News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2022 Philadelphia, PA National Road Meet (August 20-21, 2022)

Started by roadwaywiz95, November 08, 2021, 02:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: andrepoiy on April 15, 2022, 08:37:30 PM
I am also somewhat concerned that due to my age, that I might not exactly have common dialogue with other participants?

Your concern is understandable... but the common dialogue you would have with the other attendees is your/our enthusiasm for roads and highways!  That, among other things, is what brings us together when we attend road meets.  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Haha yeah

I am also somewhat concerned that due to my age, that I might not exactly have common dialogue with other participants?
Up to you. If you wanna talk about roads, you'll find roads people. If you wanna talk about life, you'll find life people. Sports, women/men/romance in general, what's college like, future careers, anything you ever wanna talk about... dude, just show up and join us!

dgolub

Haha yeah

Attendees generally run the gamut from college age to retirement age and everything in between.  You'd be at the younger end, but you would not by any means be the first in that age bracket to attend a meet.  In fact, while I wasn't there at the time, I think that there was once someone 11 years old who came to a meet once.

sturmde

Quote from: okroads on April 15, 2022, 01:04:36 PM
I had an experience in 2002 where a hotel in Durant, OK, didn't accept my reservation because I was under 21. Ended up having to drive south to Sherman, TX, to get a room.

Advice from someone who has since worked in hotels for 17 years: I would advise calling ahead to check. Some hotels are stricter about the age limit than others.

When young, sign up for hotel loyalty clubs... make your reservations through the apps, and age will never come up... especially if the room is secured by a credit card already.

Nowadays, with accounts with IHG, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton, Hyatt... and even Best Western, Choice.. .and as a backup Hotels.com, you can pretty reserve anything everywhere...

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

okroads

Quote from: sturmde on April 16, 2022, 01:05:21 PM
Quote from: okroads on April 15, 2022, 01:04:36 PM
I had an experience in 2002 where a hotel in Durant, OK, didn't accept my reservation because I was under 21. Ended up having to drive south to Sherman, TX, to get a room.

Advice from someone who has since worked in hotels for 17 years: I would advise calling ahead to check. Some hotels are stricter about the age limit than others.

When young, sign up for hotel loyalty clubs... make your reservations through the apps, and age will never come up... especially if the room is secured by a credit card already.

Nowadays, with accounts with IHG, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton, Hyatt... and even Best Western, Choice.. .and as a backup Hotels.com, you can pretty reserve anything everywhere...

This was back in 2002 when I had that issue. There were no smartphones or apps at that time and rewards programs were not as easily signed up for as they are now (I don't know if this brand even had a rewards program at that time). My reservation was guaranteed with a Visa debit card, and was still turned away, even though I was solo and just needed a place to stay while on a short trip.

For present times, I agree; it's easier to be able to book a reservation, or even use a form of digital key using a smartphone with a Hilton or Marriott brand, and skip the front desk entirely. <- This reflects my personal opinion and not that of any current, past, or future employer.

Back to topic... I don't expect to be able to make this meet, but maybe things will change in my life for the better between now and then.

Brandon

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 11, 2022, 04:57:22 PM
Just a heads up that Philly is going to require masks indoors again, as per a CNN report. I was kinda expecting this, though.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Didn't the mask requirement just get repealed again?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

I am planning to finish my Philadelphia clinching tomorrow ironically enough.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dougtone

I can confirm that I will be going (sorry, folks), but just to Day 1 and the ballgame. At least with Choice Hotels, I found that most of the hotels are running over $100/night, but that makes sense given it's a weekend in the summer around a major city. I wound up booking a room at around that price point of $100. Just some food for thought.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Dougtone on May 02, 2022, 08:49:12 AM
I can confirm that I will be going (sorry, folks), but just to Day 1 and the ballgame. At least with Choice Hotels, I found that most of the hotels are running over $100/night, but that makes sense given it's a weekend in the summer around a major city. I wound up booking a room at around that price point of $100. Just some food for thought.

