Yield Signs instead of Stop Signs?

Started by Signal, July 07, 2015, 12:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signal

I've seen this in a few places... yield signs at normal intersections where stop signs should go.
Here's an example. Normal small 4-way intersection, 2 approaches have yield signs, the other 2 have no signs.
Is this allowed?

STREET VIEW LINK

Big John

I've seen that in many places.  It is allowed where stop signs are not needed. Though placing it on all 4 approaches is not allowed (except at roundabouts).

hbelkins

Kentucky converted a stop sign at an intersection in Nicholas County to a yield sign about nine years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/IO7m2

Traffic on KY 3314 previously had to stop before entering KY 1244, now there is a yield sign. No Street View in the area to show the signage.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

lordsutch

It's the default four-way intersection treatment in most of Europe. The only surprising thing is that somehow it slipped past all the layers of risk-averse engineers who want to erect a stop sign every time traffic intersects at 90-degree angles.

riiga

It's the standard approach here in Europe where major roads have yellow diamond signs indicating the road has priority. For smaller road which usually don't have priority by such signs, drivers are informed with a warning sign

that they can safely pass and entering/crossing traffic has to yield.

In my opinion it makes traffic flow a lot better and also preserves respect for the stop sign since it used only when there is a clear need for it, and not at every intersection in suburbia. While I saw a lot of these in the US, my medium-sized city had no four-way stop until two years ago when one was installed at a problematic minor intersection.

vdeane

Yield signs on intersection approaches aren't especially common in NY, particularly if visibility is limited, but there's one here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.76831,-73.779937,3a,75y,219.28h,80.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw9VssNL3hT8HTDvdil_SXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brian556

TxDOT does this in some more rural districts.

Roadrunner75

Rare in NJ for this type of intersection - primarily just where it's a merge type angle into the main road (and of course at on-ramps and circles/roundabouts).  And it should stay that way because yield signs here are regularly ignored.

PurdueBill

I immediately thought of this neighborhood in West Lafayette, IN which is pretty unique in the area for having yield signs at intersections.  The neighborhood on the other side of Northwestern Ave also has a nonzero number of yield signs, above the average for sure.

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on July 07, 2015, 07:53:39 PM
While I saw a lot of these in the US, my medium-sized city had no four-way stop until two years ago when one was installed at a problematic minor intersection.

There's a four-way stop outside of North America? Do tell more!

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on July 07, 2015, 10:22:07 PM
Yup, there are a few around but the only one I've seen IRL is the one they built here recently. I have pictures of it on my desktop computer but I won't be able to access that until the weekend. In the meanwhile I found this local street view. The four-way stop wasn't installed from the start either, there were yield signs put up at first, but I guess in this case the stop is indeed a better solution.

Tom958

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 07, 2015, 09:01:33 PM
Rare in NJ for this type of intersection - primarily just where it's a merge type angle into the main road (and of course at on-ramps and circles/roundabouts).  And it should stay that way because yield signs here are regularly ignored.

Once I suggested that there should be a hybrid sign, essentially like a stop sign at which it wasn't compulsory to come to a complete stop. Of course, I was cursed and reviled for proposing such a thing.  :rolleyes:

riiga

To continue on my previous reply: I searched through the national database of regulations and found a total of 90 multi-way (3-way or more) stops and 20 multi-way yields. Sweden isn't as large as the US though, only about the size of California.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on July 07, 2015, 08:35:20 PM
Yield signs on intersection approaches aren't especially common in NY, particularly if visibility is limited, but there's one here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.76831,-73.779937,3a,75y,219.28h,80.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw9VssNL3hT8HTDvdil_SXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 07, 2015, 09:01:33 PM

You know where NJ does have a fair amount of yields in what is otherwise a normal T-intersection: At the end of forward jughandles (the ones that you exit the road prior to the traffic light).  Examples include https://goo.gl/maps/2u3S4 & https://goo.gl/maps/OlYph

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on July 08, 2015, 06:33:39 AM

To continue on my previous reply: I searched through the national database of regulations and found a total of 90 multi-way (3-way or more) stops and 20 multi-way yields. Sweden isn't as large as the US though, only about the size of California.

Very, very interesting. Speaking of California, do the Swedes mainly do California stops? Or do they take the stop signs seriously?

