AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: NFL: What the Hell?  (Read 67669 times)

Billy F 1988

• Wyoming born, Montana bred, purely American!

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:57:15 PM
NFL: What the Hell?
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »

What's with these NFL players getting into legal trouble lately? Surely if the trend keeps up, Roger Goodell may as well kiss his sorry little behind and his commissioner career goodbye. Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Jerome Simpson, the list is endless. I'm getting quite sick of hearing about all this and hearing that Roger Goodell is not really adhering to his word. He talks the walk but doesn't f-ing WALK the walk. He either mans up or gets out. No more excuses, NFL!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

bing101

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:54:25 PM
Re: NFL: What the Hell?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/football-high/

Guys have you seen League of Denial the PBS Frontline episode from 2013 showing how the NFL screwed their last scandal the Mental health issues of Ex- NFL Players.  and there was another episode called Football High but it was examining school districts role in this

Brian556

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:18:44 PM
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »

These players getting in trouble off the field is nothing new. It has been going on forever. There have been several Dallas Cowboys whom have been in trouble for drugs and other stuff.

These guys getting into trouble should be no surprise. Keep in mind where they come from, and that they are just continuing to act as they did before they had money.

My uncle brilliantly stated that this is the same concept described in the Brooks & Dunn song: "You can take the girl out of the honkytonk, but you can't take the honkytonk out of the girl."

What Ray Rice did was the worst of these incidents. He needs to be shot dead. How someone can punch his girlfriend, and knock her out, and drag her around is beyond belief. He is an uncivilized animal.

Also keep in mind that football is a way to make a lot of money, even if you don't have a lot of brains.

Yes, there are a lot of other players whom are no like this, and are really good guys. Allowing the thugs to play in the NFL, and paying them huge salaries that they do not deserve has really tarnished the league's image, in my opinion.

The higher paying your job is, the higher the responsibility that should come with it.

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:29:22 PM
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »

The NFL is losing its ability to exist in an alternate reality.  All sports are, to some degree.  Donald Sterling gave the NBA a black eye too big to ignore.  Hockey players and now race car drivers get hauled into court for in-sport actions.  Baseball is finally being aggressive about PEDs after, oh, forever.   

It's easy to make life difficult for big, very public organizations.  Rabble-rousers can get the word out faster than ever.   These leagues are under more pressure than ever to cover their asses.

bing101

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:39:41 PM »

http://www.thesportsfanjournal.com/columns/ed-the-sports-fan/the-lost-tapes-season-2-of-gamechangers/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playmakers

Has Anybody heard of Playmakers on ESPN a decade ago. This series was supposed to be a "House of Cards" type show though. But ESPN was forced out of the series by the NFL. This is like the two Frontline Episodes about the NFL and School districts role in handling off field issues.

If Playmakers,and "League of Denial" Did not air on US Web Sites and TV. then I think the Accused players in the recent abuse scandals would have got away with the allegations. I don't think Ray Rice and other accused would have gotten the scrutiny we have today. I just think League of Denial made the Public more aware of Scandals the NFL is facing today. Also the TMZ Video of Ray Rice did amplify the scandal out of the Sports Talk outlets to the mainstream.

Adrian Peterson is still under investigation for a Child Abuse Scandal, the 49ers are still dealing with their own abuse scandal in San Jose, the Cardinals and the Panthers for similar charges.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:43:00 PM by bing101 »

Billy F 1988

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »

I just believe NFL needs a major ass overhaul, period. Had any of the policies Goodell said he and his staff are putting in place now were put into practice a long time ago, we wouldn't be on this site talking about Rice, Peterson, and company getting into all this hubub. But because Goodell, to me at least, is some rich hag, he lets some dink go scot free and everyone else pays the price even when they have no involvement. The NFL needs to clean their act up or it may as well go bye bye, which would suck for the good players having to find other careers if it went under, but that's what I forsee if the league doesn't take the lead on a lot of these PR issues that are tarnishing who they are.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:08:03 PM

nexus73

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:05:54 AM
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:30:15 PM »

If the bad actors are in jail they can't play. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bing101

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »

Remember the War Machine UFC Domestic Abuse Scandal back in August 2014? That was confined to HLN and TMZ due to low fanbase of this fighter.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »

Let's say that H.B. Elkins slugs his wife in an elevator, she hits her head and goes unconscious, and he drags her out of the elevator by the hair.