Personally, that's a great deal if you're anywhere in or very close to the city!

74/171FAN

I mean to mention that as of April 23rd there are still a few error US 611 shields on the streetblades along PA 611 between I-676 and US 1.

I most likely will only be going to Day 1 as well.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 09, 2021, 06:52:40 AM
QuotePennDot will have finished its most recent "gentrification" of Hanging Rock:
(PennDOT link) https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=6354
(History of "Hanging Rock") https://morethanthecurve.com/the-freedom-valley-chronicles-hanging-rock/

Thank you for reminding me that I should check this out.  Probably whenever US 13 is signed in Chester along PA 291.

As of this morning, the 511 PA Website shows the reopening of PA 320 here being pushed back to June 10th.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadwaywiz95

As we are now about 100 days from Meet Weekend (YAY), I've updated the weekend's iteniary to reflect more of the specifics as far as the weekend is concerned. These details are viewable on the introductory post at the top of this thread, but are also reproduced below:

Meet Highlights: (subject to change/elaboration/clarification, either on Day 1 or Day 2)

--- "Day 0" (8/19/22) ---

Introductory Welcome/Meet & Greet POOL PARTY - 6:00 PM, hosted by forum member "jeffandnicole" in West Deptford, NJ
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

--- Day 1 (8/20/22) ---

PRE-MEET EVENT: Schuylkill Banks Riverfront Trail walking tour --- 9:00 AM (bring your own coffee!)

Lunch Location: Miller's Ale House, 2100 S Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19148 --- 11:00 AM

Meet Tour Highlights:
Bridges of the Schuylkill River (including Girard Ave, Strawberry Mansion, Falls, and the Roosevelt Twins)
Roosevelt Boulevard button-copy sign gallery
I-95/Adams Avenue/Aramingo Avenue Connector construction
Bridges of the Delaware River (including Betsy Ross, and Tacony-Palmyra)
Lardner's Point Park
"I-95 Revive"  construction across NE Philadelphia
Philadelphia Navy Yard & the Mothball Fleet

Day 1 Post-Meet Ballgame: New York Mets @ Philadelphia Phillies (7:15 PM ET, Citizens Bank Park)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

--- Day 2 (8/21/22) ---

PRE-MEET EVENT: Manayunk Bridge & Trail walking tour --- 8:00 AM (bring your own coffee!)

Breakfast/Lunch Location: Oregon Diner, 302 W Oregon Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148 --- 10:00 AM

Meet Tour Highlights:
Bridges of the Delaware River (including Ben Franklin, Commodore Barry, and Walt Whitman)
I-295/I-76/NJ 42 "Direct Connect"  construction
I-295/NJ 42 "Missing Movements"  construction
The Brooklawn Traffic Circle (US 130/NJ 47/CR 551)
NJ Route 44 and the Mantua Creek Bridge
NJ Route 324
"NJ 76C" and the "Camden Inner Loop"

Day 2 Post-Meet Event: TBD

As I mentioned before, the general Facebook event page for this weekend has been split into two separate ones for each day of the weekend. Please take some time to familiarize yourselves with them at the following links:
Day 1: https://www.facebook.com/events/408997050713396?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22mechanism%22%3A%22your_upcoming_events_unit%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark%22%7D]%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3Anull%7D
Day 2: https://www.facebook.com/events/331956135645197?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22your_upcoming_events_unit%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark%22%7D%2C%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22left_rail%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark%22%7D%2C%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22calendar_tab_event%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark_calendar%22%7D]%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3Anull%7D

Other than the lunch locations (for both days) and the Day 1 post-meet baseball event, I'd like to call your attention especially to the Friday evening "Pool Party" event that our gracious host "jeffandnicole" has offered to hold as a Welcome/Kickoff Event for the weekend. It'll be held at his house in West Deptford, NJ, a short drive from the Walt Whitman Bridge and South Philadelphia and he is welcome to chime in with more information about the event. (his house, his rules, folks)

As you can see, there will also be morning "Pre-Meet" events both Saturday & Sunday that will involve walking tours of a couple bridge-themed pedestrian trails (both of which are ADA-accessible). The Saturday event will focus on the bridges of the Schuylkill River in Center City, the Sunday event will highlight the Manayunk Railroad Bridge and its recent conversion for pedestrian use.

