News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Weird fractions on distance signs

Started by Pink Jazz, February 06, 2015, 01:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

When my wife and I rented a car in Mexico on our honeymoon in 2006, it was actually kind of hard to use the km/h-only speedometer.  If, for example, the speed limit was 110 km/h and I was going 125 km/h, I had very little idea how far over the speed limit I was driving:  was it within my comfort range, was it enough to worry about highway patrol?  I really didn't know.

Driving our own car, on the other hand, I can simply tell myself that the speed limit is 68 mph.  Then, if I want to go 7 mph over the limit, I know to go 75 mph.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

michravera

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 31, 2020, 10:33:29 PM
The Metric System wouldn't be too awful for the Chicago Street Grid, since it is 8 blocks = 1 Mile aka 1 block = 1/8 mile

That also just happens to be 5 blocks = 1 kilometer

Yep! 100 numbers is 100 m. Outside of town 100 numbers is 200 m. 1000 numbers is 1 km or 2 km. It almost works BETTER than the miles-based thought process.

Super Mateo

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2020, 01:21:44 PM
Quote from: roadfro on August 30, 2020, 04:21:47 PM
Some drivers already have little concept of fractional distances like 1/4 mile especially while at freeway speed, so there's no need to introduce additional ambiguity when the distance is short. I'm usually good with time and distance, and even I have little concept of what 1/8 or 1/3 of a mile is.

I know that 1/3 is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2, and that's all I really need to know.

I know that 1/8 is half as much as 1/4, and that's all I really need to know.

Fractions like 3/8 and 5/8, on the other hand...  Please don't make people do math while driving.  In my opinion, 3/4 is the only fraction that should have anything other than a 1 on top.

I also think /2, /3, /4, and /8 should be the only acceptable flavors of fraction.  Minnesota, it's not worth my time to figure out how much closer 1/5 is to 1/4 than it is to 1/8.

Honesty, I don't care what the denominator is, when I'm moving at 70 mph and looking for an exit, any distance less than one mile or 5000 feet means get over to the right (assuming a right exit), slow down, and start to look for the exit coming up.  It means I'm close, and the difference between 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 mile isn't significant.

As for metric, it's easier to convert within the system, but the US is deeply familiar with using miles.  For me, it would take some adjusting and getting used to, but I could easily do it and would have no problem with it.  I can't say the same, though, for the majority of the US.

webny99

The concept of km/h has never been a big problem for me, because at least in Ontario, freeway traffic moves. You'd fear for your safety long before you feared getting a ticket.

kphoger

Quote from: michravera on September 01, 2020, 06:04:42 PM

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 31, 2020, 10:33:29 PM
The Metric System wouldn't be too awful for the Chicago Street Grid, since it is 8 blocks = 1 Mile aka 1 block = 1/8 mile

That also just happens to be 5 blocks = 1 kilometer

Yep! 100 numbers is 100 m. Outside of town 100 numbers is 200 m. 1000 numbers is 1 km or 2 km. It almost works BETTER than the miles-based thought process.

Almost, but not exactly.  One mile is not precisely 1.6 km, after all.  It's a small difference but, by the time you got down to Sauk Trail, the numbers would be off by about two whole blocks.

220 blocks @ 8 blocks / mile = 27.5 miles

220 blocks @ 5 blocks / km  = 44 km

Unfortunately, 27.5 miles = 44.25696 km.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Super Mateo on September 01, 2020, 08:39:18 PM
Honesty, I don't care what the denominator is, when I'm moving at 70 mph and looking for an exit, any distance less than one mile or 5000 feet means get over to the right (assuming a right exit), slow down, and start to look for the exit coming up.  It means I'm close, and the difference between 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 mile isn't significant.

For me, ¾ mile vs ¼ mile might mean the difference between having time to pass another slow driver before moving right vs having to slow down and duck in behind him immediately.
Male pronouns, please.

csw

Some odd distances from the past few months.

One of three 1/5 mile signs in Danville, VA.

1/10 mile in Charlottesville, VA. (I was very surprised to find this one.)

1/3 mile near Orange, MA.

900 feet in Providence, RI.

interstatefan990

I vaguely remember seeing 1/7 mile near Sacramento a few years back.

Edit: 100th post!
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on February 07, 2015, 05:48:51 PM
Still waiting for a picture of x/6 or x/7 . . .

The only one-seventh sign I've seen was for a walking trail around the eastbound I-24 rest stop at the Tennessee state line...

PHLBOS

Quote from: csw on March 05, 2021, 09:13:41 PM
900 feet in Providence, RI.

It would appear that 3 on that adjacent I-95 northbound BGS was a later add-on and/or an afterthought.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

WillWeaverRVA

3/10 mile on VA 195 in Richmond, VA (this sign is now gone):

VA 161 Boul vard by Will Weaver, on Flickr

1/10 mile on VA 146 (gone, but replaced with a different 1/10 mile sign):
VA 146 Northern Terminus by Will Weaver, on Flickr

1/3 MILE ON US 13 IN VIRGINIA BEACH, VA:
K52S8425 by Will Weaver, on Flickr
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

For reasons I am unaware, there used to be 1/7 mile markers on VA 143 in Hampton.

a few are still around...here is 1 and 3/7 - https://goo.gl/maps/Rayfq6M4Ss255BZg8

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.