News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidS1045

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 05, 2017, 09:16:52 AM
Funny how I'm more interested with the transmitters in those pictures! I think one of them is the so-called "FM 128" tower in Needham. At least four TV stations are on that including WBZ-TV (CBS) channel 4 of Boston. I'm not on that section of I-95/MA 128 that often, however.

The FM-128 tower in Needham (behind You-Do-It Electronics, on the east side of 128) has three TV stations on it:  WFXZ (24), WMFP (62) and WBPX (68).  WBZ-TV's (4) tower in Wellesley (the only one of those towers west of 128) is shared by WGBH (2), WCVB (5), WBTS (8), WSBK (38), WGBX (44), and WYDN (48).
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

KEVIN_224

I think you mean WFXT-TV (FOX) channel 25.

WBTS-LD (low-power digital?) channel 8 is the new station for NBC Boston. WMFP-TV of Lawrwence is relaying them on one subchannel while WNEU-TV channel 60 of Merrimack, NH is relaying them on another.

The one tower I'm more familiar with from the road is near I-95 South at Exit 46 (US Route 1 South) in Peabody. Dead ahead you have the tower and transmitter for 93.7 FM (WEEI Sports Radio).

SidS1045

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 06, 2017, 09:44:12 AM
I think you mean WFXT-TV (FOX) channel 25.

No, I don't.  25 is on the candelabra in Needham, on the south side of Highland Avenue.  24 is on FM-128.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

mass_citizen

Quote from: bob7374 on January 02, 2017, 01:09:24 PM
2. Will the I-90 sign replacement projects (whichever numbers are used) be substantially completed?

afaik the completion date for the Auburn to Boston Project is in 2018, so it would be a "no" on that one.

bob7374

MassDOT has announced it has completed the activation of all of its "Go Time" Real Time Traffic signs and more:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/uncategorized/massdot-highlights-new-travel-time-technology-free-mobile-app/

KEVIN_224

Status of the bridge project on I-95 over the Merrimack River, between Newburyport and Amesbury: The old I-95 span is gone. It's now being replaced with what will be an identical span to the Whittier Bridge that opened sometime in the past 2 years. 

KEVIN_224

UPDATE...three quick pictures while on I-95 South in Amesbury, MA, approaching the Whittier Bridge project. The old span of I-95 South here is gone, clearly being replaced with a new roadway and a matching bridge span.  :clap:

J N Winkler

Quote from: bob7374 on January 02, 2017, 01:09:24 PMWith the start of the New Year, some questions about Massachusetts roads that I hope will be answered during 2017 (feel free to add your own, or answer them, if already known):

My addition:

6.  Will MassDOT join the 35 other state DOTs that provide construction plans on the Web free of charge?  (I know there is no charge for ordering plans on CD from MassDOT, but that means bothering someone at MassDOT to get a project CD in the mail, as opposed to running a script to download plans for every advertised project and then working with them locally.)

I have been working with MassDOT on both BidX and CommBuys over the past couple of weeks, and while there have been some small-signs replacement projects that appear to be proposal-only (e.g. 607495 with 47 signing sheets, 608398 with 18) as well as the 607422 travel time signs and 608024 exit renumbering contracts for which I believe separate threads already exist on this board (281 and 39 signing sheets respectively), nearly all contracts that involve replacement of large guide signs still seem to have an accompanying plans set that has to be ordered on CD.  (Judging from the addendum plan sheets for 606619, there appears to have been a shift from simple summary sheets with undimensioned sign sketches to dimensioned sign drawings, prepared with SignCAD, that are still called summary sheets but are in effect sign panel detail sheets.)

I have also observed that while availability of bidding proposals on CommBuys (which is a BuySpeed platform all but identical to eMaryland Marketplace, which both MdTA and MdSHA use for distribution of proposals and construction plans, and also to Procure.az.gov, which Arizona DOT uses for small signing contracts) is essentially indefinite, they appear to be removed from BidX after about three months.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 20, 2017, 11:31:26 AMJudging from the addendum plan sheets for 606619, there appears to have been a shift from simple summary sheets with undimensioned sign sketches to dimensioned sign drawings, prepared with SignCAD, that are still called summary sheets but are in effect sign panel detail sheets.

"Pattern accurate" guide sign summary sheets, to use the common industry reference, are now MassDOT standard for all projects involving guide signs, even LGS (a.k.a. 'paddle sign') panels.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEVIN_224

It's probably minor, but I noticed that the signs on the Masaachusetts Turnpike overpasses are getting changed out. there are several new street signs (sign blades) on the overpasses facing westbound traffic, especially in the Millbury/Auburn areas.

shadyjay

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 17, 2017, 01:20:13 PM
It's probably minor, but I noticed that the signs on the Masaachusetts Turnpike overpasses are getting changed out. there are several new street signs (sign blades) on the overpasses facing westbound traffic, especially in the Millbury/Auburn areas.

Perhaps they're part of the sign replacement contract on the pike.   BTW, any progress on that as far as guide signs go? 

