Started by texaskdog, July 29, 2019, 05:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on October 28, 2020, 02:22:48 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2020, 02:11:27 PM
Quote from: kalvado on October 28, 2020, 02:05:48 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2020, 02:00:27 PM

Quote from: kurumi on October 28, 2020, 01:01:35 PM
When someone in your vehicle is extremely picky about parking spaces. In any lot, there's exactly one best space, and they'll want to find it no matter how long it takes. Every other space is too far, too small, too busy, too shady (69.9 deg F and below), not enough shade (70.0 deg F and above), bad feng shui, was on top of a cemetery where they only moved the headstones, etc.

In a busy lot, they'll want to vulch (a verb meaning follow someone walking to their spot, like a "vulcher")

"Just drop me off here, and I'll walk to the door.  Thanks."

But what if you're a driver?

Then why are you listening to where the passengers want you to park?  Ain't nobody got time for that.
Were you ever married?
"Shush, baby.  Shush."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on October 28, 2020, 02:22:48 PM
Were you ever married?

I've been happily married for 14½ years and going strong.    I do almost all the driving (except on long trips, during which we take turns to avoid fatigue).  I park wherever I choose.  When she's driving, she parks wherever she chooses.  If my wife thinks it was a strange spot for me to pick, I guess she might ask me why I chose it, but she certainly wouldn't try to get me to park somewhere else instead.

About the closest thing would be if there isn't enough room between the other vehicles for her to open the door and get out.  In that case, she just has me pull forward for her, then I back in again after she's shut the door.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Billy F 1988

Well, I encountered a wrong-way driver on Front Street in Missoula today! Front Street is an eastbound one-way street, and this imbecile in a Durango had my blue deuce Malibu Maxx in its crosshairs for literally nothing to do other than to try and make me shit my pants, which the Durango failed spectacularly. But, on the happier flip side, after I gave the idiot Durango the flashing lights and the horn, disaster was averted. I can't help but wonder how Missoulian drivers, well, every kind of driver in Missoula for that matter, can be ever so STUPID!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Ned Weasel

I could have sworn there was a thread recently about people who stop at the end of right-turn slip lanes when the lane continues and there's no reason to stop.  But now I can't find it.  Did it get deleted?  Anyway, that annoys the **** out of me, too.

Oh, it was this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27986.msg2547664

I was reading that and thinking, shouldn't that go here?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 14, 2020, 05:54:20 PM
Well, I encountered a wrong-way driver on Front Street in Missoula today! Front Street is an eastbound one-way street, and this imbecile in a Durango had my blue deuce Malibu Maxx in its crosshairs for literally nothing to do other than to try and make me shit my pants, which the Durango failed spectacularly. But, on the happier flip side, after I gave the idiot Durango the flashing lights and the horn, disaster was averted. I can't help but wonder how Missoulian drivers, well, every kind of driver in Missoula for that matter, can be ever so STUPID!

You sure they were locals?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: stridentweasel on November 15, 2020, 03:38:17 PM
I could have sworn there was a thread recently about people who stop at the end of right-turn slip lanes when the lane continues and there's no reason to stop.  But now I can't find it.  Did it get deleted?  Anyway, that annoys the **** out of me, too.

Oh, it was this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27986.msg2547664

I was reading that and thinking, shouldn't that go here?

But that raises the question of who is the annoying idiot, if you read the rest of that thread.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: kphoger on November 20, 2020, 01:48:29 PM

:-D :-D :-D The hell if I know.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

kphoger

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 20, 2020, 03:24:13 PM

Well, if I'm from out of town–coming in on a visit, say, from a rural town of 300 people–and I'm trying to get some place, reading directions, looking all around... and I end up going the wrong way down a one-way street... that doesn't make me "ever so STUPID".

FWIW, I've seen several wrong-way drivers here in Wichita.  Not stupid, just turned around, I'm sure.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

I can understand a wrong-way driver on a one-way city street. The interstate, though, is a completely different matter.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on November 20, 2020, 03:35:35 PM

Well, if I'm from out of town–coming in on a visit, say, from a rural town of 300 people–and I'm trying to get some place, reading directions, looking all around... and I end up going the wrong way down a one-way street... that doesn't make me "ever so STUPID".

FWIW, I've seen several wrong-way drivers here in Wichita.  Not stupid, just turned around, I'm sure.

Quote from: webny99 on November 20, 2020, 04:09:39 PM
I can understand a wrong-way driver on a one-way city street. The interstate, though, is a completely different matter.

Yep.  Of which Front Street in Missoula is the former.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

I don't know if it has been mentioned upthread, but it is somewhat common at least here in eastern Wisconsin, it is unwarranted, unnecessary politeness, such as when someone else clearly has priority at, let's say, a four-way STOP intersection and yet tries to wave others through or in, etc.  This can really slow things down and muck up the traffic flow.

"Don't you remember your Drivers' Ed classes???"

:pan:

Mike

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: kphoger on November 20, 2020, 03:35:35 PM

I'm not implying that all out-of-town drivers are stupid, but some tend to get on my nerves. And that's mainly because of my driving anxiety that tends to drive such a thought out. I never used to have driving anxiety over ten years ago. I'll take the bump admitting I was too crass with saying "I can't help but wonder how Missoulian drivers, well, every kind of driver in Missoula for that matter, can be ever so STUPID!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.