News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minimum speed limits

Started by MillTheRoadgeek, November 19, 2015, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

From what I know of, Ohio currently doesn't post minimum speeds. When I moved to the state, they had speed limit signs with the speed limit on the top half, and something whited-out on the bottom half. I had no clue what is under there, but my guess is that it's the minimum speed. The state eventually replaced all of them with the standard speed limit sign.

In Missouri, specifically the St. Louis area, all the freeways I've been on have a minimum speed of 40. Not sure if the state is still posting that or not.

On some freeways in China, there's a minimum speed for each lane. Normally, the right lane has the lowest minimum, the center lane(s) has one slightly higher than the right lane, and the left lane has the most restrictive minimum, along with a raised maximum. It's signed with a blue circle. Example

1995hoo

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 07, 2021, 03:24:00 PM
From what I know of, Ohio currently doesn't post minimum speeds. When I moved to the state, they had speed limit signs with the speed limit on the top half, and something whited-out on the bottom half. I had no clue what is under there, but my guess is that it's the minimum speed. The state eventually replaced all of them with the standard speed limit sign.

In Missouri, specifically the St. Louis area, all the freeways I've been on have a minimum speed of 40. Not sure if the state is still posting that or not.

On some freeways in China, there's a minimum speed for each lane. Normally, the right lane has the lowest minimum, the center lane(s) has one slightly higher than the right lane, and the left lane has the most restrictive minimum, along with a raised maximum. It's signed with a blue circle. Example

That link doesn't work, but I recall that the first time I travelled through Ohio on a family trip to Michigan and Ontario in 1987, Ohio's speed limit signs were a larger rectangular shape with a 65-mph speed limit for cars and a lower speed limit for some other vehicles identified in a load of small print. Maybe that's what's whited-out on the sign you mention? Split speed limits for trucks, and sometimes buses, weren't all that unusual around that time period as some state legislatures were panicky about allowing 65-mph speed limits. For example, I recall starting in 1988 Virginia allowed 65 for cars and 55 for trucks and buses, then changed the latter just to trucks, then later removed it altogether.

Edited to add: I found this example via a Google search.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 07, 2021, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 07, 2021, 03:24:00 PM

That link doesn't work, but I recall that the first time I travelled through Ohio on a family trip to Michigan and Ontario in 1987, Ohio's speed limit signs were a larger rectangular shape with a 65-mph speed limit for cars and a lower speed limit for some other vehicles identified in a load of small print. Maybe that's what's whited-out on the sign you mention? Split speed limits for trucks, and sometimes buses, weren't all that unusual around that time period as some state legislatures were panicky about allowing 65-mph speed limits. For example, I recall starting in 1988 Virginia allowed 65 for cars and 55 for trucks and buses, then changed the latter just to trucks, then later removed it altogether.

Edited to add: I found this example via a Google search.

That is most likely a split limit sign with truck limit covered; most have been changed out but some remain still.  This is what they used to look like in the conventional form:
https://goo.gl/maps/rkcBoN2XwiV5tJee9
There was also the "menu" format Big White Sign as pictured above and sometimes they would use two separate signs, one regular and one right next to it with the truck limit.

Minimum signs are seen in Ohio, often unattended by a maximum limit sign.
Cleveland:  https://goo.gl/maps/4XaKtwJSBp1NyFA2A 
Akron:  https://goo.gl/maps/CNoitkijzvRhJfct9 

Combo max/min signs used to be seen in CLE, but seem to have disappeared a while ago.
https://goo.gl/maps/amXdcmev3sysvgZP8
https://goo.gl/maps/wYRbYHgBM77MsqPy6
Otherwise, a tall sign with SPEED LIMIT on top like the one whited out was almost always the split car/truck limit sign.

The Ohio Turnpike got the OK to remove the split car/truck limit first, as truckers were shunpiking on parallel roads because they were limited to lower speeds on the Turnpike that could be matched on the other roads.  ODOT and other roads were OKd later.

