News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on August 26, 2022, 07:16:50 PM
For some reason, I don't see the clamor for that route to get an interstate designation the way other parkways are. Neither Brett Guthrie nor Andy Barr seem interested in pushing Congress to make the corridor an interstate.

There's a lot of prime real estate between the eastern end of the Bluegrass Parkway and I-64/I-75 (ergo, those pricey horse farms and Keeneland).  Presumably, an Interstate designation would come with a mandate to complete the connection in a reasonable period of time.  I've always wondered if it would make sense to change the routing and create a bypass on the west side of Versailles and northward to meet I-64 near Midway.  That's not only a less expensive extension, but also much shorter than the [presumed] concept of connecting directly with I-64 on the east side of Lexington (which might look really good to a planner, but looks wasteful to me).

Tom958

Quote from: Life in Paradise on August 26, 2022, 12:36:20 PM
Just think, if things had gone another way and Arkansas got the OK to extend I-30 NE of Little Rock, they could have tied it into I-155 (via US 412) and then run I-30 all the way to Lexington, KY.  You have to admit, it does fit the diagonal started between Dallas and Little Rock plus it would have made a good alternative to I-40 for northern bound traffic.

Better yet, build a new link from I-57 near Cairo to I-24 near Paducah and have I-57 south of Cairo be I-30, with the new link and various existing roads carrying I-30 to Lexington's doorstep. :)

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 26, 2022, 11:45:07 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 26, 2022, 07:16:50 PM
For some reason, I don't see the clamor for that route to get an interstate designation the way other parkways are. Neither Brett Guthrie nor Andy Barr seem interested in pushing Congress to make the corridor an interstate.

There's a lot of prime real estate between the eastern end of the Bluegrass Parkway and I-64/I-75 (ergo, those pricey horse farms and Keeneland).  Presumably, an Interstate designation would come with a mandate to complete the connection in a reasonable period of time.  I've always wondered if it would make sense to change the routing and create a bypass on the west side of Versailles and northward to meet I-64 near Midway.  That's not only a less expensive extension, but also much shorter than the [presumed] concept of connecting directly with I-64 on the east side of Lexington (which might look really good to a planner, but looks wasteful to me).

The Woodford County interests are pretty much against ANYTHING, and a routing of a freeway through or near Midway would be met with very loud opposition. There was lots of opposition to building the existing southwest bypass between KY 33 and US 62, and screams reminiscent of the proverbial stuck pig when it was proposed to extend that bypass to US 60 on the Frankfort side of town.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Coupled with what would be very expensive right-of-way costs - that is some of the most expensive farmland in the nation - I don't think the state could afford to build it. But something will eventually need to be done to US 60 between the Bluegrass Parkway and KY 4/New Circle Road - either six lane mainline widening with cross-traffic closures or maybe a quasi-freeway conversion.

As for a west Versailles bypass, that idea got quashed by considerable opposition from not only residents of Versailles but farm interests who didn't want to see the property developed. US 62 is also a state Scenic Byway and the area has numerous historic sites, rural historic districts, and urban historic districts. Complicating the expensive real estate is that a considerable amount of that land is sitting in conservation trusts so that it can't be developed for other purposes.

ibthebigd

Is there any plan to build a flyover ramp from I-264 to I-65 south?

SM-G996U

wriddle082

Quote from: ibthebigd on September 03, 2022, 02:22:24 AM
Is there any plan to build a flyover ramp from I-264 to I-65 south?

SM-G996U

I think the FAA would take issue with any sort of high ramps at this interchange since it's right up against the airport.  They probably did the best that they could when they reconstructed that monstrosity back in the late 80's.

ibthebigd

Didn't think of the Airport situation

It was rough I was trying to get to the airport and didn't know if I got over if I'd make the airport exit.

SM-G996U

hbelkins

The last time I went west across the Watterson, trying to get to I-65 southbound, it was the middle of the day and traffic was backed up horribly in the right lanes and I didn't have a chance to get over. Turns out all that traffic was exiting onto I-65. What I ended up doing was going to the airport exit and turning around and getting back on the Watterson eastbound at a ramp to southbound 65. That was probably faster than sitting in the backed-up lane that extended beyond Newburg.

CardInLex

There is a proposal to reconstruct the southbound ramp to have larger radii and moving the southbound ramp to exit 11. Although I am not sure the latter would actually help.

https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictFive/Pages/I-65_I-264_Interchange_Planning_Study.aspx

seicer

The airport is both a blessing and a curse. It's super close to downtown (and really should be connected with a light rail or people mover system at this point) but it's hamstrung by capacity limitations because of surrounding neighborhoods (although some got recently torn down), the interstates, and UPS Worldport.

Georgia

SDF is right sized for its traffic; there is talk that the east runway is going to be extended which will be interesting to see how that is done over the UPS parking lot, Fern Valley and even 65 if if the extension is long enough.. 

