seen them on the ends of trusses in the middle of a multiple span bridge.  It it just decoration, or is there another purpose?
That looks like it there for decorative purposes as it holds no structural value.

Alps

Yeah, they used to spend money to make bridges look nice. Back when they thought they had easy money for that.

cpzilliacus

How about a category discussing highway finance?

Such as tax finance; toll/bond finance; public-private partnerships and how to fund maintenance and operation of highways?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 08, 2013, 10:28:50 PM
How about a category discussing highway finance?

Such as tax finance; toll/bond finance; public-private partnerships and how to fund maintenance and operation of highways?

Get a blog.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

getemngo

I second 1's suggestion for a "news articles" section. They got posted to the Yahoo groups a lot but don't really seem to have made the transition to AARoads.

So, topics about roadgeeking as a hobby would go into one of these new Meta categories? I felt uneasy about making the "Areas underrepresented for meets" topic in Road Enthusiasts Meetings, for instance, because that seems to be specifically for announcing upcoming events, but it sure doesn't belong in Off Topic.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: getemngo on October 08, 2013, 10:49:46 PM
I second 1's suggestion for a "news articles" section. They got posted to the Yahoo groups a lot but don't really seem to have made the transition to AARoads.

So, topics about roadgeeking as a hobby would go into one of these new Meta categories? I felt uneasy about making the "Areas underrepresented for meets" topic in Road Enthusiasts Meetings, for instance, because that seems to be specifically for announcing upcoming events, but it sure doesn't belong in Off Topic.
No, your topic was 100% in the right place - it has to do with meets! As for news articles, post them to the relevant region if they're local or statewide in nature, and post them to General if they're national or international.

froggie

QuoteHow about a category discussing highway finance?

Contrary to its impacts on transportation, very few people post articles/discussions relating to this (you're the only real exception).  I'd think, as with news articles, that finance discussions are appropriate in the relelvant region (or the General Highway thread if multi-region).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on October 09, 2013, 01:22:23 AM

Contrary to its impacts on transportation, very few people post articles/discussions relating to this (you're the only real exception).  I'd think, as with news articles, that finance discussions are appropriate in the relelvant region (or the General Highway thread if multi-region).

Without money, the highways do not get built, maintained or improved.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 09, 2013, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 09, 2013, 01:22:23 AM

Without money, the highways do not get built, maintained or improved.
Yes, we know, but most of us are interested in the roads as opposed to the funding. I'm not interested in the funding, but my career depends on it, so I have to keep an eye on it. (:

froggie

QuoteWithout money, the highways do not get built, maintained or improved.

Steve already hit upon this, but most of the users of this forum are not interested in the funding side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.