Really excited to see that this weekend is really coming together. Come on out and let's make this the biggest single weekend road enthusiast event in a long time!
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on May 03, 2022, 04:19:05 PM
Other than the lunch locations (for both days) and the Day 1 post-meet baseball event, I'd like to call your attention especially to the Friday evening "Pool Party" event that our gracious host "jeffandnicole" has offered to hold as a Welcome/Kickoff Event for the weekend. It'll be held at his house in West Deptford, NJ, a short drive from the Walt Whitman Bridge and South Philadelphia and he is welcome to chime in with more information about the event. (his house, his rules, folks)

Thank you Dan!

For those arriving Friday or before, or of course already live in the area, my wife and I will gladly host anyone who would like to come over, swim, throw some horseshoes, and enjoy an evening in a relaxed environment.  We are located just outside of Philly; generally 10 - 20 minutes depending on which bridge you cross and the exact route you take.  It'll be a Friday late afternoon/evening, so add in additional time as you will experience some of the "Down the Shore" traffic congestion that's part of the area's normal rush hour routine as well!

The very preliminary plan is we'll provide the food; you provide your drinks.  We'll figure out the menu as we get closer but will try to provide various options for you to enjoy.  Feel free to use the party as an opportunely to meet and greet, discuss and exchange signs and maps, or whatever else suits your fancy.

I'll provide more details later as the meet approaches, but wanted to let you all know if you are making your travel plans, keep Friday night open if you'll like to come on over!

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 06, 2022, 01:11:51 PM
Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on May 03, 2022, 04:19:05 PM

Thank you Dan!

For those arriving Friday or before, or of course already live in the area, my wife and I will gladly host anyone who would like to come over, swim, throw some horseshoes, and enjoy an evening in a relaxed environment.  We are located just outside of Philly; generally 10 - 20 minutes depending on which bridge you cross and the exact route you take.  It'll be a Friday late afternoon/evening, so add in additional time as you will experience some of the "Down the Shore" traffic congestion that's part of the area's normal rush hour routine as well!

The very preliminary plan is we'll provide the food; you provide your drinks.  We'll figure out the menu as we get closer but will try to provide various options for you to enjoy.  Feel free to use the party as an opportunely to meet and greet, discuss and exchange signs and maps, or whatever else suits your fancy.

I'll provide more details later as the meet approaches, but wanted to let you all know if you are making your travel plans, keep Friday night open if you'll like to come on over!
I plan to come over Friday night - my attendance Saturday morning/lunch will depend on whether anyone's willing to host my sleep :-D Busy Saturday but plan to be at the game that night and possibly Sunday morning/lunch... same question as Friday!

roadwaywiz95

In addition to Jeff's pool party, something else I'd like to call your attention to as we're just about 100 days away from Meet Weekend:

As part of the overall preparation for Meet Weekend in August, my team of panelists and I will be presenting a two-part *live* Webinar series event on YouTube to serve as an introduction to the Philadelphia metro area for long-time viewers and/or folks interested in joining us in August in-person. Whether you are completely new to the Delaware Valley or you're a long-time enthusiast in search of a quick refresher, this series will be all-encompassing and will feature content related to all of the landmarks/roads/projects you can expect to see over the course of Meet Weekend.

