News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pavement Markings

Started by Michael, October 11, 2012, 09:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jake on February 03, 2014, 06:23:29 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on February 02, 2014, 11:03:07 PM
Poor crosswalk placement at a roundabout in Minnesota:
IMG

Please, baby Jesus, let that be a joke...PLEASE!!
Seconded.
I found my own odd pavement marking near Tacoma, WA:

http://goo.gl/tZEA7F

Two errors in this one:

1) "centre" -- spelled wrong. Emailed Gig Harbor chief engineer, they are going to fix it next time the markings are updated.
2) the calligraphy is painted from top to bottom, instead of bottom to top. I personally prefer this, but technically it's wrong.

I also agree on #2, but only where a driver can reasonably see both words at approximately the same time. Doesn't work in some instances. All the more reason to keep word messages as simple as possible.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on February 03, 2014, 07:14:46 PM
I also agree on #2, but only where a driver can reasonably see both words at approximately the same time. Doesn't work in some instances. All the more reason to keep word messages as simple as possible.

I agree. Like on a road going down a slope. Still though, it's weird having to unlearn "top to bottom, left to right".

doogie1303

Quote from: ET21 on February 03, 2014, 02:13:35 PM
Quote from: Michael on January 08, 2013, 01:18:54 PM
When I was checking my Facebook News Feed earlier, this showed up from How It's Made:

From the article that was linked:
The Netherlands will start experimenting with photoluminescent paint on roads that charges in sunlight and then glows at night to denote lanes, traffic markers and even cold weather conditions.

Now this would be excellent out in rural areas

Definitely like the idea, very "Tron" ish, but would all colored lines have the same "alien green" color? They could add some fluorescence color to the paints that would help also to differentiate between yellow and white.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: doogie1303 on February 04, 2014, 09:43:39 PM
When I was checking my Facebook News Feed earlier, this showed up from How It's Made:

The Netherlands will start experimenting with photoluminescent paint on roads that charges in sunlight and then glows at night to denote lanes, traffic markers and even cold weather conditions.

Definitely like the idea, very "Tron" ish, but would all colored lines have the same "alien green" color? They could add some fluorescence color to the paints that would help also to differentiate between yellow and white.

Apparently in the future, the sky is lit with blacklights as well.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: doogie1303 on February 04, 2014, 09:43:39 PM

Most of Europe only uses white lines (aside from parking markings or construction markings)...
Take the road less traveled.

Zeffy

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 05, 2014, 05:16:11 AM
Most of Europe only uses white lines (aside from parking markings or construction markings)...

http://goo.gl/maps/zoJBH

I'm guessing the 'center line' is just a much thicker white line in lieu of the American solid-yellow or striped-yellow.

Also, slightly off topic, but I thought they used km/h in the UK? This sign tells me otherwise:
http://goo.gl/maps/28W5l
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

realjd

Quote from: Zeffy on February 05, 2014, 11:11:30 AM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 05, 2014, 05:16:11 AM

http://goo.gl/maps/zoJBH

I'm guessing the 'center line' is just a much thicker white line in lieu of the American solid-yellow or striped-yellow.

Also, slightly off topic, but I thought they used km/h in the UK? This sign tells me otherwise:

UK uses different types of white lines depending on context. Generally speaking, center lines are white and similar to American lines while lane dividing lines are short lines spaced farther apart.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070563.pdf

In practice though, it isn't an issue figuring out which is which. It seems to just work itself out through context, traffic flow, and signage. When in doubt, keep left.

UK uses miles and yards for road signs. Along with us, they're one of the few holdouts on metricising (that's a word, right?) the roads.

EDIT:

I wanted to add that in built up areas, lanes are treated more informally than in the US. People are often allowed to park along the curb in the left lane, and roads will sometimes shift from one wide lane to two narrow lanes from block to block. If the lane is wide enough, people form two lanes anyway. I've also seen it where lanes are marked at intersections but not in between. Drivers all tend to figure it out and I've never noticed it leading to any problems in any of my trips over there.