Should Kentucky's secretary of transportation suspend him from his job? Should there be calls for the KYTC secretary's firing if he does not suspend him from his job?

What is the difference between Elkins/KYTC/Secretary Hancock and Rice/NFL/Commissioner Goodell?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-terrell-suggs-fined-5512-by-nfl-for-wearing-gladiator-helmet-20140921,0,7514603.story

Check this out the NFL is more worried of a player (Yes its the Ravens Terrell Suggs) wearing a gladiator helmet and gets fined $5,000 for it but the NFL can't resolve their Domestic abuse and Child Abuse Scandals. No wonder Goodell NFL Board and Ravens team board are in the Toilet. :banghead: . :confused:

I see the Raiders wearing this type of stuff in Oakland

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:27:13 PM by bing101 »

Pete from Boston

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »

Let's say that H.B. Elkins slugs his wife in an elevator, she hits her head and goes unconscious, and he drags her out of the elevator by the hair.

Should Kentucky's secretary of transportation suspend him from his job? Should there be calls for the KYTC secretary's firing if he does not suspend him from his job?

What is the difference between Elkins/KYTC/Secretary Hancock and Rice/NFL/Commissioner Goodell?

Is there something you want to tell us?

What would have happened to Ray Lewis or Michael Vick if their respective scandals happened September 21, 2014?

bing101

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/09/22/349928619/nfl-looks-to-training-to-prevent-domestic-violence-by-players

NPR did an interview with a Psychologist. The Expert had some evidence that its the parenting methods thats influencing the behaviors of the NFL Players and Adrian Peterson was used as an example in this case.

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/22/350524788/congress-uses-recent-controversies-to-attack-nfl-s-tax-exempt-status

Another one is the Tax Status thats at play here with the NFL.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »

LOL, uh no, this was just a hypothetical I came up with.

We have actually been told that if we have an away-from-work incident that does not interfere with our work duties, that it will have no effect upon our work status. Obviously, if a driver's license is required to hold a certain job and that person has their license suspended, they can't perform their job duties anymore and would likely lose their job. Now I would venture to guess that if someone got sentenced to a jail or prison term that's longer than their accumulated leave time, they'd have to resign, but an accusation of domestic violence theoretically would not affect a KYTC employee's job.

Should there be calls for the agency head to lose his job if the KYTC equivalent of Rice isn't suspended from his job?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »

We have actually been told that if we have an away-from-work incident that does not interfere with our work duties, that it will have no effect upon our work status. Obviously, if a driver's license is required to hold a certain job and that person has their license suspended, they can't perform their job duties anymore and would likely lose their job. Now I would venture to guess that if someone got sentenced to a jail or prison term that's longer than their accumulated leave time, they'd have to resign, but an accusation of domestic violence theoretically would not affect a KYTC employee's job.

Should there be calls for the agency head to lose his job if the KYTC equivalent of Rice isn't suspended from his job?

I would guess that the rules are different for public employees.  In the private sector, it could be argued that the actions of its employees affect public perception of the company and therefore its ability to do business competitively.  But I only play a lawyer on the internet, so who knows.

The Nature Boy

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 03:13:48 AM
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »

I would guess that the rules are different for public employees.  In the private sector, it could be argued that the actions of its employees affect public perception of the company and therefore its ability to do business competitively.  But I only play a lawyer on the internet, so who knows.

The difference between the KYTC and the NFL is that Ray Rice is a known figure associated with the Baltimore Ravens and his behavior affects public perception, which helps drive revenue. If some random office employee with the Ravens had slugged his wife in an elevator, he'd probably be fine.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »

Slightly modified hypothetical question (mods in bold red)

Let's say that H.B. Elkins slugs his wife then-fiancé in an elevator, she hits her head and goes unconscious, and he drags her out of the elevator by the hair.

Would said-fiancé ulitmately marry H.B. Elkins?

