News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mile markers matching control city distances

Started by bassoon1986, February 06, 2021, 03:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

Heading west on I-30 from Little Rock, signs showing miles to Texarkana are exactly the same as the nearest mile marker post. So leaving Hope, AR, Texarkana is 29 miles away and you're passing by mile marker 29.

Where else does this happen? I'd imagine on interstates going westbound or southbound where the next control city sits at a state line or where the interstate terminates.

iPhone

NWI_Irish96

Close: just past MM 18.5 on I-65 SB in Indiana is a sign showing 19 miles to Jeffersonville.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

The entire NY Thruway mainline westbound and southbound from the Pennsylvania line to NYC. The mileage to NYC appears on every post-interchange distance sign and counts down with the mileposts all the way from 496 to 0.

Rothman

Well...not the Mass Pike.  At least when I was a kid, they claimed the distance to Boston was to the gold dome of the State House.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

I-55 South, I-70 West, and I-64 West in Illinois, all approaching Saint Louis, tho the number variance may be 1 mile

SkyPesos

SB I-71 between Columbus and Cincinnati and SB I-75 between Dayton and Cincinnati are full of examples, though the mileage signs are about half a mile ahead of the mile markers because you enter Downtown Cincinnati before crossing the river into KY.

roadman65

I-4 for Tampa.  The mileposts countdown from I-95 at MM 132 to Tampa, but the control city use of Tampa begins now at SR 414 in Maitland.   I-4 ends at I-275 in Downtown Tampa.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Anyone have an opposite-direction example?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SkyPesos

Quote from: 1 on February 07, 2021, 07:03:48 AM
Hypothetical example: Both KC-STL on I-70 and Cincy-Cleveland on I-71 are around 248 miles, so if there is a distance sign that would match in the NB/EB direction, it would be somewhere between MM 123-125. It's very unlikely there would be one, since I-70 is in Columbia and I-71 just north of Columbus at that mile marker.

kphoger

All over Mexico, as mile kilometer markers count down to cities, not state lines, in general.

example
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KCRoadFan

Here's one I know of: southbound I-35 and westbound I-70 in Missouri approaching KC.

Also, some other possible examples:

I-5 in Washington state approaching Portland
I-16 in Georgia approaching Macon
I-20 in Mississippi approaching Vicksburg
I-25 in New Mexico approaching Las Cruces
I-35 in Texas approaching Laredo
I-40 in Tennessee approaching Memphis
I-43 in Wisconsin, southwest of Milwaukee, approaching Beloit
I-64 in Kentucky approaching Louisville
I-64 in West Virginia approaching Huntington
I-65 in Alabama approaching Mobile
I-69 in Indiana approaching Indianapolis (before the exits were renumbered, that is)
I-75 in Tennessee approaching Chattanooga
I-76 in Colorado approaching Denver
I-77 in Ohio approaching Marietta
I-80 in Iowa approaching Council Bluffs/Omaha
I-80/90 (the Toll Road) in Indiana approaching Chicago
I-81 in New York state approaching Binghamton
I-84 in Oregon approaching Portland
I-85 in Alabama approaching Montgomery
I-90 in Minnesota approaching Sioux Falls
I-90 in Washington state approaching Seattle
I-90 in Wisconsin approaching La Crosse
I-94 in Indiana approaching Chicago
I-94 in Minnesota approaching Fargo/Moorhead
I-94 in Montana approaching Billings
I-95 in Florida approaching Miami
I-95 in Maryland approaching Washington, DC

Do those examples all seem right?

bassoon1986

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 08, 2021, 05:51:20 PM
Here's one I know of: southbound I-35 and westbound I-70 in Missouri approaching KC.

I-69 in Indiana approaching Indianapolis (before the exits were renumbered, that is)

Yes those are all likely pretty spot on. Some I wonder if the mileage to that city is an exact match. My example with Texarkana has the mileage to the city marked right at the state line at the zero mark.