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on July 08, 2015, 02:25:03 PM
Very, very interesting. Speaking of California, do the Swedes mainly do California stops? Or do they take the stop signs seriously?
The majority of drivers come to a complete stop, myself included. The remainder slowly roll forward but don't stop. Never seen anyone ignore the stop sign as bad as in that video though. I think the major reason is that we use stop only where necessary and not at every intersection in the suburbs, and also much stricter standards for getting your license. Not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign during your driving test is an instant fail (a friend of mine failed on that).

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on July 08, 2015, 02:33:50 PM
I think the major reason is that we use stop only where necessary and not at every intersection in the suburbs, and also much stricter standards for getting your license..

This is a very good point. I think America has definitely over-used stop signs, to the point where people don't take them seriously anymore. They've just become a nuisance. I swear half of them exist entirely to calm traffic (which is illegal but seems to be tolerated).

bandit957

It was common in my neighborhood in the '70s. Later they were replaced by stop signs.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2015, 09:04:43 AM
You know where NJ does have a fair amount of yields in what is otherwise a normal T-intersection: At the end of forward jughandles (the ones that you exit the road prior to the traffic light).  Examples include https://goo.gl/maps/2u3S4 & https://goo.gl/maps/OlYph
I clicked the first link and 'drove' forward across the intersection in Streetview and: Are they already completely renovating that McDonald's again?  I remember when they tore down the original one and built the new one.  Now I'm feeling old.

Brandon

Quote from: jakeroot on July 08, 2015, 02:25:03 PM
Quote from: riiga on July 08, 2015, 06:33:39 AM

Welcome to Chicago.  This is what happens when stop signs are abused and misused as speed control devices.  People fail to take them seriously at intersections like that in the video.  It is especially bad when four-way stops are used at every fucking block (that's eight in a one-mile stretch if you're counting in Chicago).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 08, 2015, 10:16:10 PM
I clicked the first link and 'drove' forward across the intersection in Streetview and: Are they already completely renovating that McDonald's again?  I remember when they tore down the original one and built the new one.  Now I'm feeling old.

Yep, they renovated that one (again) a few years ago.

More recently, they renovated the McD's a few miles down in Woodbury. In there they increased the work space behind the counter by moving the counter out.  But, they didn't move the menu board. I have nearly 20/20 vision, and I can barely read the menu board! 

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2015, 03:40:40 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 08, 2015, 10:16:10 PM

Yep, they renovated that one (again) a few years ago.

More recently, they renovated the McD's a few miles down in Woodbury. In there they increased the work space behind the counter by moving the counter out.  But, they didn't move the menu board. I have nearly 20/20 vision, and I can barely read the menu board!
If it's the one by the hospital, that's been renovated / rebuilt / sold a couple times over.  I'm pretty sure I recall that as a Roy Rogers at one point (in an earlier building), and before that it I believe it was a Geno's.  Just doing a Streetview stroll in the area, I can't believe how it's changed - single travel lane in each direction with center turning lane through the downtown, a new light at Hunter Street, bike lanes, crosswalk bumpouts - almost unrecognizable from a road perspective.  Looks like I need a "What have they done to my South Jersey roads?" thread...

riiga

Quote from: riiga on July 08, 2015, 05:43:28 AM
I have pictures of it on my desktop computer but I won't be able to access that until the weekend.

A very rare occurence in Sweden, and the rest of Europe too I would assume. The panel says "Multi-way stop".

Duke87

Americans:
1) don't respect traffic rules to the same degree Europeans do
2) behave in a more selfish and oblivious manner than Europeans do, behind the wheel or not
3) are quite paranoid about safety, especially around their homes or when children are involved

Because of (1) and (2), it is difficult to get satisfactory results with yield signs in many cases - people either just blow through them, or treat them no differently than stop signs since they are so uncommon that people don't really know how to handle them and compensate by being overcautious.
Because of (3) it is difficult to propose anything short of an all way stop at every corner in residential areas - even though it is ridiculously overcautious to have everyone stopping everywhere, OH MY GOD THERE ARE CHILDREN HERE, so overabundance of caution becomes basic expectation.

The result is that stop signs grow on American streets like weeds, and people tend not to come to a complete stop at them since, in most cases, it isn't actually necessary.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.