CardInLex

I have thought a lot about runway expansion and I-65. With the airport owning so much land east of 65, I could see 65 being rebuilt between what is the abandoned Honeysuckle Way and Norton Ave and curving back in over Grade Lane. Yes, some businesses along Fern Valley would have to relocate. A runway extension could then be pulled over the existing Grade Lane, existing 65 ramps, and existing Fern Valley Road.

But I am not sure this would happen any time soon. The airport seems focused on improvements to the NW corner over the former Crittenden Drive roadbed.

hbelkins

I think they're very close to a final decision on the Mountain Parkway four-lane alignment between Salyersville and Prestonsburg. I have no idea whether they'll opt for a new terrain alignment or a widening of existing KY 114, but I suspect they'll go for the former. There was tremendous concern that there wasn't enough available housing in Floyd County to accommodate those who would be displaced by widening the existing route, and after July's flooding, there's an even more extreme housing crunch in eastern Kentucky.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2022, 08:13:27 PM
I think they're very close to a final decision on the Mountain Parkway four-lane alignment between Salyersville and Prestonsburg. I have no idea whether they'll opt for a new terrain alignment or a widening of existing KY 114, but I suspect they'll go for the former. There was tremendous concern that there wasn't enough available housing in Floyd County to accommodate those who would be displaced by widening the existing route, and after July's flooding, there's an even more extreme housing crunch in eastern Kentucky.
Eesh.  That is a ROW nightmare.  Would love to hear how those relocations work out and how they pull it off.  Have to say that I find KYTC quite innovative at times, just out of the necessity of the situations that they have to resolve.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on September 14, 2022, 11:54:35 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2022, 08:13:27 PM
Eesh.  That is a ROW nightmare.  Would love to hear how those relocations work out and how they pull it off.  Have to say that I find KYTC quite innovative at times, just out of the necessity of the situations that they have to resolve.

The overall cost for a new-terrain alignment was more than the cost for widening of the existing route. Costs for ROW and utility relocation were significantly higher for using the KY 114 corridor, but construction costs were more for the new-terrain route. All things being equal, in my opinion, the new-terrain alignment would be better even thought it's more costly, in terms of the fact that it would cause fewer problems for residents of the area.

The new-terrain route would run to the north of the existing KY 114, and would tie in on the western end at the US 460 intersection and on the eastern end at the end of the existing four-lane route near the new Prestonsburg Elementary School. The original plans I saw call for an at-grade intersection with US 460 and no intersections along the new route. I think, but am not positive, that it would be  full freeway with no access to property along the route.

seicer

I recall seeing that it would have no interchanges in between the at-grade with US 460 and the tie-in with the existing four-lane near the battlefield. There isn't really anything to interchange with that couldn't be served by the old alignment.

Part of me wonders that if the state would simply consolidate intersections and clear back the ROW if this issue could be mitigated but it seems that they simply want a four-lane corridor throughout.

hbelkins

Pikeville and Prestonsburg want a four-lane corridor throughout.

My personal opinion is, and always has been, that a full four-lane is not necessary. Some improvements to the existing "super-2" are in my mind all that were needed, especially since Kentucky is eschewing full four-lane routes for "2+1" configurations elsewhere.

CardInLex

FYI: I-71 South (southbound only) will be closed for the next ten days beginning tonight at 8pm between I-265 and I-264. Find an alternate route if you'll be traveling I-71 south!

seicer

It looks like they are doing full-depth pavement repairs and asphalting that entire stretch.

dvferyance

Since when is Kentucky a great lakes state?

hbelkins

Mountain Parkway corridor for the extension from Salyersville to Prestonsburg was announced today. As I predicted, they opted for a new-terrain alignment to the north of existing KY 114.

There's no money behind this and no timetable for design or construction to begin. Necessary surveying and environmental/archaeological work will begin shortly.

Apparently, most local lobbying from residents and elected officials was in favor of the new alignment. Not only were housing issues a primary consideration, but traffic control was also a key factor. As it is now, traffic control will only have to be done on either end of the route, where it ties into US 460 in Salyersville and existing four-lane KY 114 west of Prestonsburg. Utility relocations will be minimal along the chosen route.

The road will be built as a limited access freeway with a speed limit of 70 mph.

seicer

I just saw that announcement on WSAZ-3. It looks like the major motivating factor was the right-of-way constraints on the existing right-of-way.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on September 19, 2022, 10:14:29 PM
I just saw that announcement on WSAZ-3. It looks like the major motivating factor was the right-of-way constraints on the existing right-of-way.

Yes, and the housing shortage exacerbated by the flooding may have played a role in the decision. I've also heard that potential bidders lobbied for the new terrain alignment because it would be easier and faster to build. A representative of at least one construction company that could potentially bid on the project was there yesterday.

There's speculation that this may become a design-build project in the next biennial budget/six-year road plan, to be adopted in 2024.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Does anyone know why the Mayfield Bypass around Mayfield, KY has no connection with US 62?  I noticed that US 62 crosses over US 68 but no ramps between the two. Both are two lane non freeway roads too.  Seems real strange to have this crossing the way it is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.