News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Double Doghouse Signals?

Started by KEK Inc., November 16, 2020, 03:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on November 19, 2020, 11:01:15 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2020, 07:39:47 PM
You mean like these?  With towers, and not doghouses.

https://goo.gl/maps/quU5JBBfHtBkRGTh7
https://goo.gl/maps/uhvsx5PHQwxXCYvL7
https://goo.gl/maps/kFNEmq6Q9dw6P4HHA

I mentioned earlier that, in my opinion, Illinois likely has the most examples of this in the country. It's just that they use 5-section towers. The sheer number of right turn overlap signals in Illinois is simply outstanding.

I wish right turn overlap were used more often in my area.  They exist in certain places, but there could be more.  They really help move traffic along for busy right turns.

Bravo Illinois for making good use of a helpful traffic feature.

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on November 20, 2020, 08:18:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 19, 2020, 11:01:15 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2020, 07:39:47 PM
You mean like these?  With towers, and not doghouses.

https://goo.gl/maps/quU5JBBfHtBkRGTh7
https://goo.gl/maps/uhvsx5PHQwxXCYvL7
https://goo.gl/maps/kFNEmq6Q9dw6P4HHA

I mentioned earlier that, in my opinion, Illinois likely has the most examples of this in the country. It's just that they use 5-section towers. The sheer number of right turn overlap signals in Illinois is simply outstanding.

I wish right turn overlap were used more often in my area.  They exist in certain places, but there could be more.  They really help move traffic along for busy right turns.

Bravo Illinois for making good use of a helpful traffic feature.

I would agree. I can think of many intersections where they are could be useful but are not used.

It does seem, though, they are less common in certain areas thanks to the propensity to provide for signalized U-turns that aren't of the "yield to right turns" variety. This situation seems especially common, from what I've seen, in California, Washington, and Nevada. But certainly other states and areas too.

But then there are areas like Illinois or British Columbia where medians are very common but where signalized U-turns are rare as hens teeth. The expectation for those who must do a U-turn seems to be "fine, just not here".

jakeroot

Quote from: jmacswimmer on November 20, 2020, 09:45:40 AM
Two I'm aware of in Maryland:

-MD 85 south at Executive Way outside Frederick

-McDonogh Road east at MD 140 in Garrison

I'm deeply disappointed that neither of those intersections have near-side right-turn doghouses, as they do for the left turn doghouse. Otherwise, I would have finally found my intersection with four doghouse signals!

fwydriver405

Here are some more double doghouse signals around my area I know of:

Maine:
Wiscasset, side note, notice the sign in the median...  :hmmm:
Westbrook

Massachusetts:
Stoughton

Two more examples of double inline bimodal 4's for left and right:
Portland, 1 and 2

This one in Athens AL is/was for a double permissive left... not sure if the phasing got changed to split phasing based on current GSV view and the removal of the "LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN" sign.

I know for a fact I've seen a triple doghouse configuration around my area somewhere... I just can't figure out where in the world it would be located.

By the way, does it count if there a mix of doghouses and inline 4/5 section signals? I know some places like CA likes to put the doghouses on the mast arms, and the inline signals on the poles.

roadfro

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 21, 2020, 11:24:54 PM
By the way, does it count if there a mix of doghouses and inline 4/5 section signals? I know some places like CA likes to put the doghouses on the mast arms, and the inline signals on the poles.

I would say no, as that tends to be a really common occurrence–at least in my experience. In Nevada for example, if there's a doghouse overhead for a left turn lane, there's a greater than 95% chance that there's also a post-mounted vertical 5-section display on the far left corner.

For me, the more intriguing posts in this thread have been those instances of unexpected or unusual doghouse applications. Like the two overhead doghouses where one has a left turn arrow set and another has a right turn arrow set. Or instances of two doghouses for two left turn lanes. Or seeing multiple post-mounted doghouses (since, at least for my area, post-mounted doghouses are a rarity).

My contribution to the thread is the only example I have ever seen in my home state, but it no longer exists–fortunately, GSV captured it in 2009. The intersection of Craig Road & Rainbow Blvd in Las Vegas used to have offset protected-permitted left turns in a wide median, and the doghouses were post-mounted in the median, one far side and one near side for each direction (so there was double double doghouses). And interestingly, there were no far left 5-section pole-mounts here. This was all changed circa 2010-11, as double left turns were put in and the medians reconfigured–there's still front and rear facing post-mounted left turn signals in the median, and far-left pole-mounted signal heads were added. (Notably, it is still one of the few intersections in the Las Vegas Valley where you'll find post-mounted signals in the median.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hwyfan

There are a pair of doghouses at the dual intersection of Carter Hill Road, Mulberry Street and Narrow Lane Road in Montgomery, Alabama.

Dropped pin
Near Mulberry St, Montgomery, AL 36106
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qKrEXDes1Gxozf4B7

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 21, 2020, 11:24:54 PM

I know for a fact I've seen a triple doghouse configuration around my area somewhere... I just can't figure out where in the world it would be located.