Edit: Older street view of the Loveland sign (not the easiest to get) shows that it was indeed a split 65/55 sign.
https://goo.gl/maps/31t9uentQ5mvCsdx8

This sign on I-90 is a good example of a sign with the split truck limit (2013) then covered up (2014).
https://goo.gl/maps/csFvujRoXRQp2wQb6

US 89

Quote from: corco on November 20, 2015, 12:09:02 AM
Utah uses them, but sometimes with a "when conditions permit" banner

Is this the case anymore? The only one I knew of was on I-15 in northern Salt Lake City (with a "when conditions reset" banner), and it was removed when that portion was reconstructed in 2009. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Apparently signage for the 45 mph interstate minimum speed was far more common in the early days of the freeway system.

doorknob60

Quote from: US 89 on January 07, 2021, 08:50:58 PM

Is this the case anymore? The only one I knew of was on I-15 in northern Salt Lake City (with a "when conditions reset" banner), and it was removed when that portion was reconstructed in 2009. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Apparently signage for the 45 mph interstate minimum speed was far more common in the early days of the freeway system.

My guess is not, or at least not on I-15. I never visited Utah until 2015, and I've now been a few times, including the full length of I-15 in the state. I don't think I've ever seen any minimum speed limit signed.

kphoger

Quote from: oscar on January 07, 2021, 12:01:32 AM
my guess is that the 40mph minimum (and similar minimums in neighboring states with lower maximums) is mainly to help keep farm equipment off the Interstates.

Also, don't use this highway if half your cylinders aren't firing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: US 89 on January 07, 2021, 08:50:58 PM

They were everywhere on Utah freeways - back in the 1980s.

roadman65

Florida depends on the FDOT district. D5 removed the 40 mph minimum as well as FTE for Florida's Turnpike. D7 also removed most of them. D1 and D3 uses them still. Districts 2, 4, and 6 do not know.

Florida had them all over before the mid 90's though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

TX-49 near Tyler, TX, an undivided 2-3 lane (alternating passing lane) toll road, has a minimum speed limit of 65 mph. The maximum speed limit is 75 mph.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2549529,-95.4006534,3a,47.9y,329.11h,81.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZHbiVSvZWKYdMnwUFYhwxw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 19, 2021, 08:53:32 PM
TX-49 near Tyler, TX, an undivided 2-3 lane (alternating passing lane) toll road, has a minimum speed limit of 65 mph. The maximum speed limit is 75 mph.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2549529,-95.4006534,3a,47.9y,329.11h,81.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZHbiVSvZWKYdMnwUFYhwxw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Wow, only in Texas. But a 65 minimum is totally ridiculous.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on January 20, 2021, 02:29:54 AM

In abstract....if minimum speed limits exist to promote safety and traffic flow by reducing the disruption caused by speed differentials, then on a highway with a 75mph speed limit, wouldn't it make more sense to have a minimum speed that is only 10mph lower, rather than a minimum speed that is 30mph lower?

Back in the days of the mandatory 55mph speed limits, signing freeway as "Speed limit 55 / minimum 45" (which I remember being common in the states I most frequently was in growing up) made a certain amount of sense to me.  If you couldn't come close to highway speed, you needed to stay off the highway for safety, and 10mph seemed like a not unreasonable difference.   But in states that used to frequently post 45mph minimums...those minimums were mostly retained when 55 became 65 or more.

If you're going to tolerate traffic going 60% of the posted maximum speed, then it makes sense to me to quit bothering to have a posted minimum, especially given questions raised about conditions that require lower speeds.  But if you are trying to reduce speed differentials for safety and traffic flow, then a minimum of 65 on a 75mph highway makes sense.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 12:07:29 PM
my guess is that the 40mph minimum (and similar minimums in neighboring states with lower maximums) is mainly to help keep farm equipment off the Interstates.

That's a standard highway-speed feature for Honda's V6 engines.

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on January 20, 2021, 09:16:10 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 12:07:29 PM

That's a standard highway-speed feature for Honda's V6 engines.

Nor is it a problem, either.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Hmm.  Well.