The bridge ID sign blades used to only be on the 'pike and 128.  The ones on the pike were white-on-brown, the ones on 128 I believe were black-on-white.  Now they're everywhere, and are more standard white-on-green, still showing the road name and town.  Those in CT just show the road name and are much smaller - some being moved from the bridge to the ground at the bridge.

bob7374

Quote from: shadyjay on April 17, 2017, 05:40:17 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 17, 2017, 01:20:13 PM

Perhaps they're part of the sign replacement contract on the pike.   BTW, any progress on that as far as guide signs go? 
I traveled through the far eastern portion of the sign replacement project zone from Allston-Brighton to I-95/128. The only evidence of future sign replacement were a few orange tags put up by the contractor, Liddell Bros., to mark the location of future sign supports. I have no other information since I have not driven on the Pike west of I-95 since last fall.

bob7374

I've posted my most recent photos of the I-95 Add-A-Lane project, including of this Needham house now with a great view of 128 traffic:

in my I-95 in Mass. Photo Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html#addalane

bob7374

MassDOT has released two documents asking for public comments. The first is the Capital Investment Plan (CIP) which the agency is holding a series of public meetings beginning this week. The document can be accessed at:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/InformationCenter/CapitalInvestmentPlan.aspx

The second is the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) for Federal Fiscal Years 2018-2022. That can be accessed at: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/planning/Main/StatewidePlans/StateTransportationImprovementProgram.aspx

The page also has links to STIPs from previous years. The 2018-2011 document, like the previous documents since the 2015-2019 STIP, does not list any project to convert exit numbers to those based on highway mileposts. Though, interestingly, the CIP does list the project as 'ongoing.'

bob7374

Going through the MassDOT website today and found that they finally updated the state map from 2012 to 2016. Perhaps waiting to see whether current or new exit numbers would have to be posted, current it is (they didn't bother even with changing the numbers on I-395 in CT), or maybe the current governor complained enough about why his predecessor was still on the official map.  JPG and PDF versions can be found here: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/TrafficTravelResources/OfficialTransportationMap.aspx

PaulRAnderson

Here is an article about the current construction on Route 9 in Westboro.  Some additional paving projects for the road are also described.

http://www.telegram.com/news/20170602/fixing-route-9-nightmare-in-westboro

Paul

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: bob7374 on June 03, 2017, 11:54:33 AM
Going through the MassDOT website today and found that they finally updated the state map from 2012 to 2016. Perhaps waiting to see whether current or new exit numbers would have to be posted, current it is (they didn't bother even with changing the numbers on I-395 in CT), or maybe the current governor complained enough about why his predecessor was still on the official map.  JPG and PDF versions can be found here: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/TrafficTravelResources/OfficialTransportationMap.aspx

Couple of other errors they made in CT:  SR 819 extending over CT 179, and CT 4 on CT 361.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KEVIN_224

Paving is partially done on I-84 east in Sturbridge. Pretty much done until mile marker 5/Exit 2. Only the left lane is repaved from there to near the former Turnpike toll plaza. Crews were redoing the center of the road where the toll gantry was.

Also...the new southbound Merrimack River on I-95 in Newburyport/Amesbury is coming along nicely.

Pete from Boston

Been off for a bit but just noticed a bunch of snazzy new signs on the Mass Pike in the Worcester area.  Nicely laid out, with much more mixed-case copy than before (such as overpass labels and rest area exit signs).  Nice job, MassDOT.

KEVIN_224

One sign subtlety I noticed is westbound in Auburn, shortly after you've passed by exit 10 (I-290/I-395/MA 12): The distance sign was replaced and now has an I-84 shield, as opposed to "I-84" like the old one.

bob7374

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 13, 2017, 11:05:08 AM
One sign subtlety I noticed is westbound in Auburn, shortly after you've passed by exit 10 (I-290/I-395/MA 12): The distance sign was replaced and now has an I-84 shield, as opposed to "I-84" like the old one.
I've posted examples of the distance signs and new auxiliary signs on the I-90 Signing thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16222.150#lastPost

southshore720

Wase took me through Quincy's secondary roads this morning.  Along the way, I noticed a new paddle sign at Adams St. and Furnace Brook Pkwy that stated "To 128" in the direction that FBP takes you to I-93.  Why on Earth is this sign here? Why wouldn't the sign say "To I-93/US 1?" 128 *technically* starts in Canton.  I get how some people (namely traffic reporters) still consider Exits 1-6 on I-93 "128," but NEW signage should not be referring to anything east of Canton as 128!

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on June 14, 2017, 10:40:52 AM
Wase took me through Quincy's secondary roads this morning.  Along the way, I noticed a new paddle sign at Adams St. and Furnace Brook Pkwy that stated "To 128" in the direction that FBP takes you to I-93.  Why on Earth is this sign here? Why wouldn't the sign say "To I-93/US 1?" 128 *technically* starts in Canton.  I get how some people (namely traffic reporters) still consider Exits 1-6 on I-93 "128," but NEW signage should not be referring to anything east of Canton as 128!
Most likely an 'in kind' replacement put up by either the City or a private developer.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on June 14, 2017, 11:05:40 AM
Most likely an 'in kind' replacement put up by either the City or a private developer.
Here's what the old sign looked like.

Since the above-GSV from 2014; Southshore720, was its replacement a large D6 paddle, the smaller D8 sign or equivalent?  The older sign looked like a knock-off of a DPW-spec'd sign rather than the genuine article or even an MDC-spec'd sign; the vintage looks like it's from the mid-70s.

In theory, TO 128 is still technically correct; but one has to use I-93 (& IMHO, I-95) in order to get to it.  :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 14, 2017, 11:40:43 AM
Quote from: roadman on June 14, 2017, 11:05:40 AM
Here's what the old sign looked like.

Since the above-GSV from 2014; Southshore720, was its replacement a large D6 paddle, the smaller D8 sign or equivalent?  The older sign looked like a knock-off of a DPW-spec'd sign rather than the genuine article or even an MDC-spec'd sign; the vintage looks like it's from the mid-70s.

In theory, TO 128 is still technically correct; but one has to use I-93 (& IMHO, I-95) in order to get to it.  :)
This is the only remaining official Route 128 sign left east of I-95, on the ramp to I-93 from Washington St in Braintree as seen in GSV in July 2015, and still there today (and, I guess, technically still correct too):
https://goo.gl/maps/H6vLy1yaJXA2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.