Triple doghouses in NY. I know I've posted this intersection before on the forums

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6cPzAj4CmUBvNRkG6

And another example close by. The road with the doghouses uses split phasing, NY normally installs a 4 section tower or a doghouse with no yellow arrow for split phasing

https://maps.app.goo.gl/msJrNKrjPhkzqAeF7

fwydriver405

Found this from another topic that jakeroot posted in, Flashing red in all directions at an intersection:

Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2019, 03:02:44 AM
I'm thinking this is part of a theme. A few blocks away, there is another similar signal with all 8-inch signals with four doghouses, all of which were just installed as part of an upgrade of the signal:

https://goo.gl/maps/rjjTn6jbnoKyUzaF8

paulthemapguy

Brandon has Illinois covered, but I thought I'd add a fun little bonus fact-- here's an intersection where EVERY SINGLE APPROACH is a double-tower.  And there isn't a SINGLE three-section head at the entire intersection!  I'm sure this isn't the only place where this has happened in Illinois, either! https://goo.gl/maps/gnnvQg271boWT2Tz8
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

fwydriver405

With a 6-aspect signal, is it best to have the FYA portion of the signal:
1. Shared with the steady yellow arrow in the left-middle aspect, or
2. Shared with the steady green arrow in the left-bottom aspect, via a bimodal arrow?

Quote from: jakeroot on November 28, 2020, 01:28:16 AM
What I would like to see is the adoption of a six-face signal, where there's basically a three-head all-arrow display directly adjacent to a three-head all-orb display (ideally surrounded by a single backplate). These would allow greater flexibility for the above situations where the full functionality of a dedicated turn signal (TOD phasing, pedestrian protection, etc) cannot be afforded due to the option lane, but would allow the placement of an orb display over the option lane. This is currently difficult (basically impossible) to achieve given rules around the physical separation of signals. Plus, there's the issue with left turn signals directly above a lane likely leading drivers to believe that lane to be only for turns (good example here -- virtually zero drivers use the left lane to go straight).

jakeroot

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 28, 2020, 02:13:26 PM
2. Shared with the steady green arrow in the left-bottom aspect, via a bimodal arrow?

I'm not totally sold on one way being the best. But I am used to seeing the middle aspect as the flashing part, rather than a bi-modal bottom lens.

The ideal setup would obviously be to use a 4-aspect FYA adjacent to a 3-aspect RYG signal, but that seems pretty awkward.

US71

Parts of Indiana have Right Turn doghouses on the near and far corners of the intersection.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: US71 on November 28, 2020, 07:05:38 PM
Parts of Indiana have Right Turn doghouses on the near and far corners of the intersection.

Which parts? I've never seen this.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on November 28, 2020, 07:20:03 PM

I'll have to check my photos, but it was in the Indianaoplis area.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 28, 2020, 02:13:26 PM

What I would like to see is the adoption of a six-face signal, where there's basically a three-head all-arrow display directly adjacent to a three-head all-orb display (ideally surrounded by a single backplate). These would allow greater flexibility for the above situations where the full functionality of a dedicated turn signal (TOD phasing, pedestrian protection, etc) cannot be afforded due to the option lane, but would allow the placement of an orb display over the option lane. This is currently difficult (basically impossible) to achieve given rules around the physical separation of signals. Plus, there's the issue with left turn signals directly above a lane likely leading drivers to believe that lane to be only for turns (good example here -- virtually zero drivers use the left lane to go straight).
I say bimodel section. The issue with the bimodel arrow in a 4 section signal is that color blind people can't see the change green to yellow; but the FYA never goes green to solid yellow in the same orb. Sure it could go flashing yellow to green but that's different since it's flashing to solid.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

PurdueBill

Quote from: US71 on November 28, 2020, 07:36:18 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 28, 2020, 07:20:03 PM

I'll have to check my photos, but it was in the Indianaoplis area.

The first thing I thought of when I read this was in Logansport as SR 25 leaves town to the north--but the near-side one on the pole of the cantilever isn't a doghouse for whatever reason, but a 5-stack.  Uncommon for INDOT, and who knows why it's like that.  There was room for a doghouse; the signal for the side street sticks out more than what a doghouse would have.  I can't think of that many stacks like that that I've ever seen in Indiana, which makes this one memorable. 

STLmapboy

Found a double doghouse in Mississippi. May be the first MS example on the thread.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

fwydriver405

US71

Here's an intersection near Indianapolis with multiple doghouses.

https://goo.gl/maps/goHe4vDEu7D3ySF86

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: US71 on December 04, 2020, 06:25:37 PM
Here's an intersection near Indianapolis with multiple doghouses.

https://goo.gl/maps/goHe4vDEu7D3ySF86

That intersection should use FYAs, the railroad preemption could cause yellow trap

fwydriver405

So if the left and middle signals in this example were merged into one 6-section signal... would it work as described above? This intersection has option lanes...

PurdueBill

Quote from: fwydriver405 on December 05, 2020, 11:55:30 PM

So if the left and middle signals in this example were merged into one 6-section signal... would it work as described above? This intersection has option lanes...

Yikes--isn't it standard not to use the FYA with option lanes like that?  That is one place where doghouses still go up in places that have adopted FYA (e.g., Indiana).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.