News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2016, 01:06:16 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 19, 2016, 09:50:34 AMWith AET, this is no longer an issue, so there is no legitimate reason to retain this system.
True, but I believe that Massachusetts may be the only state that's presently reverting back to a 2-way toll collection at its bridge/tunnel crossings simultaneously (harbor tunnels only) with the its AET conversion.

Wouldn't one-way tolling also save half the cost of detectors?

PHLBOS

Quote from: kkt on February 19, 2016, 01:30:55 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 19, 2016, 09:50:34 AMWith AET, this is no longer an issue, so there is no legitimate reason to retain this system.
True, but I believe that Massachusetts may be the only state that's presently reverting back to a 2-way toll collection at its bridge/tunnel crossings simultaneously (harbor tunnels only) with the its AET conversion.

... and erecting new gantries?  Technically, yes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2016, 01:51:32 PM

Use one long gantry.  Even if it requires a third footing (doubtful), it's cheaper than two gantries.

kkt

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 19, 2016, 02:58:56 PM

Use one long gantry.  Even if it requires a third footing (doubtful), it's cheaper than two gantries.

But it's not shorter than one short gantry. :)

PHLBOS

Can't really do that for the Tobin Bridge; the out/northbound lanes are on the lower level.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2016, 04:22:15 PM

Can't really do that for the Tobin Bridge; the out/northbound lanes are on the lower level.

Which has an overhead structure already in place, i.e. the inbound lanes. 

bob7374

Quote from: shadyjay on February 18, 2016, 09:33:10 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 18, 2016, 05:30:02 PM
I-91 has a bunch of ground-mounted stuff north of Holyoke

... and it's all on borrowed time.  Foundations are in for the new signs, as of Christmas 2015.  Haven't been down that way since then so I can't inform on any new signage going up.  Given its winter, I doubt any real progress won't be made until the spring.  Although its entirely possible, given the warm winter we've had thus far, that the contractor may still be active in the field.  Just haven't had a chance to confirm that.

With sign replacement contracts in the works for I-91 and I-90, that will make most of Mass interstates BGSs overhead. 
According to the project listing, the I-91 project is 50% complete. It still lists the completion date as this Spring.

roadman

Unlike supports for overhead BGS signs, AETS gantries have to be constructed to much closer requirements in regards to minimizing support vibration and movement.  This is because of the close tolerances the detection equipment demands to work properly.  So, for the average multi-lane freeway, a single "complete span" (i.e. across all lanes) gantry could not be constructed without a central upright - which may not be feasible if you have a narrow median.  Even if feasible to install the central support, the design requirements for the structure could easily result in the complete span being more expensive to fabricate and construct than a pair of single span structures.

Further, a single complete span structure reduces the flexibility of placing the AETS equipment over the roadway.  Because of the more precise tolerances required for proper vehicle detection and system operation, one direction of the highway at a given location may be suitable for the AETS equipment, while the other side is not.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Thank you.  I am happy to be put in my place by so thorough an answer.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 19, 2016, 04:36:54 PM

Which has an overhead structure already in place, i.e. the inbound lanes. 

The inbound and outbound lanes exiting/entering the CANA (City Square) Tunnel are at slightly different profiles and are separate structures.  Further, the lanes almost immediately transition to separate elevated structures at the tunnel portals.  So modifying or extending the existing "inbound" structure to accommodate the AETS equipment over the "outbound" lanes is not practical.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Port Authority (NY/NJ) considered it but years ago decided not to. Since they still haven't implemented it, it's always possible, but would require cooperation with the NY Thruway (which is AET so could presumably add the other direction). I don't think they need to worry about the bridges farther upstream, since the eastbound tolls are already so low that one-way vs. two-way shouldn't matter for shunpiking.

KEVIN_224

A couple of the gantries are now up on I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike for the electronic tolling. I saw the first one just west of Exit 12 (MA Route 9) in Framingham and the other one by the state police barracks in Weston near the Natick town line. There might have been a third one further west from there, but I'm not 100% sure.

jpdailey14

The Lee gantry was up as of this weekend.

shadyjay

Quote from: bob7374 on February 19, 2016, 05:54:42 PM
According to the project listing, the I-91 project is 50% complete. It still lists the completion date as this Spring.

