News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 121 and US 460/Corridor Q

Started by 74/171FAN, February 27, 2014, 02:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

The next segment of US 121-460 east to Grundy will be built as 4 lanes thanks to $ appropriated in the recent funding bill that averted a government shutdown.

mikereaser

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 06, 2023, 05:34:30 PM
US 460 isn't really useful as a standalone corridor between Pikeville and Bluefield.

Weeeeeeeell, it was for my family 1970-73 when we lived in Pikeville and visited my grandparents in Tazewell and/or Princeton.  :spin:

1995hoo

Thanks for the photos. I have my doubts as to whether I'll ever manage to visit that part of Virginia, so I appreciate being able to see pictures here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2023, 03:15:26 PM
Virginia, on the other hand, has to date built all of its corridors as four-lanes, along with a number of other routes such as US 58, Alternate US 58, and US 19 in southwestern Virginia. So it seems odd that they would leave the final segment of US 460 as a two-lane route.

In 2019, US 460 only had 2600 AADT at the Kentucky state line. It doesn't get to 5000 AADT until you get past SR 609 closer to Grundy. Traffic on VA 80 by the Kentucky line is only about 720. There's a pretty strong case to be made this road is never going to get enough traffic to justify four lanes, corridor or not.

The other thing is looking at the utility and cost of building the corridor. US 19 follows a valley, was comparably cheap to build, and diverts traffic off the overcrowded I-81 corridor. US 58/Alt 58 aren't really useful for through traffic, but they at least serve to knit the far western end of the commonwealth in to the rest of the state. Again, mostly in a valley so cheap to build.

US 460 isn't really useful as a standalone corridor between Pikeville and Bluefield. It follows an indirect routing where through traffic has other existing alternatives that are comparable in time/distance. There's nothing significant past Grundy (sorry, Breaks Park) and construction costs are high due to the terrain. The rationale for building US 19, US 58, and Alt 58 as four lanes don't really apply here.
Pfft.  Before I-64 was completed, locals in eastern KY swore by taking US 460 from Pikeville to points east.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: mikereaser on December 07, 2023, 04:59:05 AM
US 460 isn't really useful as a standalone corridor between Pikeville and Bluefield.

Weeeeeeeell, it was for my family 1970-73 when we lived in Pikeville and visited my grandparents in Tazewell and/or Princeton.  :spin:

Quote from: Rothman on December 07, 2023, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2023, 03:15:26 PM
Virginia, on the other hand, has to date built all of its corridors as four-lanes, along with a number of other routes such as US 58, Alternate US 58, and US 19 in southwestern Virginia. So it seems odd that they would leave the final segment of US 460 as a two-lane route.

In 2019, US 460 only had 2600 AADT at the Kentucky state line. It doesn't get to 5000 AADT until you get past SR 609 closer to Grundy. Traffic on VA 80 by the Kentucky line is only about 720. There's a pretty strong case to be made this road is never going to get enough traffic to justify four lanes, corridor or not.

The other thing is looking at the utility and cost of building the corridor. US 19 follows a valley, was comparably cheap to build, and diverts traffic off the overcrowded I-81 corridor. US 58/Alt 58 aren't really useful for through traffic, but they at least serve to knit the far western end of the commonwealth in to the rest of the state. Again, mostly in a valley so cheap to build.

US 460 isn't really useful as a standalone corridor between Pikeville and Bluefield. It follows an indirect routing where through traffic has other existing alternatives that are comparable in time/distance. There's nothing significant past Grundy (sorry, Breaks Park) and construction costs are high due to the terrain. The rationale for building US 19, US 58, and Alt 58 as four lanes don't really apply here.
Pfft.  Before I-64 was completed, locals in eastern KY swore by taking US 460 from Pikeville to points east.

Nearly 40 years ago, my brother was in a wedding in one of the Bluefields. He asked me for routing options. Having never been between Pikeville and Bluefield, I automatically said "US 52." It wasn't until many years later that I experienced for myself that I'd given bad advice, and US 460 would have been a better recommendation instead of US 119 and US 52. I don't remember if my brother drove US 52 on the return trip, or if he opted for another route, but I heard all about what a torturous route US 52 was between Williamson and Bluefield.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mikereaser

Quote from: hbelkins on December 07, 2023, 11:42:40 AM
Nearly 40 years ago, my brother was in a wedding in one of the Bluefields. He asked me for routing options. Having never been between Pikeville and Bluefield, I automatically said "US 52." It wasn't until many years later that I experienced for myself that I'd given bad advice, and US 460 would have been a better recommendation instead of US 119 and US 52. I don't remember if my brother drove US 52 on the return trip, or if he opted for another route, but I heard all about what a torturous route US 52 was between Williamson and Bluefield.