The "Part 1" presentation will focus on Philadelphia County and the Pennsylvania suburbs and will be broadcast *live* on the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel on Saturday 5/21 at 6 PM ET at the link below:

The "Part 2" presentation will focus on New Jersey suburbs of the Delaware Valley region and will be broadcast *live* on the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel on Saturday 7/9 at 6 PM ET at the link below:

We're excited to be able to bring this series to you and hope you folks can tune in and join us!
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 08, 2022, 11:29:48 AM
I'm definitely interested in Part 2-Camden in particular needs a lot of TLC. I'm also particularly familiar with the 42 Freeway, as I used to drive that to community college in nearby Blackwood (though the campus is actually in Gloucester Township).

As far as this section goes, there's a planned bid later this year for a 'Pavement Preservation' project for Rt. 42 between Rt. 55 and the ACX. 

Per NJDOT's 6 month planned advertisement list:

QuoteProject Name : Rt 42, Rt 168 (Black Horse Pike/AC Expressway) to Rt 55

Project Identifier : UPC No : 213090
Project Type : Pavement
Description : Pavement Preservation - HPTO
Proposed Advertised Month : June, 2022
Municipality : Deptford Twp, Gloucester Twp, Washington Twp
Limits : NJ42: 6.22:12.57, NJ42: 6.33:12.57

Estimate Range : $10,000,001.00 - $20,000,000.00

Note:  NJDOT left out which direction is North and South in the above limits.

When it's said and done, after this project goes out, there will be *at least* 5 active projects along the North-South Freeway Corridor between the AC Expressway and Walt Whitman Bridge!  And this doesn't include 1 to 3 other upcoming projects related to the corridor scheduled to go out to bid within the next year or so!

Laura

I'm getting really excited about this meet as we are now 100 days from the Friday night pool party!!!!

As for hotels, yes I've encountered age restrictions before in Ocean City, MD. A lot of places refuse to rent to young adults under 21 (and even under 25) because they don't want to deal with the senior week crowds and college parties. When I went with friends under 21 you basically had to know someone who had a condo who was willing to rent to you.

Also, if you're 18, you won't be the youngest person at the meet! My 3 year old will be there :)

J3ebrules

Omgomgomg I'm so excited!! I can't believe this meet will be practically in my backyard!!
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

roadwaywiz95

A quick reminder that this weekend will feature the first of two special "Meet Preview" *live* webinars that will profile the Philadelphia metro area in preparation for Meet Weekend in August. These presentations will be hosted by yours truly and will feature contributions from folks across the AARoads Forum spectrum, many of whom will be in attendance for portions/all of the weekend itself.

This "Part 1" presentation will focus on Philadelphia County and the Pennsylvania suburbs and will be broadcast *live* on the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel on Saturday 5/21 at 6 PM ET. Whether you're a newcomer to Philly metro, or in need of a quick refresher course, we hope you can join us!

Link to YouTube Webinar:

NJRoadfan

I might have to show up to this. Might. Usually I eat and run.

roadwaywiz95

Greetings fellow roads scholars,

As we're now inside two months to go before Meet Weekend, I would like to start to encourage folks to decide their attendance status for either day of the weekend more definitively - this will be very helpful to me as I keep in touch with the restaurant venues for each day. It will also help me approximate how many vehicles to expect on each day's tour. As we are going to be in an urban environment on all of Day 1 and most of Day 2, the parking situation at each stop has to especially be taken into account on my end. You can do all of this via the Facebook event pages; I recognize that some of you who read this may not have Facebook accounts, so you're free to use any other method if you fall in this category.

I've been very quiet lately regarding how the Phillies/Mets game after Day 1 is going to be handled tickets-wise, but that will not be the case much longer. I will have further information on what interested folks need to do for that in the coming days (after I return from an upcoming long weekend trip). (I do not want to give out instructions until I have everything game-related lined up beforehand.)

Finally, you may notice that the initial post at the top of the meet thread has been modified once again to reflect (what I believe will be) the final list of highlights and tour stops for both days. Meet iteniaries for both days will be written over the next 6 weeks and should be made available to everyone in early August.

As always, questions & comments are welcome in all locations where contact with me can be made. Enjoy your summer, folks!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.