IMHO, that seems to be the one question that nobody (outside of either Dr. Phil or Judge Judy) would dare to ask Ray Rice's wife.  Given what happened (and I'm not condoning Ray Rice's actions here) plus the fact that the incident occurred prior to their marriage; why did she even marry him?  Was the money he was earning worth going through all that?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Billy F 1988

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »

Money, rich boys with a bad attitude, a bad temper, and the NFL playing hackey-my-sackey with this scandal are bad concoctions of a brutal cocktail.

Hell no this was not worth the hell Rice's then-fiancé wanted to go through. She should have dumped the hag to begin with. Had she dumped him, we wouldn't be here discussing this, but, unfortunately, such is the world of the NFL where scandals breed more scandals where the deals are hot and the boys toys are dirt cheap to get with their multi-figure dollar contracts. It is unfortunate we have come to this realization.

Brian556

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:18:44 PM
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »

quote from phlbos:
why did she even marry him?

She's stupid as can be. Also, by marrying someone who does this to them, she, along with other women in her situation, as enabling their abusers.

Also, maybe in the world of low-class people, this is so common that the women don't even know that there are men out there who don't do this.
I just don't get it.

Pete from Boston

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »

Regardless, even stupid women have the right to not be hit.  There's a lot of senseless line-walking on this from so many people who should know it doesn't matter who she is, what she said, what she did, what her character was like–the only answer is, unless she came at him with a knife, the conversation is over before it starts. 

Ray Rice is a giant coward.

bing101

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »

Regardless, even stupid women have the right to not be hit.  There's a lot of senseless line-walking on this from so many people who should know it doesn't matter who she is, what she said, what she did, what her character was like–the only answer is, unless she came at him with a knife, the conversation is over before it starts. 

Ray Rice is a giant coward.

What about Adrian Peterson in the child abuse scandal. Somebody in Adrians Defense team claimed that the Viking's star was treated the same way (The beating by stick) as a kid by his parents how will this hold up in court. Or who gets the kid the state of Texas or the Mom. Ow Will this be about Adrian's mental health issues that s at play here.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »

maybe the lesson is that you shouldn't run head-first into objects all the fucking time, starting at age 7.

it's not "NFL: what the Hell" - it's the much less euphonious "football culture in America: what the Hell".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »

While I don't condone what Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson did, they deserve better than what they got. I realize that this is a very long shot, but they should get a second chance with another team. After all, their respective situations had nothing to do with any activity on the field, so this factor ought to be taken into consideration.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

• Last Login: April 26, 2021, 12:13:44 PM
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »

On the Adrian Peterson controversy, the thing people are failing to realize is that HE was brought up that way. If he did something wrong, he paid the price for it. I know that this is a type of punishment that has rapidly faded from the United States, but it probably kept him off the streets and doing other things. I don't want to be that guy, but I honestly think the fact that Ray Rice is an African American has something to do with how everyone is treating this. The common stereotype that everyone believes is that African Americans are more violent. I think that's a load of bullshit. If you lived in some of the conditions in some of the places some of these people did you would probably do what you had to do to survive as well. I'm not saying I condone any of the "thug" football players actions on and off the field, especially when it involves street gangs, but after looking at where some of the elite players (Richard Sherman, for example) have come from living as a child, you'd think people wouldn't throw race into the game for players' off-field (and on-field) actions. But, no, they do.

Back on the Ray Rice topic, hitting any woman, period, is unbelievable. I also like to note that he was placed in a program that fewer than 1% of New Jersey residents charged with domestic violence get that skirts around jail-time. What he did was honestly barbarian. The only reason I can think of why she married him was for the money - and to be fair - if you could marry someone like that who has that kind of money, would you forgive him? Most would. I don't think that he should get the "well don't do it again" treatment he is getting, but he deserves a second chance. Micheal Vick for example was extremely hated by MANY people (and still is) after his dogfighting incident. A lot of people think he should be dead or still in prison. If you look at what Mike Vick has done, he has learned his lesson. He has donated a large amount of money to many animal rights group in the world, he has served a prison sentence and he is a better man for it. A lot of people will criticize Mike Vick for actions he did in the past - and while we shouldn't forget them, we should also not look past what he has done in the future to correct his mistakes.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

hitting any woman, period, is unbelievable

but hitting a child is just fine? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.