This doesn't apply to highways and motorways of course. Lanes are always well marked on high speed roads in my experience.

The double yellow edge lines in your street view link indicate no stopping or parking along the curb.

KEK Inc.

If you watch Top Gear, they always say MPH and miles.  They only converted their temperatures to metric.
Take the road less traveled.

Michael

I saw a GIF (well, technically GIFV) of this video yesterday on Imgur:

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

I've always wondered how do they get it exact when in a truck? I noticed when painting broken lines, even if one is off centered they can still trace it exact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtuTckC_eJs
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jakeroot

Bruce

SignGeek101

Quote from: Zeffy on February 05, 2014, 11:11:30 AM

UK uses imperial for road signs. Northern Ireland went metric in 2005.

Bruce

WSDOT has been installing LEDs on the lanes of I-90 near Snoqualmie Pass:

realjd

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 17, 2015, 05:17:19 PM

No they didn't. As part of the UK, Northern Ireland still uses mph on their roads. The non-UK portion or Ireland (ROI) uses metric.

SignGeek101

Quote from: realjd on August 17, 2015, 10:10:23 PM

No they didn't. As part of the UK, Northern Ireland still uses mph on their roads. The non-UK portion or Ireland (ROI) uses metric.

My mistake. Was on Street-view and didn't check which direction I was looking at.

UCFKnights

Orlando's Expressway Authority has been doing a ton of new roadway markings over the past year. I personally don't like most of them, here's what I've noticed that I haven't seen too many other places:

Extremely long arrows and dashes on the option lanes, for example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5399471,-81.3188048,3a,25.1y,283.55h,86.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1seVt5CNEVZ7XLimn_0f1GoQ!2e0!5s20150301T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Right behind that you can see they also just added typical intersection right turn arrows. I think its looks pretty ugly, and is somewhat inaccurate, so there should be a better way to do it, but the area does have a lot of people who, from the right lane of the 2 exit lanes, feel they can choose either of the 2 exit lanes even if someone is next to them who has the option to exit into the left of the exit lanes. A fair number of people also seem to believe that from the right lane, they can change lanes right at the gore as well to continue going straight, seemingly getting upset when someone uses the option lane to exit as it makes that maneuver more difficult.

Another thing is when lanes are ending, they're adding the same small dashed lines that go all the way to the end of the merge period, with the lane disappearing behind the line. I really hate this one, as usually when the dashed lines end, its very easy to tell that the lane merge is imminent for both lanes. I'm also used to that sort of dashed line indicating that the lane you are in is exit only. Street view doesn't seem to be updated enough for that line marking yet even though they're only a couple months old. I really don't even understand the logic for this one. The best I can come up with is thta when you reach the end of the merge, some people feel they need to stop others from passing them when its busy traffic, so they begin to drive in the middle of the 2 lanes to try to block those trying to pass in the merging lane. Perhaps they believe this will help them stay in their lane?  The first time I saw it, I was about to get off at the next exit, saw the dashed lines and assumed I should get into that lane, pulled into the lane and someone began passing me as my lane was coming to an abrupt end

jakeroot

Quote from: UCFKnights on August 17, 2015, 10:35:21 PM
Extremely long arrows and dashes on the option lanes, for example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5399471,-81.3188048,3a,25.1y,283.55h,86.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1seVt5CNEVZ7XLimn_0f1GoQ!2e0!5s20150301T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Right behind that you can see they also just added typical intersection right turn arrows. I think its looks pretty ugly, and is somewhat inaccurate, so there should be a better way to do it, but the area does have a lot of people who, from the right lane of the 2 exit lanes, feel they can choose either of the 2 exit lanes even if someone is next to them who has the option to exit into the left of the exit lanes. A fair number of people also seem to believe that from the right lane, they can change lanes right at the gore as well to continue going straight, seemingly getting upset when someone uses the option lane to exit as it makes that maneuver more difficult.