Wow... find that hard to believe.  But then again, after this extremely warm winter, maybe progress has indeed been made.  As of Christmas, only the foundations were installed.  I'd estimate sometime in April as when I'll find out any further progress.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jpdailey14 on February 23, 2016, 05:51:41 PM

I think I have Lee Gantry's rookie card with the Astros.

Anyone know if the equipment is all expected to be up this year?  I'm potting my ticket captures and am curious how long I have.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 23, 2016, 07:44:54 PM

Anyone know if the equipment is all expected to be up this year?  I'm potting my ticket captures and am curious how long I have.

LOL. I was through there 2 weeks ago and only the supports were up.

Everything I've seen still says it's going live this year.

Quote from: Alps on February 20, 2016, 10:28:38 AM
Port Authority (NY/NJ) considered it but years ago decided not to. Since they still haven't implemented it, it's always possible, but would require cooperation with the NY Thruway (which is AET so could presumably add the other direction). I don't think they need to worry about the bridges farther upstream, since the eastbound tolls are already so low that one-way vs. two-way shouldn't matter for shunpiking.

Or PANYNJ could just toll WB trucks, similar to what NYSTA does with Spring Valley. Discourage the long-distance truckers from going that way.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 23, 2016, 07:44:54 PM

The "Go Live" date for AET activation is presently scheduled for October of 2016.

KEVIN_224

Several of those AET gantries are up. There's also one spanning the road immediately west of the westbound Framingham rest stop. This picture is westbound, near the state police barracks in Weston.

kefkafloyd

Also, the small green "time to destination" signs are starting to pop up. There's now several on US 3 north of Burlington. They are not activated yet, as they just went up in the past couple of days.

bob7374

I've posted some I-95 Add-A-Lane project photos, along with images of a few of the new electronic toll gantries installed on the Mass Pike, and some I-84 in MA signage photos (along with new signs on I-395 in CT) on this blog post: http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2016/02/road-trip-to-future.html

bob7374

Link to MassDOT press release blaming contractor error for delay in completing the Commonwealth Ave. bridge work over the Mass Pike. The good news, the closed fourth lane in the area will be opened until work starts again in 2017: http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-announces-i-90commonwealth-avenue-bridge-project-schedule-update/

SidS1045

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 25, 2016, 10:22:12 AM
Several of those AET gantries are up. There's also one spanning the road immediately west of the westbound Framingham rest stop. This picture is westbound, near the state police barracks in Weston.

Most of those which are up are also powered up and running in "test" mode.  You can see, especially at night, the flash of the cameras taking license plate pictures of those vehicles without E-ZPass tags.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

southshore720

I noticed this morning that they have restored "HOV 2+" status to the on and off ramps at I-90 on I-93.  All of the "white out" has been removed from all the signs to reveal the original directive.  Also, the 6-10 AM passenger car access on Bypass Road is gone.  They have reinforced that it is only open to commercial traffic and placed white-out over the 6-10 AM allowance.  Does anyone know why they had a change of heart on allowing more access to these roads?

bob7374

Quote from: southshore720 on March 01, 2016, 07:00:01 PM
I noticed this morning that they have restored "HOV 2+" status to the on and off ramps at I-90 on I-93.  All of the "white out" has been removed from all the signs to reveal the original directive.  Also, the 6-10 AM passenger car access on Bypass Road is gone.  They have reinforced that it is only open to commercial traffic and placed white-out over the 6-10 AM allowance.  Does anyone know why they had a change of heart on allowing more access to these roads?
The opening of the HOV lanes to all traffic and allowing use of the Bypass Road for the morning commute was part of a 6-month study which ended a couple weeks ago. There's more in this MassDOT blog entry:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/south-boston-bypass-road-six-month-pilot-program-ends/

Pete from Boston

I have driven that area plenty at rush hour before the latest round of development.  It's pretty bad.  I don't think these couple of minor adjustments are going to make do given the volumes this piece predicts.

The "Piers Transitway" was discussed as allowing for eventual conversion to light rail (though no provision exists in this regard for the airport leg).  What should have been built was an Orange Line heavy rail spur from Back Bay to the airport, but there was too much "that's twenty years from now" going on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.