I just remember when one bank of my old 2004 V6 Grand Caravan's coil stopped receiving information from the PCM to fire its two cylinders.  Running on just four out of six for a couple of weeks, I didn't feel comfortable going much over 50 mph.  Drove on the Canal Route here with my flashers on quite a bit.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 20, 2021, 09:11:02 AM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on January 20, 2021, 02:29:54 AM

In abstract....if minimum speed limits exist to promote safety and traffic flow by reducing the disruption caused by speed differentials, then on a highway with a 75mph speed limit, wouldn't it make more sense to have a minimum speed that is only 10mph lower, rather than a minimum speed that is 30mph lower?

Back in the days of the mandatory 55mph speed limits, signing freeway as "Speed limit 55 / minimum 45" (which I remember being common in the states I most frequently was in growing up) made a certain amount of sense to me.  If you couldn't come close to highway speed, you needed to stay off the highway for safety, and 10mph seemed like a not unreasonable difference.   But in states that used to frequently post 45mph minimums...those minimums were mostly retained when 55 became 65 or more.

If you're going to tolerate traffic going 60% of the posted maximum speed, then it makes sense to me to quit bothering to have a posted minimum, especially given questions raised about conditions that require lower speeds.  But if you are trying to reduce speed differentials for safety and traffic flow, then a minimum of 65 on a 75mph highway makes sense.
Yeah, I always wonder what happens with minimum speed limits in congestion or bad weather.  Does that mean everyone is breaking the law in those instances?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Richard3

I figure out that minimum speed limits are made to keep vehicles into a "speed bracket", in order to avoid a too big difference between slower and faster vehicles.  Because the real danger is not the speed itself (some vehicles are safe over 100 MPH!), but the speed difference between vehicles.

By experience, I generally see a difference of 25 MPH (40 km/h) in many states that show minimum speed limits.  As a truck driver, when I have to climb hills, I put 4-way flashers when I have to go under the minimum speed, and if no minimum speed shown, at about 25 MPH under the maximum speed limit.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

kphoger

Quote from: Richard3 on January 21, 2021, 10:09:02 AM
the real danger is not the speed itself (some vehicles are safe over 100 MPH!), but the speed difference between vehicles.

The vehicle may be safe over 100 mph, but that doesn't mean the driver is.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2021, 12:48:18 PM
Yeah, I always wonder what happens with minimum speed limits in congestion or bad weather.  Does that mean everyone is breaking the law in those instances?

It's possible that it does, technically. But only a pinhead police chief would order their troopers to issue tickets in that instance.

More likely is that the law is structured so that the "too fast for conditions" clauses override the minimum speed clauses. If "too fast for conditions" is 35 MPH, and the minimum is 45, then the minimum gets ignored.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2021, 01:01:22 PM

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2021, 12:48:18 PM

It's possible that it does, technically. But only a pinhead police chief would order their troopers to issue tickets in that instance.

More likely is that the law is structured so that the "too fast for conditions" clauses override the minimum speed clauses. If "too fast for conditions" is 35 MPH, and the minimum is 45, then the minimum gets ignored.

Indeed.  Pertinent phrase highlighted in bold.

Quote from: Uniform Vehicle Code, Millennium Edition
Chapter 11 – Rules of the Road

ARTICLE VIII – Speed Restrictions

§ 11-805 – Minimum speed regulation

(b) Whenever the (State highway commission) or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any highway or part of a highway impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the (commission) or such local authority may establish a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, and that limit shall be effective when posted upon appropriate fixed or variable signs.

Most states have similar verbiage.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

That wording seems to imply that if I'm driving 65, and something suddenly happens to my car that makes it impossible or dangerous to go above 30, I can go 30 and take the next exit. Is this correct?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 21, 2021, 01:10:05 PM
That wording seems to imply that if I'm driving 65, and something suddenly happens to my car that makes it impossible or dangerous to go above 30, I can go 30 and take the next exit. Is this correct?

How is that different than a state that doesn't post minimum speed limits at all?
Male pronouns, please.

fwydriver405

Before I-95 near the I-195 area was reconfigured with the Iway project, the speed limit thru a portion of Downtown Providence on I-95 South was 50 with a minimum of 40 (look at 2:28, at the right):

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.