These long arrows were likely adapted from the UK, where they are used to indicate lanes that are either being added or lanes that are diverging from the present roadway. Florida is the only state that I know of that uses them. I think they are quite helpful, at the very least helping drivers in the lane directly to the right to recognize the optional lane which is also exiting (as you've stated). As for the drivers in the lane in which the arrows are placed, they may be helpful in assisting drivers as to what the lane they are in is doing, beyond the typical straight/right arrow. I don't think any studying has been done, but I think comparing the two, the long arrow sticking into the straight and optional lane (the new style) might be the more visible of the two. Though, to be fair, they aren't really built to replace one-another, but rather assist each other.

Quote from: UCFKnights on August 17, 2015, 10:35:21 PM
Another thing is when lanes are ending, they're adding the same small dashed lines that go all the way to the end of the merge period, with the lane disappearing behind the line. I really hate this one, as usually when the dashed lines end, its very easy to tell that the lane merge is imminent for both lanes. I'm also used to that sort of dashed line indicating that the lane you are in is exit only. Street view doesn't seem to be updated enough for that line marking yet even though they're only a couple months old. I really don't even understand the logic for this one. The best I can come up with is thta when you reach the end of the merge, some people feel they need to stop others from passing them when its busy traffic, so they begin to drive in the middle of the 2 lanes to try to block those trying to pass in the merging lane. Perhaps they believe this will help them stay in their lane?  The first time I saw it, I was about to get off at the next exit, saw the dashed lines and assumed I should get into that lane, pulled into the lane and someone began passing me as my lane was coming to an abrupt end

The closely spaced dashed lines are called, I believe, "edge extensions" or something of the sort and a number of states, and many countries use these markings to indicate when lanes are ending or beginning (alternatively, merging or diverging). The Ontario Ministry of Transportation calls them "continuity lines", and states the following:

"When you see continuity lines on your left side, it generally means the lane you are in is ending or exiting and that you must change lanes if you want to continue in your current direction. Continuity lines on your right mean your lane will continue unaffected."

For all practical purposes, the closely-spaced dotted lines you speak of ("edge extensions") mean the same thing. Personally, I like them and I find they reduce ambiguity with regards to whether or not you are in a lane or not. Wide-open spaces where lanes diverge and merge sort of bug me. These dotted extension lines help keep people in the right lane, in my experience. (WSDOT doesn't really use these except when there's a restricted lane involved or geometry which may result in incorrect lane usage, but British Columbia uses them extensively, in much the same way as Ontario).

jakeroot

Pardon the bump...

Hilo, HI has installed zig-zag edge lines leading up to some of their crosswalks. The typical US style is to place them in the center of the lane. I prefer the edge markings because it visually narrows the lane down, which may or may not heighten driver awareness...

Image from Dongho Chang (Seattle DOT traffic engineer) via Twitter:

cl94

Going back to continuity lines, most NYSDOT regions started using them quite extensively when the 2009 MUTCD came out. Few other states use them in such a widespread way.

With the original topic of the post (grinding out markings and repainting), the main place I have seen that is Region 4. Very common there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cbeach40

Yeah, it's fairly obvious when you cross the border.

https://goo.gl/maps/emVbjGhTXv52
and waterrrrrrr!

jakeroot

Quote from: cbeach40 on April 27, 2016, 08:38:56 AM

He already made it clear, eight months ago, that he was looking the wrong way in street view:

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 17, 2015, 10:32:41 PM
My mistake. Was on Street-view and didn't check which direction I was looking at.

cbeach40

Quote from: jakeroot on April 27, 2016, 04:49:43 PM
He already made it clear, eight months ago, that he was looking the wrong way in street view:

I was showing that the sign exists. For some reason I thought that a transportation discussion forum was an appropriate place to show a picture of a traffic control device.
and waterrrrrrr!

bzakharin

Quote from: cbeach40 on April 27, 2016, 08:38:56 AM

What's amazing to me is that this is the *only* indication that you crossed into a different country. In the US, crossing a *state* line is a bigger deal on all but the smallest roads:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0527172,-74.0254249,3a,75y,63.71h,101.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn25spanjAZNCwNOrU2SUvA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1?hl=en-US

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.