Does Portland, OR mileage coming south on I-5 put it further into Oregon than the state line? I would think ones for Chattanooga would be closer to the I-24 interchange or before. When you get to the GA state line on I-75 you're on your way out of the city.

iPhone

tdindy88

I can pretty much assure you that the Indiana ones wouldn't be exactly right. Starting with I-69, the mileage was to Downtown Indianapolis which was about ten miles away as the crow flies from the end of I-69 at I-465 so the mileage reflected that. And the examples with I-80/90 and I-94 with Chicago wouldn't work either. The mileage again was to the Chicago Loop, a good ten or more miles beyond the state border. As for I-94 for instance it seems like its more than ten miles before you can actually see Chicago (the skyline anyway)

SkyPesos

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 07, 2021, 09:40:18 AM
Quote from: 1 on February 07, 2021, 07:03:48 AM
Hypothetical example: Both KC-STL on I-70 and Cincy-Cleveland on I-71 are around 248 miles, so if there is a distance sign that would match in the NB/EB direction, it would be somewhere between MM 123-125. It's very unlikely there would be one, since I-70 is in Columbia and I-71 just north of Columbus at that mile marker.
Found one in the EB direction: I-70 EB 49 miles to Columbus between mile markers 48 and 49

KCRoadFan

Quote from: kphoger on February 07, 2021, 03:51:00 PM
All over Mexico, as mile kilometer markers count down to cities, not state lines, in general.

example

They do that in Italy too. On a 2008 visit to that country, I remember driving on the A1 freeway from Bologna to Milan, and I remember the zero-kilometer being where it meets the beltway outside of Milan. (Side note: I believe in most European cities, there tend not to be freeways inside the beltways for the most part, unlike in the States; there, the idea is to drive along the beltway to the exit closest to your destination and drive in on surface roads the rest of the way.)

SkyPesos

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 08, 2021, 08:25:51 PM
(Side note: I believe in most European cities, there tend not to be freeways inside the beltways for the most part, unlike in the States; there, the idea is to drive along the beltway to the exit closest to your destination and drive in on surface roads the rest of the way.)
Same with the majority of Chinese cities. For example, Beijing has no freeways inside the 2nd ring road.

kphoger

I can confirm I-35 in south Texas.  Here is MM-131, and in the background is a distance sign for 'Laredo 131'.

However, Kansas City is not correct:
I-35 is off by 3 miles.
I-70 is off by 1 or 2 miles.

I suspect most of your others are inaccurate as well, but I don't have the time to look them up.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

No for both of these. Louisville's "countdown" distance is, best I can tell, to Spaghetti Junction. You still have six miles to go until you get to the state line.

And in West Virginia, Huntington ceases to be the control past Exit 11 (WV 10/Hal Greer Blvd./Downtown). At that point, Ashland takes over.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Occidental Tourist

Are we talking city center or city limit?  I-10 in California and Arizona has examples of both.
I-10 westbound in California counts down to Exit 1/Lincoln Blvd., which is the exit to get to the Santa Monica Civic Center.
I-10 westbound in Arizona counts down to mile marker 0, which is the center of the Colorado River and the eastern city limit of Blythe, California

dougI5

Quote from: bassoon1986 on February 08, 2021, 07:00:48 PM

Yes those are all likely pretty spot on. Some I wonder if the mileage to that city is an exact match. My example with Texarkana has the mileage to the city marked right at the state line at the zero mark.

Does Portland, OR mileage coming south on I-5 put it further into Oregon than the state line? 

iPhone
I believe it does. There is (or used to be) a destination sign on I5 south, north of Vancouver which gives the distance to Portland about 4 miles further than the state line. I can't remember what the actual distance on the sign is.

kphoger

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 10, 2021, 01:36:49 AM
Are we talking city center or city limit?

It doesn't matter.  We're talking about whatever the control city distance signs count down to–whether that is the city center, city limit, highway junction, or any other point.
Male pronouns, please.

mrsman

I would think the exit numbering on I-80 WB in CA would match the distance to SF, relatively closely.  It seems to be about 2 miles off.

Here is a mileage sign just west of Davis, stating 72 mi to SF:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5177064,-121.7728461,3a,75y,233.71h,81.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYu0lBH6dwQznqb8gf9AVjQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The next exit, for Kidwell Rd, about 1 mile away, is exit 69.

CA doesn't do mileposts like other states, they do postmiles.  It's not just semantics.  The postmiles are for mile system, per county, not for the whole state.  So the postmiles reset to zero at every county line. 

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: kphoger on February 10, 2021, 12:20:01 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 10, 2021, 01:36:49 AM
Are we talking city center or city limit?

It doesn't matter.  We're talking about whatever the control city distance signs count down to–whether that is the city center, city limit, highway junction, or any other point.

Well then neither example I gave works. I'm not aware of a westbound mileage sign for either Santa Monica or Blythe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.