Sacre merde! Just Welch to Bluefield is purgatorial enough!!!

seicer

Yesterday, I visited Southern Gap to take aerial photographs of the ghost town on the mountain's summit. Here are some observations and thoughts:

- Unidentified Building on Sykes Boulevard: There's a building whose name has been removed. An abandoned car is in the parking lot, and another car, possibly for security, is stationed at the entrance.

- Infrastructure Condition: The infrastructure around Southern Gap shows signs of deterioration. VA 718 is particularly affected, with significant settling causing a rough drive. However, roads and sidewalks near residential areas and the town center are in better condition. I am concerned about the long-term stability of these structures due to inadequate land reclamation. The area is built on spoil, or crushed rock from surface mining, without sufficient geological assessments of the underlying material.

- Part of VA 718 is intended for four lanes but currently has only two.

- New VA 460/US 121 Route: Turning onto the new VA 460 (Corridor Q)/US 121 (Coalfields Expressway) from VA 718, the road extends east and transitions into a gravel path where construction is ongoing to connect with US 460 in Grundy.

- US 121 will split from VA 460 here. From that point west, US 121 is unsigned. I am surprised VDOT went ahead and signed US 121 as it only exists for a mile or so between that point and VA 718; within a few years, it will only extend to Grundy. No other segments of US 121 will be built in Virginia in the foreseeable future.

- The stretch of VA 460 between VA 718 at Southern Gap and VA 609 (Bull Creek Road) at Bull Gap is a four-lane undivided highway, which continues towards Grundy. The road has limited space for expansion, which might affect future road development. North of VA 609, it becomes a conventional two-lane highway within a four-lane right-of-way, expanding to a divided four-lane road at VA 80 (Breaks Park Road).

- Kentucky's portion of Corridor Q exhibits superior design, with limited access and divided lanes using a depressed median or concrete barrier. Near Elkhorn City at Cedarville, the new US 460 bridge over Russell Fork is nearing completion.

- Rejoining US 460 (temporarily signed as KY 3174) from KY 195, the drive to US 23 was swift, featuring few intersections and some interchanges with notably sharp ramps. The design could have benefited from wider loops for easier navigation.

- The new four-lane segments of US 460 should have a speed limit of 65 MPH, in line with similar roads in western Kentucky, to bring parity to eastern Kentucky's road speeds.

hbelkins

On my recent trip back to the future routing of US 460, I recorded the location of the "East VA 460/East US 121" sign.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vGf4H3cb9QddXkZT8

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

On November 7, 2023, officials marked the completion of a key segment of US Route 460 (Corridor Q). This segment extends from Breaks Park Road to VA Route 744 at Southern Gap, Virginia, spanning 8.7 miles, with a 2.5-mile overlap with the US 121 (Coalfields Expressway). This section signifies the initial completion of the Coalfields Expressway in Virginia. Read on: http://bridgestunnels.com/2024/01/02/virginia-opens-new-corridor-q-and-coalfields-expressway-segment/

1 US Route 460 (Corridor Q) at VA Route 609 (Bull Creek Road) in Bull Gap, Virginia

2 US Route 460 (Corridor Q) and US Route 121 (Coalfields Expressway) west of VA Route 744 (County IDA Road) at Southern Gap, Virginia

3 US Route 460 (Corridor Q) and US Route 121 (Coalfields Expressway) west of VA Route 744 (County IDA Road) at Southern Gap, Virginia

4 US Route 460 (Corridor Q) and US Route 121 (Coalfields Expressway) at VA Route 744 (County IDA Road) in Southern Gap, Virginia

5 US Route 460 (Corridor Q) and US Route 121 (Coalfields Expressway) east of VA Route 744 (County IDA Road) in Southern Gap, Virginia

6 VA Route 744 (County IDA Road) in Southern Gap, Virginia

Joseph R P

Google satellite imagery around Corridor Q has just been updated, for anyone interested: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2783469,-82.2509061,9404m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.